Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey all,

So I was asked to write a short tutorial on publishing a Game as Webbrowser game so that others can play it instantly. RPG Maker already outputs a game as an HTML/js application, so there isn't much work to do.

Before hosting a game as html/js application, be aware that due to their nature, any 3rd-party Plugin will be made public to others. In this case, you should obfuscate and domain-lock their source code with this tool: https://obfuscator.io/

Before following this tutorial, you may think about uploading it on itch-io, then you don't need to purchase a personal domain + webspace.

What you need
- FileZilla
- a Hoster that provides you a domain and a little bit of webspace

There are a lot of Hosters out there where you can purchase a domain, including some webspace. I personally use 1&1 Ionos, but more because of psychological reasons as their headquarter is in my hometown, and I had some connections during university. And they have nice customer support.

Let's go

Step 1: Export
In RPG Maker, click on Export and choose "Webbrowser". Don't deploy inside your project directory, as this sometimes causes some confusion. Just select an empty directory.

Step 2: Connect FileZilla with your webspace
Your Hoster will give you the details you need to connect. I recommend creating a directory "Games" on it. Drag&Drop your Game directory into it to upload it on your webspace.

1629017566701.png

Step 3: Connect the Domain
If not already done, go into your hoster's domain settings and link the domain with your webspace. Optionally you can set up a subdomain as I did.

The link that you want to distribute to the players is

Code:
yourdomain.com/path/to/your/game/directory

In my case:

Code:
play.aerosys.blog/rng-demo

Do not include the HTML file in the link, the link points to its directory instead.

Last edited:

Timmy77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you for the tutorial

But how do saves work ?

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Save files are stored by the browser's local storage, you don't need to do anything.

Timmy77

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Awesome ! And the sound files (.OGG) are supported by the web browser?

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
They work fine for me

jgdeutsch

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the tutorial

But how do saves work ?
We developed a login system with email/Google authentication so that game saves can be restored from any device (so if you move from one device to another, the game can still be restored)

Here is a demo:

If anyone would like the code please let me know.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

For some reason, I found this is kinda stylist
ready to fall into another development hell...
Mega has been giving me a lot of problems as of late, so I think I'll need to switch to another cloud service. I'm considering Dropbox.
Rough week, but in the end there's light in the darkness.
Mental health is an issue I wish was taken more seriously.
Take care.
1638421271905.jpeg
By the power of timezones! This picture shall still be posted on december 1st!!!
7xI2Gc2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotcupofjoe2