Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! So I've ran into a few problems where on multiple instances, my rpg maker is "unable to read" my game files/ is corrupted, and I am not sure what causes it. I was told it's because it takes a while to save properly after closing the program but this has made me paranoid. How long am I supposed to wait for it to be saved? How can I know if it's been long enough? Please let me know if theres a way I can make sure my project is saved before turning off my computer? :rswt2:

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't really understand this problem, honestly. Saving the project takes a few seconds, if the program is closed, you don't need to wait anymore. It should be saved. If the files are corrupted, then most likely the program closed unexpectedly (e.g. the program crashed or the computer turned off before you closed the app). Also, if your project is taking too long to save, there's probably something wrong. Have you checked if this happens on a fresh project as well? Perhaps your computer is too weak and does not meet the requirements of the program?

Ps. Always remember to back up your game often!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks. And I always close it normally and it does not crash, so I'm left to assume my computer is just too weak :kaoback: I have no idea why they keep getting corrupted since I save and close, then turn off my computer. I am backing up my game in google drive now but if you have another reccomendation for restoring and backing it up let me know

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks. And I always close it normally and it does not crash, so I'm left to assume my computer is just too weak :kaoback: I have no idea why they keep getting corrupted since I save and close, then turn off my computer. I am backing up my game in google drive now but if you have another reccomendation for restoring and backing it up let me know
I always make a backup of the game folder every two days on local drive, too. Then if something will happen, I will lost only two days max., and I always overwrite the backup after that two days, so I have like two copies of the same game on my local drive, that's pretty convinient for me (of course I also do backup on gdrive or dropbox like once per month, in case my PC system broke or sth). An unpleasant experience also taught me to ALWAYS have a backup :hswt:

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was told it's because it takes a while to save properly after closing the program
IIRC, the actual problem arises if you shutdown your computer right after closing the editor. There's still something going on that can fudge with RM if you shutdown too quickly. I lost data once because of this. Thank God I had a backup.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@thehipsternugget

There are three main reasons why files can become corrupted, and two of them can easily pprevented.

1) two different file access operations at the same time.
This is what was mentioned above as cloudsync as that is the most common variant: a cloudsync happening while the editor is active.
And the most problematic part here is that Microsoft tries to get your files into Onedrive without telling people the consequences, because Onedrive is a cloudbased program.

2) Power failure on the drive
To speed up everything, your data on your drives is cached in its RAM-cache first and physically saved onto disc only afterwards.
The main reason for the shutdown sequence is actually to wait until the harddrive gives the all-clear of having saved the cached operations before cutting power to the drive.
For USB-Drives there is actually a setting somewhere to determine if their cache is used or not, to either speed them up or to make them slower but safer agains sudden removal from the port.
And never forget that having a main switch at your power connector to cut off power to computer, monitor, printer and more is actually an artificial power failure if that switch is used before shutdown is complete.

3) Regular file corruption
This is the rarest case, and you have absolutely no control over it.
Any file can become corrupted by accident, which is why people tell you to make backups of your important data.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was told it's because it takes a while to save properly after closing the program
I have never experienced this. It could depend on your computer hardware, but if you're working on an internal hard drive, pressing Save should be pretty instantaneous.

MV has your JSON files open while it's running and is continuously writing your changes to them, so there's not a lot that actually needs to be written when you save.

What @Sword_of_Dusk said is possible - as Andar described, saving is first cached in RAM and put into a queue to be written to your disc. But the closing of the software and the shutdown process of Windows should be taking this into account. So if you're not pulling the plug out immediately, this shouldn't be any issue for you.

I find it much more likely that repeated file corruption is from something else on your system. You can check what others mentioned about cloud services; you might also do a scan to make sure you don't have any malware messing with your system, and you can run a scan on your hard drive to make sure it's functioning properly.

kyonides

Reforged is laughable
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Also check if you have installed any windows update that might be messing with your apps in particular or systemwide.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Going to make my Anniebelle dolls into murderous cowards, when the lights go out they swarm, otherwise they flee and attack from a distance...
annieBelle.png

....just look at those beady little eyes. Terrifying! :kaoswt:

Stream for those who like to watch. :LZSwink:
So I sent my game demo to be entered into a game showcase. They asked if I had a website for my game. So I listed my game page here. I don't know if that will count or not.
mp8LcCp.png

Astarte, redefined.
Parenting pro tip. Don't neglect your child. Otherwise it's going to become like me. I can't count how many times I've heard that I'm just wasting away my potential. But I have no drive to pursue anything. I just want to live and then die.
Today on things that probably bug only me: the non-tabloid numbers on the notable members page. I just always wanna push them a little so they are neatly aligned xD
1675223733127.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lupus-Vulture