Status
Not open for further replies.

Calliope-Shadow

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As part of my project, there's going to be a character riding inside a wagon. In order to convey the sense of motion, I wanted to make it so the screen shakes at a very low frequency. The problem is, I've been running into problems getting it to continue shaking while other things happen at the same time and getting it to stop after a set command (rather than having it run for a certain period of time). 

I intially tried using loops, but that doesn't work as commands won't move on until the loop is finished, thus negating the point for a loop. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this could be accomplished?

sock

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What commands are you using that should be in the same event as the loop?

Calliope-Shadow

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Try if the effects in the following script will help you:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/13941-map-effects/
That's a really cool script and I gave it a try, but the only command that even comes close to it would be waving the screen, and that's not quite what I want.

What commands are you using that should be in the same event as the loop?
Shake screen. I want to have it continue to loop (so I don't have to set a particular time for it so it'll just loop back once it reaches the end) but I also need some other commands (in this case, dialogue) to continue to go on as the screen shakes.

lightleaf

My burden is solely mine and of no one else.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Guess > <
Primarily Uses
Maybe you could try making a parallel event (not sure how to call it...) that loops the shaking action while the main event still runs the dialogues. When you want the carriage to stop rocking, you could use a switch to turn off the parallel event.

...Um... I haven't actually tried this out, so it's just a theory.

*Edit* I tried it out and it worked, but the file is too big for me to attach here.

Autorun.png

Parallel.png

Last edited by a moderator:

sock

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well yes... Make what ever dialogue you want as a separate event, whilst the shake event is set to loop and parallel.

To stop the shake on command. Firstly create a switch that will call the shake to stop. Then create a new event page on the shake event and set it so its empty with the 'when switch is turned to ..." And set it to ON! (You will find this option to the left on the event page) Then, simply place the control switch in what ever other event you are using to stop the shake. This separate event will have to be player touch. (Or something to this effect)

This should work. Note: Your dialogue shouldn't be in the same event as the looping shake. Because (as you've discovered) it wont work.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Or just condition the first/only event page by a switch, and turn the switch on when you want it to start shaking, and off when you want it to stop.

Inside the loop, add the shake command, along with a Wait for X Frames (however long it should take for the shake to happen), as you don't want to launch a screen shake on every single frame.

Calliope-Shadow

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you! You guys are awesome--- this works perfectly! I'm still a bit of a newbie and I hadn't used parallel events before. I knew there HAD to be a way to do it within the program somewhere, thanks for showing me how! Also thanks a ton for the pictures Lightleaf. The dialogue you had there gave me a laugh.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Happy Friday, y'all! I just got home from work and am sitting down with a nice cider, and I'm ready to chill and enjoy myself. Not sure if I'm gonna dive into any of my game-related projects or not tonight.... we'll see how I feel after unwinding for a bit I guess!
Just found out that mint tea made from chocolate mint tastes a bit like hot cocoa with candy cane stirred in. As I'm allergic to chocolate this makes me very happy.
It's special day for me tomorrow so time to vanish for 24 hours lol.
So Deltarune Chapter 2 is supposed to release today... if it's out already, has anyone played it? And I can't because I have a stinking Mac and not a Windows PC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aels