SodaTears

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hello, I would like to know if there is a way to reduce the UI scale.
I am trying to make a game with a smaller resolution, which is 11x10 tiles. I am aware that the base game is 17x13 tiles, but this feels too big as I am going for the retro feel with limited tiles on screen.

When I shrink the game below the default resolution though, the UI breaks as seen below. I tried changing the font size but that doesn't change the UI windows and box size. I also tried changing the size to 13x13 but some text still go out of bounds.

UI Too Big 2.PNG

If there are ways to change the UI layout or scale the windows and buttons down, please let me know. Thank you in advance :)

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There is no UI Scale parameter as you might be imagining it. You would need to individually edit each window and sprite to suit your resolution and layout preferences.

SodaTears

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I see, and how do I do that? Does it involve plugins/scripting? If it's not too difficult I would like to know.

Kenen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
For starters, take a look at the default JavaScript files. Specifically, rmmz_scenes.js, rmmz_windows.js, and rmmz_sprites.js. Then search for how to create a plugin.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does it involve plugins/scripting?
basically yes.

you would need a plugin that replaces the menu screen.

there are several of those around, but they usually add info and make the menues fit larger screen sizes - I don't know of one that would fit smaller screen sizes.
and that means you might have to commission a custom menu plugin if no one is willing to work on a free request like that.

no matter if free or paid however you need to decide what info to remove from the screen to make it fit. Or what to rearrange to make the same info available in two different screens.

SodaTears

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
All right, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, Kenen and Andar! I'll try tinkering with the javascript files :)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Moving to Plugin Requests

I would not tinker with the javascript files. If you make any changes to those and a new version of the engine is released (which is happening from time to time atm) and you update your project, all your changes will be lost.

If you want to do it yourself, find the functions you want to change, copy them out and into your own .js file in the plugins folder, and make your changes there. Then add that as a plugin to your game. Updates won't touch it, and in most cases, will not cause them to break either.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

would i get in trouble if i didn't take out the computer icons on my fake computer screen i had Discord, Messanger, and rpg maker up
Auto-Adjust Text Outline, Run Common Events on Transfer | RPG Maker News #111

I sweep the floor. My brother, "You didn't do a good job. There are dust bunnies everywhere." He sweeps the floor weeks later. "I just swept. Why are there dust bunnies everywhere?" Me," Guess you didn't do a good enough job."
Today, I tortured my internet by downloading 20 files at once and then I played a guessing game as to which would finish their download first :kaojoy:
Oh god, just watched HawkZombie's stream of my game and realised that *none* of the branching scenes work properly. One has no character graphic, one soft locks due to a passability issue, and one doesn't have its autorun set to the right trigger. I've got first prize in the bag, baby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fenrir_