How to Play ANY RPGMaker on Mac OS X (Updated in 2020)

candybar121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have recently been requested for information on this thread and since I can no longer edit the thread to fix a broken link, I am updating it entirely for the modern day.

This will be broken down into 10 easy steps, or 4 different sections.
  1. Editing the Game
  2. Adding the RTP
  3. Editing the Wineskin
  4. Adding the Game
Things you need:
1. RTP Files These "Run-Time-Packages" are specific files created by RPGMaker themselves and are VERSION SPECIFIC. Download the same version as your game.
2. Wineskin This awesome open-source software runs the game and does all the hard coding for us.
3. A game.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Step 0: Any files you download might come in a compressed (.zip, .7z) file, or an uncompressed file (.exe, a folder, .dmg). Before you begin, right click any .zip or .7z files and uncompress them. Now you can access the actual contents.

Step 1: Download your game, and open the file 'Game.ini' by right clicking it, and clicking open. It may tell you that your Mac doesn't know how to open the file, so click open with application, and open with TextEdit in your Applications folder.
In TextEdit, look for where it will say one of the following:
RTP= This is good, leave it as is.​
RTP=RGSS Simply remove RGSS so it says RTP=
[RPG_RT] Add the line FullPackageFlag=1 below everything else.​
Save and close the file. This will trick the game into thinking the RTP was included when the game was made, if the author chose not to use the RTP files originally.

Step 2: Now we must add the RTP components to the game. It's not as simple as dragging the contents of the RTP in the game, but instead all the sub-sub-files from the RTP may need to be moved into the sub-sub-files of the game.

For example, in VX Ace both the game and the RTP folder have a folder called 'Audio'. In that folder there are 4 subfolders called 'BGM', 'BGS', 'ME' and 'SE.' Copy all the songs inside the BGM folder from the RTP folder to the BGM folder in the Audio folder, in the game files. And then do the same with BGS, ME, and SE.
If there is a folder (for example, 'Graphics') which is in the RTP folder but not the game folder, then copy that folder (Graphics) to the main "area" of the games files (Where 'Game.ini' and 'Game.exe' are.)​
If a message comes up saying there can't be two of the same thing in the folder, just hit "Replace for all" or "Skip for all".​
Step 3: Now that we tricked the game into thinking the RTP was in the game, and then actually put the RTP files in the game, we just need to make it run. Since Macs can't open .exe files, we will use some magical software made for this exact kinda thing! Download and open Wineskin.
(By the way, Wineskin doesn't only work for RPG Maker games. It works for nearly all PC only applications.)

Step 4: First, we have to set up Wineskin. There should be a message saying "New engines available!". Click the + button, and a new window called "Add Engine" should appear. Click the scroll list where it says "WS9Wine1.7.9" (If the numbers are different, that's okay. It just means there is a newer version out).
Scroll to the top of that list and click on the most recent one. Now click "Download and Install".

Step 5: On the main screen, look for where it says "Wrapper Version". If you can, click "Update" and get the latest version.

Step 6: Now click "Create New Blank Wrapper" and type the desired name. WARNING: You can not change this later without creating a new wrapper.

Step 7: While it creates the wrapper, it might ask you if it is OK to install a couple things. Let the programs install, as they will make your game run optimally.

Step 8: After the wrapper is completed, click "View Wrapper in Finder". It will open a new finder window and show you the wrapper itself. For ease of use, I recommend dragging this to your desktop, or some easy to access folder in your computer, instead of leaving it buried in the default location. Double click it, and you will see a menu with a tab called "Install Software". 3 options will appear, so let me go over those.
The first option lets you run a single .exe file. This means the entire game would have to be in that one file. Choose this if your game only has a .exe file and nothing else.​
The second option is to Copy a folder inside. This simply copies the folder you select into the Wineskin. Choose this if your game has many files and folders. (This is most games.)
The third option is to Move the folder into the application. This does the same thing but permanently moves the old game files into your new game files.​

Step 9: Choose an option (Copy recommended), and select the folder that contains ALL your game data. Let it load in for a bit, then a new window will pop up asking you to select a .exe file. In most cases, you should only have one choice. If not, select "game.exe". Then click "Ok" and close out Wineskin.

Step 10: Finished! Re-open the application, and it should load the game after a few seconds.

Error?
If it throws you an error about font(s), then you need to install them on your system. Close the game before installing the missing file(s).
This is why I recommended copying the game, as usually the missing font can be found in the original game files.​
If not, a simple internet search will yield the right fonts. Install them by downloading then double clicking them.​
Finally, re-open the application.

This guide has pictures

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This seems useful so let me move this to tutorials.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks dor this. Going to be useful.

candybar121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Glad to help! Let me know how it works

Mhin Ra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you for writing up these steps; I would never have figured out this was even possible without them!

I think I followed the steps, but when I launch the resulting wineskin, nothing happens. Like it switches to the game's wineskin in the mac title bar, but no window boots after 3 minutes.

I think I am following all the steps except that my game.ini says nothing about RTP, so I left it that way (essentially skipping steps 1 and 2). This might be because I an already including the full RTP in my game? I am using VX Ace, if that matters. I also installed both fonts that are in my fonts directory on the mac, although I never saw any font-related errors.

Essentially, the skin just boots and seemingly does nothing. Do you have any ideas about what's going wrong or suggestions as to how to debug it? I'm not a mac user normally, so I'm pretty lost as to how to get diagnostic information or anything.

candybar121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for writing up these steps; I would never have figured out this was even possible without them!

I think I followed the steps, but when I launch the resulting wineskin, nothing happens. Like it switches to the game's wineskin in the mac title bar, but no window boots after 3 minutes.

I think I am following all the steps except that my game.ini says nothing about RTP, so I left it that way (essentially skipping steps 1 and 2). This might be because I an already including the full RTP in my game? I am using VX Ace, if that matters. I also installed both fonts that are in my fonts directory on the mac, although I never saw any font-related errors.

Essentially, the skin just boots and seemingly does nothing. Do you have any ideas about what's going wrong or suggestions as to how to debug it? I'm not a mac user normally, so I'm pretty lost as to how to get diagnostic information or anything.
The only thing I can think of is because you skipped Step 1 and 2.
Try going back into the game.ini and add the code RTP= , then make a new wineskin and re-add the game.
Without that line of code, the game will check to make sure all the default graphics are installed on the system which only works on Windows.
Adding the line of code skips the Windows check.

Mhin Ra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah; I will give that a try.

The only other thing I could think of is that I'm using Zues' full screen override, which does essentially redirect the game's graphical output. I think that wouldn't prevent a window from coming up, and it's just using fairly standard GDI rendering APIs underneath... but I can rip that out and see if it has an impact. Similar possible concern with Wolfpad, as I believe that is calling DirectInput APIs under the covers. But, as 'offroad' as those are for ruby, they're not weird at all from a Windows perspective, so I'd be surprised if a generic emulator (i.e. wine) was having issues with them.

I'll report back in a bit :)

So, report back is that it didn't work. I added RTP= and also tried to copy in all the RTP data (although the way I'm building the packages, I've essentially already copied all the used parts of the RTP into my normal game image and deleted the rest, so that step was fairly uneventful). What is the error behavior if the game is missing assets? Like will it just boot an empty window and do nothing, like I'm seeing? Are there logs or anything we can read to try and figure out why the wineskin is failing to boot the game?

Last edited:

candybar121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm using Zues' full screen override, which does essentially redirect the game's graphical output.

Similar possible concern with Wolfpad, as I believe that is calling DirectInput APIs under the covers.
Yes these are most certainly the source of your problems. Both make several calls to Windows scripts and if they can not be found, will crash the game.
Specifically Wolfpad is known to crash if unable to find DXInput.
Please remove both of these from the game so it can be in it's least modified state, and re-attempt the process.

If the game can actually run in the Wineskin, but then encounters errors (such as font, RTP, etc) then it will display an error message through the wineskin.

If the wineskin is running with no errors and no visuals, then that means the game is not even booting.

Last edited:

Mhin Ra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm... so based on what I'm seeing, the game isn't even booting. I am seeing no errors or visuals; just the name of the game in the menu bar, with the wineskin menu options. If I understand correctly, that is unlikely to be a result of anything we've talked about so far, right? Like certainly wolfpad or the Zues full screen would be a crash after boot, but even the RTP thing would present as an error dialog as the engine attempted to load resources.
Given that, do you have any idea what I could be doing that would cause it to not even boot? I definitely pointed the wineskin at game.exe during the setup steps...

Sorry that I'm being such a pain; I am fairly baffled as to why this isn't working for me :(

candybar121

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not sure what's going on with it, hopefully you've figured it out!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I'm trying to run a game using wineskin but it says i cant copy the folder because something went wrong. Please help.

Edit: It turns out i just had to be patient, but after it finished the game wouldn't open and its because i didnt include any rtp files. I downloaded the files, but how do i include them in the foldeer if the rtp itself is an exe file?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
--- Diary ---

M.Mage: It's the F.Mage's Diary. While she isn't here,i can read it.

May, 10: I'm hurt after the battle with the Minotaur. But luckily,F.Healer heal me with her Heal-2. That why,i Fall in Love with her.

M.Mage: Eh???
So... some of my Desktop hardware has kicked it apparently (still trying to figure out what and how at the moment :/ ) .... yay?
Stream will be live shortly with some Darkest Dungeon! Feel free to drop by!
Made a HUGE (YYOOOOJJ) Update to Monstructs and moving towards a Steam Early Access release!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
touchegambling