Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello again! I'm here asking another super n00b question ;w; I'm trying to make just a few doors a bit longer/taller
than the standard or default doors, and even after following some tutorials, I seem to keep doing something wrong?

My doors keep being cut off strangely, and even though I (think?) have made the door sprite/tilesheet the same width/height the same
for the empty spaces... I've provided images to illustrate my problem:

rpgsc1.png

and my file I'm using:
SF-Door3.png

I've tried using a "$" and a combo to "fix" this issue, but so far nothing's worked ): I'm using the default door found in the SF_INDOOR tilesets,
and stretched 'em to be at least double or x2 the original size, thinking it would be easy but! Lo and behold; I'm stuck

I'm using RPG Maker MV, Steam edition

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Your door is 48 x 96 px in size. This means one character block (3 animation frames x 4 facing directions) is 144 x 384 px. By default, RMMV splits the spritesheet into 2 rows x 4 columns of character blocks; if the filename has a $ at the start then the sheet is treated as one character block, rather than eight. :kaopride:

The provided image has size 576 x 587 px, that's what's causing the odd frame sizes. :kaoswt:

Consider either:
  • Making it taller (resize to 576 x 768 px), or
  • Renaming it to something like $!SF-Door3.png and resizing it to 144 x 384 px.
Edit @Runnyyy: oh and putting ! at the start of the filename makes it display level with the bottom of the tile in-game, rather than 6 px above it; it's recommended for "objects", like doors~

Last edited:

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your door is 48 x 96 px in size. This means one character block (3 animation frames x 4 facing directions) is 144 x 384 px. By default, RMMV splits the spritesheet into 2 rows x 4 columns of character blocks; if the filename has a $ at the start then the sheet is treated as one character block, rather than eight. :kaopride:

The provided image has size 576 x 587 px, that's what's causing the odd frame sizes. :kaoswt:

Consider either:
  • Making it taller (resize to 576 x 768 px), or
  • Renaming it to something like $!SF-Door3.png and resizing it to 144 x 384 px.
Edit @Runnyyy: oh and putting ! at the start of the filename makes it display level with the bottom of the tile in-game, rather than 6 px above it; it's recommended for "objects", like doors~

Oh wow, thank you so much! this fixed my issue haha! I have dyscalculia so sometimes numbers and the like confuse me and make it hard to comprehend;;

Because of that, would you mind explaining how you got the number 768 for the proper size? (I'm sorry if this is a childish request, I'm honestly curious due to my number comprehension disability ; v ; )

J-G

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just times the sprites height and width.
For example height of your sprite by number of rows and for width is sprites width times sprites in the columns.

Runnyyy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just times the sprites height and width.
For example height of your sprite by number of rows and for width is sprites width times sprites in the columns.

yeah I thought I got it right the first time I multiplied the sprites height and width, but I guess I was wrong
haha! Thank ya'll :>

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yea, I did this~
  • Sprite height: 96 px
  • Block height: 96 x 4 = 384 px (because 4 facing directions)
  • Sheet height: 384 x 2 = 786 px (because 2 rows of blocks per standard sheet)
...and something similar for width (48 px, times 3 columns per block, times 4 blocks per sheet). :kaothx:

Note that if you don't have a calculator handy then you can use a spreadsheet, or type this kind of stuff directly into Google search, e.g. https://www.google.com/search?q=96+x+4 (similar thing may apply to other search engines, not sure).

Happy RPG Making! :kaojoy:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.
Much as I love my job, I really hate playing "office politics". It would be nice if I didn't have to pretend to be someone else all day long.
I wanna get back into showing off Battlers and other assets I create again. But i'm always haunted by the "It's not good/realistic enough" voices that keep me from doing so.

Maybe I should get back to it, I did enjoy showing off whatever I came up with!
Big Google Warning Today for chrome users - apparently some kind of security threat has happened and everyone is being advised to update their Chrome browser ASAP by going to settings and/or "About Google Chrome", to update their browser version to a new one just released.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skull8