How to portray mastermind villains in RPG games?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kupotepo, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    https://www.businessinsider.com/professions-with-the-most-psychopaths-2018-5
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/s...n-dc-the-psychopath-capital-of-america-218892
    https://mic.com/articles/44423/10-professions-that-attract-the-most-sociopaths#.Myv8S0pt3
    https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/features/sociopath-psychopath-difference#1

Hello everyone. I think the ultimate antagonist or the masterminds are to portray for me. Of course, I can just portray a mastermind villain against want to conquer or destroy the world cutscenes. In the real world, evil masterminds do not operate like that because they have somewhere in a spectrum of sociopath or psychopath. They have little or no conscience. "In real life, some people with an antisocial personality disorder can be violent, but most are not. Instead, they use manipulation and reckless behavior to get what they want."

'Cold-Hearted Psychopath, Hot-Headed Sociopath'
    "Psychopaths are more “cold-hearted” and calculating. They carefully plot their moves and use aggression in a planned-out way to get what they want." Yes, ordinary people would sometimes do bad things. However, Psychopaths will millions of people without any remorse, sometimes make them feel happy. That is why Psychopaths have more chance to win a game of power. That is why I plane to make mastermind has psychopath personality. How to portray in a game can be very hard in (Lying pathologically, Superficial charm and glibness, Conning others; being manipulative, Lack of remorse or guilt, or Blaming others and refusing to accept responsibility)? I can tell players, but that would unprofessional of me. Sorry to bother you all.:kaopride:

2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You have to admit, I've always wondered why some villains wanted to destroy the world. Maybe they just had bad allergies and that was the only way they could be allergy free?

In all seriousness, I attempted to address this some by making my villain having a motive to unite the world...by force. Regardless of what everyone else thinks of it. Some cheer him on, thinking it is a good cause, and others, which include you feel he should be stopped.

Kupotepo and The Stranger like this.
  4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In simple term, the villain just disagrees with how the world works. The disagreement comes from many sources. It could be how bad is humanity. And if you looked at some perspectives, personally, I find the "destroying" the world and its motivation is a valid action to judge their ambition.

Being too overpowered and bored can also be the reason too. I once felt overpowered in a game, hit the level cap, and I was bored. So I attacked civilians out of the lul. So I sort of know how it feels to become a villain.

5. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like others said, it's more about the why than the how. If he has a good motive for what he wants to achieve, than it's a good start. I often go for the cliché of revenge due to past events imputable to society (so he wants to destroy the Empire/country/world to get revenge).

Kupotepo likes this.
  6. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TheoAllen, thank you for a comic and a video. If you read about a dictator or a mass murder, they are very charming and charismatic in front of you. Ordinary people would think they are a saint or a hero without deep knowledge. The end goals for them ruin the lives of people who criticize them, enslave others, demand constant compliment and stay alive. The minor villains wouldn't be complex web waving like that. Real Machiavellians do not prefer murder because it would other enemies. If the murder occurs; then the dictator has to purge the whole family. Real Machiavellians prefer laws and psychological warfare to destroy the will of enemies.

@bgillisp, yes, many villains just outright conquering the land and do not care about the enslavement of populations. (Many claims to want to unite the world, but their actions do not indicate that. (Propaganda))

@MushroomCake28, ordinary people would go for revenge for justice, but these characters are crazy power hungry. The end goals for them ruin the lives of people who criticize them, enslave others, demand constant compliment and stay alive.

Blaming others and refusing to accept responsibility---when the villain mastermind get caught, they blame an unfair society or following a blind order or this popular one (I make mistake sorry, but not sorry or I am a victim too).

Why we as a society cannot detect evil if it is easy to detect?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019