How to remove a "not chosen actor"?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Tristanv100, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Tristanv100

Tristanv100 Villager Member

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    So I've made a system when players can choose their character, it is a 1player game without a party of other characters. So when the player has chosen their character, how to remove the other one. So that the other one is not showing up in your save files of the game AND in your menu? Because now I have the problem that the other character is in battles and my savefile and menu...
    (you can see what I mean with menu battle and savefile with the attached photos) In my case I'am player and I want to remove female because I have not chosen her in the begin of the game!
    Thanks for answering!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. SwiftSign

SwiftSign Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You just use the event command to change actors, it’s on the first page on the right hand side iirc.

3. Tristanv100

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I know there is a page of change actors but how do I do it then? And where to put it??

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature and work through the tutorials listed there, especially the eventing tutorial.

there are several ways to do what you want, all using basic eventing commands and procedures - and you'll have to learn how to create events that do what you tell them in order to complete your game.

5. Tristanv100

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I dont know where to look at your page to find my specific problem I think that my problem is a little different than you tell on your page. (sorry if my grammer is bad im dutch you know :p)

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, your problem is that you're looking for a specific solution without knowing the basics.
    Nothing in that tutorial is about solving specific problems, the entire tutorial is about teaching the basics of game development with the RPG makers.
    And you'll have to work through everything there (which usually takes a month for most people) to learn those basics.

But you have to learn those basics or you'll never finish any game. Telling you a specific solution without you knowing the basics is useless in the long term - as you've shown above because you were given a specific solution but you didn't understood it because you are missing the very basics. And one month with my tutorial is the fastest way to learn those basics, people who try to learn everything in their own without such a tutorial as guidance usually need a year or more before they really know how to use the engine.

7. Tristanv100

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    im asking for a specific problem to solve and iam not here for a whole tutorial of making a game i want to make progress.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Tristanv100
    the problem here is that you can't make progress if you don't understand what's happening in the engine.

above you were given one of the possible solutions - use the change actor event commands instead of having two actors.
    another possible solution is to use the change member command - which is one of the most basic commands there is and doesn't need a tutorial at all, and anyone who even checked the available event commands once each should be able to use that.

however, both solutions will result in different consequences to a lot of other events - at least if you want your game to react to the choice made by the player. If that is just a choice of what ability the player has and no NPC anywhere in your game reacts to that choice, then you can just use any method.
    But if you want to the NPCs to react differently depending on the choice, then you'll need different event structures throughout your game for those reactions, depending on which way you you choose to remove the non-choice.

And that is why you should take the time to learn the program before going further.

Two other reasons:
    1) it will speed up your work.
    Do you want to spend a month on learning how to do things correctly and then be able to finish your game in a year?
    Or do you want to bungle along, never understanding the consequences of following a specific tip, resulting in additional problems along the way and needing three years to complete the game?

2) no one has ever finished their first game project.
    Even the best game makers out there that have half a dozen commercial games on sale never finished their first game project, they scrapped it after they learned how to do things better and started anew.
    Because it is easier to start anew than to rework a project that has already used bad eventing and bungled everything up.

So it is usually a lot easier if you accept that you'll need a learning project to familiarize yourself with everything before working on your real first game. And that first learning project should never be your "dream game", because you will scrap it - and scrapping your dream project is something a lot of people can't handle, they end up abandoning their dream.

9. Tristanv100

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Thanks anyway, indeed maybe i will not finish my first game but i do it for the fun and i like to create my own things it is not made for a real game release for steam or something but i know what the basics are maybe not anything. I cant make scripts, and you are right with you need to learn the basics because otherwise it is to difficult and it will take years to understand things. I only need to know one thing and that is how to remove the not chosen actor is there a way to just simply remove it with a sort of event or command at the beginning? And if you dont know or you want me to read the basics on your page can you please tell where to look for that specific problem? Thanks anyway!

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    and that is a question that I already answered - you need to use the change member command if you want to do that, exactly as I said in my previous post.

11. boikish

boikish Always trying to help :) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    As Andar said, this is one of the easiest things that you can do.

Set your starting party to have both actors. Create an event that forces a selection from the player. Depending on the selection, remove the other actor from the party, done.

That being said, I 100% second everything Andar has said. If this is something you are having an issue with, there is no doubt that you will come across multiple issues during the creation of your game because your fundamental understanding of the engine is lacking. It's not a bad thing. No one picks up the system and is an expert overnight. Taking the time to watch a few introductory tutorials or work through the starting points tutorial will ensure that you have a much more seamless process in the long run.

Good luck, have fun!

12. Tristanv100

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Depending on the selection, remove the other actor from the party, done. But how do I do that?

13. SwiftSign

SwiftSign Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Using the event commands that have been mentioned several times already.

Make a condition for their choice, then remove a party member depending on who they chose.

Attached Files:

14. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How you do that is you learn how to event! Which is what he told you to do! Learn how to event. Period. There is no other way. It doesn't take long. Here, watch a video:

1)

2)

3)

If you can't make an event YOU CAN'T MAKE A GAME. It's really quite simple: you need to learn how to use events. No amount of asking "how do I do this" is going to solve the underlying problem. It's like trying to do trigonometry if you can't add.

15. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As stated, it depends on how you have selected the other player.
    And after that it is click on the command to change member, set the options you want and click on OK.
    There is nothing to this but three clicks with the mouse - but how to do that depends on YOUR system.

If you don't know how to enter three clicks into your system, then show us screenshots of how you made that system (the events you already have) and then we can be more specific.

And if you only pretended to have that system where players can choose, but haven't made a single event command for that yet, then
    1) the answer is to follow the tutorials to learn how to make an event
    2) next time, don't pretend to have anything if you don't even have that event that let's the player choose if you haven't made it.

16. Tristanv100

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I found it i'm so dumb... I did this already but added something that wasnt needed. Thank you guys for the help though!