How to map this with the RTP?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by jonthefox, Jan 13, 2018.

1. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

It's hard to explain what I mean here, so I included a screenshot. Is there a way to map stairs that go down the opposite way, to balance out the elevation in a map? For example, if you start down below, you can go up the steps to the "higher elevation"...and then if you keep going north, you should "go down" steps to get back to the "base" elevation. I tried using a variation on the step tiles to achieve this, but it still looks like the player is just climbing up to an even higher level of elevation, instead of going back down to the base level of elevation. Is there a way to map this? Sorry if this is something obvious but I can't seem to figure it out...

Map130.png

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You need graphics of stairs facing that way.

jonthefox likes this.
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've done it with shadows and the stairs as you've mapped them. Go to the shadow pen, and shadow the stairs going down. Usually it works for me to shadow the bottom half tile.

jonthefox likes this.
  4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You need to reduced the number of pixels between steps.

If you look at stairs going up in that perspective, you'll see both the step and the elevation of the stairs. When looking at stairs going down, not only will the elevation be completely invisible, but the higher step will also hide part of the lower step, making the step appear to be smaller even if it is not.

jonthefox likes this.
  5. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd use an image editor like Photoshop or Gimp and rotate the stairs around 180 degrees so that the fat steps are on the bottom and the thin ones are at the top. Hopefully, this will give you the illusion that the stairs are going the other direction. You'll probably want to toss this into a new tile sheet. Definitely don't overwrite the original because you'll mess up all you other stairs.

6. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Simply rotating them won't work because of the perspective. As Andar said, you need to edit them so there is less of the stairs visible.