How to put Custom Weapons and Armour into RPG Maker MV?

rapidredneck1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im a noob here trying to learn to use RPG Maker MV to build a game without using the default character sprites i have pretty much figured out the Cgharacters and how to use them in the maker but what i need to know is how do i put weapons and armour into MV to make them appear on the characters when equiped i have the Weapons and Armour sheets allready and in the right placement on the sheets and formated right but i dont know how many armous/weapons sheets you can use in mv? MV comes with 3 Weapons sheets i know dont know about the armour yet i havent figured out what directory those are in yet would i just and my Custom Weapons Sheets to the Directery with the Default ones and name them in order from 3-4-5-6 ect? please if anyone could help me with this i would very much appreciate it.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the default sheets and a few custom images are assigned to weapon types in the system tab of the database.
to add more weapon images you'll need a plugin to handle things.

coyotecraft

Mythographer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
In both MV and MZ, the drop down menu selection list for weapon type's motion image...is kind of broken. Or at least, poorly designed. You'll see it has some 30 choices with predefined names like "Dagger, Sword, Flail..." with "User Defined 1-6" at the very bottom of the list.
You can actually have more than 30 weapon images. It's just that you can't select anymore because the editor is limited to this predefined list of 30 items. Which is dumb because you might replace the Weapon1.png with something different, so a "Sword" might not be a sword at all.

What you can do is find the System.json file in your project's "data" folder and open it in a text editor. You can find the "attackMotions" array and manually input a weaponImageId higher than 30. In the Rpg Maker editor, the entry will appear blank. But the data is there. The default battle system can intuit the proper sprite sheet that the Id number should be on. It could be like id:1078 found on Weapon90.png or something.
uK07rrG.png

rapidredneck1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the default sheets and a few custom images are assigned to weapon types in the system tab of the database.
to add more weapon images you'll need a plugin to handle things.
Can you recomend a plugin does Yangfly have one? and if possible where can you you find more information on doing this?

rapidredneck1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In both MV and MZ, the drop down menu selection list for weapon type's motion image...is kind of broken. Or at least, poorly designed. You'll see it has some 30 choices with predefined names like "Dagger, Sword, Flail..." with "User Defined 1-6" at the very bottom of the list.
You can actually have more than 30 weapon images. It's just that you can't select anymore because the editor is limited to this predefined list of 30 items. Which is dumb because you might replace the Weapon1.png with something different, so a "Sword" might not be a sword at all.

What you can do is find the System.json file in your project's "data" folder and open it in a text editor. You can find the "attackMotions" array and manually input a weaponImageId higher than 30. In the Rpg Maker editor, the entry will appear blank. But the data is there. The default battle system can intuit the proper sprite sheet that the Id number should be on. It could be like id:1078 found on Weapon90.png or something.
uK07rrG.png
You just went way over my head with that like i said im a newby trying to learn but i am determined does each weapon need a SV sheet as well?
I dont nescesserly need to replace the default weapons but want to add my own custom ones as well as sheilds but mayby i have to replace the default?

Aphotic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You just went way over my head with that like i said im a newby trying to learn but i am determined does each weapon need a SV sheet as well?
I dont nescesserly need to replace the default weapons but want to add my own custom ones as well as sheilds but mayby i have to replace the default?
In the project directory, under img\system\ are three files, Weapons1, Weapons2, and Weapons 3. Weapons1 and Weapons2 each have 12 weapons, representing a total of 24, or Dagger through Stun Rod as seen in the System tab of the Databse when you customize Attack Motions. Weapons3 represents User-Defined 1-6, with the book animation on Weapons3 being a placeholder for User-Defined 1. Each separate animation is 288x64 within the sheet.

To use custom weapon animations, you can modify any of the three files and replace the animations they contain with your custom animations, although you'd want to replace User-Defined 2-6 first since they're already blank. The names won't update, obviously, so you'll just have to know which position they're in.

EDIT: The second part of coyotecraft's explanation is how to edit your game files to allow for more than 30, but as they note, each entry after "User-Defined 6" will appear as a blank slot. This is strictly fine, but you would have to know what each blank slot represents.

As far as plug-ins that do this for you, Yanfly has a plugin for Weapon Animations that circumvent this system by using note tags to designate the animation position, but it is one of the paid plug-ins from Yanfly.

coyotecraft

Mythographer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The Weapons3.png has 5 empty weapon images you can add in your own. And you can edit/replace the other weapon image sheets as well. I'm just letting you know that the selection list in the database is predefined and limited. The sword image on Weapons1.png is "weaponImageId: 2", in the drop down menu it's named "sword". You can edit the sprite sheet and replace it with a Bazooka or whatever. But the editor's database will always say "sword".

Editing the the system.json data to work around it is easier done than said.

rapidredneck1

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Weapons3.png has 5 empty weapon images you can add in your own. And you can edit/replace the other weapon image sheets as well. I'm just letting you know that the selection list in the database is predefined and limited. The sword image on Weapons1.png is "weaponImageId: 2", in the drop down menu it's named "sword". You can edit the sprite sheet and replace it with a Bazooka or whatever. But the editor's database will always say "sword".

Editing the the system.json data to work around it is easier done than said.
Ok this i better understand sounds like MV makes it kinda complicated just to change a weapon! but i guess thats what learning is about i have premade weapon sheets wityh the ani. all in the right positions so if i just copy and paste the right ones into the system 2-3 files then they should work correctly right? im also using custom sprites that the weapons sheets came with so everything should match up.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

DamageEvil_6.png added!
index.php

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.
ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkEchoid