Davõr Jörmling

THE Dr. Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have a website page here that I would like to put the demo of my game on.

The website is made using Wordpress, and hosted with InMotion Hosting, if these details mean someone can provide me with a more detailed explanation it would be awesome! :)

How does one go about doing this? I have deployed the game for browser, and know it involves moving the www folder to... somewhere. I've looked in the file browser of my hosting server and am completely lost (assuming that is even where I go). <- For InMotion hosting this would be the file manager found in the Cpanel.

EDIT: Sorry I wasn't very clear on what I wanted! -_-  I want any visitors to be able to play the game directly on the website (think something like the good old miniclip.com days ideally), not simply be able to download it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MenaKatep

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Use an FTP program to upload it to the website. Unless WordPress comes standard with some sort of inhouse ftp type system? Anyway, you'd upload like a zip file or apk or whatever your distributed file type is and then create a direct link to the file on a post about the game.\

EDIT: Wait are you talking about playing the game via the browser? or adding the game to the website's file directory and making it available for download?

Davõr Jörmling

THE Dr. Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Use an FTP program to upload it to the website. Unless WordPress comes standard with some sort of inhouse ftp type system? Anyway, you'd upload like a zip file or apk or whatever your distributed file type is and then create a direct link to the file on a post about the game.

Wow thanks for the quick reply!

Ok so I'd use Filezilla to upload the .exe file (or a different one?) somewhere on my server and then link to it right?

The first part makes perfect sense to me, but how does one link directly to a file on a server? Is it as simple as creating a link where the URL is the file location?

MenaKatep

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, to make sure we're on the same page this would only cover placing the game on the website so someone can download it and execute it from their own computer or device. That is what you wanted, correct? Not to allow them to play the game directly from the website? 

If it is just to allow the game to be downloaded, then yes you would simply upload it. However for an .exe file, you'll want to put the entire project in a zip folder and upload that. 

Davõr Jörmling

THE Dr. Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oohhhh no no no!

I should have been more clear - my bad  - I want them to be able to play directly on the page (or pop up, new window/tab, whatever works).

I already have the downloadable game thing figured out and use google drives for that.

MenaKatep

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, then I'm really not to sure. As far as I knew, MV wasn't designed to deploy for web play unless that's changed and there's something I'm not aware of. I know that there are systems available that allow you to create 2D type games through Javascript but none tied to RPG Maker in any way.  :unsure:

Edit: Well a Google search did turn this up.  http://www.wabysaby.com/tutorial/rpg/rpg-maker-mv-exporting-or-deploying-to-web/

I guess that would make sense. I just hadn't seen any of that. :o

Gonna test it out with my website. One sec!

Davõr Jörmling

THE Dr. Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hmm there has to be a way to do it though, something like this.

If I'm recalling correctly, wasn't one of the game's/software's demos an in browser experience created through RMMV to showcase that capability?

MenaKatep

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So basically the idea is, you'll copy everything from the project folder and upload it to its own folder via ftp. It's going to take a while as there are lots of default images, but you can use the program I got a link to, in the edited post above, to clear out unused resources. You'll then be able to link to the folder the project is uploaded to as it has an index.html webpage in it. Just link to the folder's html file and it will bring up the game. I don't know if there are any limitations to gameplay via a website though. I'm going to test it out thoroughly though haha

Davõr Jörmling

THE Dr. Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Wow awesome tutorial find! And thanks a bunch for your help/explanation! 

I will test this out myself after I go snag some food and report back here. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MenaKatep: you're wrong, the deployment to website was and is the primary function of RMMV - all local exes are nothing but browser-exes wrapped around the HTML-code for web deployment.

@Davõr Jörmling: Basically you need an FTP program to upload the entire content of the WWW folder to a new folder on your website, and then place a link to that new webfolder on your wordpress site.

MenaKatep

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@MenaKatep: you're wrong, the deployment to website was and is the primary function of RMMV - all local exes are nothing but browser-exes wrapped around the HTML-code for web deployment.

@Davõr Jörmling: Basically you need an FTP program to upload the entire content of the WWW folder to a new folder on your website, and then place a link to that new webfolder on your wordpress site.

I'm aware of that now. I didn't realize that the program itself creates an HTML 5 document with which to play the game. The rest of the thread covered that and basic setup information.

Davõr Jörmling

THE Dr. Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
When attempting to access the index.html locally I am greeted with an error saying "Failed to load: data/Actors.json". But how might I fix this error? The Actors.json file is present under data, and the .exe file runs the game fine so I am confused.

So I tried uploading it to my server and then accessing the url given by FileZilla (ftp://ftp.davorproductions.com/public_ftp/www/index.html) it changes the page to the game's name and loads a black screen. I am inclined to believe this means it is working, but the black screen is a result of the Actors.json error no? 

Going to the file manager through my host gives me a different url (http://davorproductions.com/public_ftp/www/index.html), but all I get is a 404 error. So why is the ftp etc necessary in the url?

MenaKatep

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Did you copy the entire project folder over? or just the index.html? You will need the entire folder in order for it to function correctly. The ftp in the URL is not nessecary, that's just given by filezilla because thats the name of the location it placed the folder. You'll navigate to it normally. So if for example, you created a folder called images at the root of your web server you'd navigate to http://davorproductions.com/images/  to get there. Same thing with your game folder! It should automatically run the game from there.

Also, the only way to run the game locally is by using the exe for it or setting up a web server on your home computer that will execute JS like apache.

Davõr Jörmling

THE Dr. Penguin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes all the files were there.

I contacted InMotion's live chat and they were super helpful. Apparently I was just linking it wrong (just cut out the extra /home/ and whatever nonsense I had). Live version is here: http://davorproductions.com/Haldorthr/www/index.html

Good to know about the local playing, but I guess now it is working on my site it doesn't matter XD

Thanks again for all your help!

MenaKatep

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes all the files were there.

I contacted InMotion's live chat and they were super helpful. Apparently I was just linking it wrong (just cut out the extra /home/ and whatever nonsense I had). Live version is here: http://davorproductions.com/Haldorthr/www/index.html

Good to know about the local playing, but I guess now it is working on my site it doesn't matter XD

Thanks again for all your help!

Glad everything got figured out! :)  I'll go try it out today too!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Is it necroposting if I ask for more info in my own months old thread? All the information in the thread is relevant
JRPG TextBox HTML - Part 2:
So I'm resuming work on the Shadowstar Trilogy. I've decided that it will take place between the end of G4 and the start of G5, and two of the Lost Rulers will be Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer (who is the moon princess in my AU).
Been working on some sprites, My favorite out of all of them is this guy, his name is Moss:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emileewitt