How to make the game look bigger.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Ziel_graywords, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Ziel_graywords

Ziel_graywords Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, I hope this is the right place to ask this. Well I'm trying rpg-maker mv, and my problem is that the default sprites look really small. I tried an automatic zoom in of 1.5 (50% more), and while that works to make the character's bigger, it also stretches the images. I wonder if there is a way to make everything bigger without changing the tile-size (since that corrupts the game) or stretching the sprites.

2. WhiteW

WhiteW The Murderous Clown Veteran

First Language:
    EN/PT
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmmmmmmmmm could edit the sprite size on an image editor perhaps?

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    2D-games work differently on display than 3D, and you just stumbled over some of those effects.

zooming 2D picture will almost always result in quality loss or distortions of one or another type.
    The ony cases without those problems are full zoom-multiples using nearest-neighbour-mathematics.

so a zoom of 1.5 will always be distorted, but a zoom of x2 or x3 has a chance of working.

Seacliff and WhiteW like this.
  4. Arend Galenkamp

Arend Galenkamp I DO STUFF Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why not just change the resolution? Or is it only something for a certain moment or time?

5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Game Mechanics Design is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. This query is not about a mechanic as such. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using.

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

6. Romanticist

Romanticist Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is one of the biggest reasons why I use VXAce, actually. There is a great script that can solve this problem. MV, not as much... but I have a decent solution.

Install Galv's Screen Zoom plugin.
    Make a common event, Parallel Process, turn it on at the beginning of the game (or whenever you like) with a switch.
    Inside the common event, use this script call:
    Code:
    Galv.ZOOM.target(0,1.3,1)
    And replace the 1.3 with whatever zoom factor you want.

As mentioned, anything that's not an integer (like 2, 3, 4) will not be pixel-perfect, but I don't think it looks bad at all. A few pixels will be stretched here and there. I guarantee the average player unfamiliar with game creation will not notice the pixel stretching, and even ones who are familiar probably won't be bothered by it if they notice it.
    With a large enough screen resolution though, using 2x (or even 3x) zoom is probably worth it anyways.

The only problem I know of with this solution is that I hear parallel process common events can cause lag? In a new, empty game project, I haven't had any problems, though.

If you want to use high resolution GUI or character busts or etc, then low res isn't a viable option.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  7. Weremole

Weremole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Making or finding assets that fit your project is "easiest" I think.

WhiteW likes this.