How to place multiple, separate events on one tile

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Ichigoeater, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ichigoeater

Ichigoeater Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hi, everyone.

I am VERY new to the RPG Maker game system, but have gone through tutorials for literal days. I've tried looking for an existing post to my problem, and it may be telling that it doesn't seem to exist. This may be a stupid question.

You see, in my game there is a point where there's a different item the player can investigate on three different sides of him (a painting to the north, toy to the east, and flower pot to the west). The character is right next to all of these things, on one tile. I know I could avoid trouble by just making the player have to search the item in one specific direction, but the gameplay doesn't feel as smooth that way. I could also move the items around a bit, but the setup I have has grown on me, and it's a small room. Besides, I'm sure this question will probably come up later, so I'd like to figure it out now. It may also be important to note that the toy already has a variable function, where the character says something different after first discovering it, and that the concluding dialogue still works from the side if I satisfied the variable from the front of the toy.

I've already tried a couple of things. I tried having multiple dialogue based on the direction the character is standing. I tried incorporating self switches and regular switches. I've even tried variables. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong that should be obvious? Please help me...

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Put the events, with no graphic, on the wall on top of the mapped item, OR on an empty wall and set the graphic to the tile image you want. Make sure the event is set as Same As Character.

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  3. Sauteed_Onion

Sauteed_Onion Mmm Tasty Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm very picture oriented, if you still can't figure this out, can you either post some images here or in a pm? I will try to assist you, meow.

4. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    OP is saying they are trying to have the player interact with 3 different objects using one event in the middle of them all like this:
    helpthing1.png

I am suggesting to use three separate events, placed on top of the items - or, in the case of the picture possibly below, but the player won't know that - like this:
    helpthing2.png

And that in order to make them work, they need to be set to Same As Player.
    helpthing3.png

It's a simple solution but one that is easy to overlook when you are new. I know I did. :D

taarna23 and Sauteed_Onion like this.
  5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's what I'd do too. The event needs to be placed ON the item you want to interact with, and set to Same as Characters (it defaults to Below Characters if you don't give it a sprite).

6. Ichigoeater

Ichigoeater Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Thank you so much, everyone! I wasn't expecting such a fast response!

It really was as simple as that. Everything's running smoothly, variable and all. Now that I have a better understanding of the Priority tag, I'm going to have to edit a lot of events now for a cleaner setup.

Thanks again!

7. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.