Not open for further replies.

judg3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
romanian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hello, RMForum, I need some help. I am doing an event that secretly replaces your character's name, ie. George, to George[insert blank character here]. There's nothing to complain about the event itself, everything works perfectly.

But when I do that, I get this square character.
1616364171460.png
Is there a better blank character or way to actually pull this trick off?

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I didn't get it right, is that what you need?
VXA-ChangeNameSpace.png

Obs: Although the "Event Commands" systems work exactly the same, I replaced the image.

Last edited:

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think he is talking about RPG Maker VX Ace.

Which character are you using? is it the Alt+255 character? (this one: ).

You could try changing your game font, I bet the default font shows that unavailable characters as squares.

stramin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
spanish
Primarily Uses
N/A
But don't the event commands work equally on both engines?
I think there are some differences, but I couldn't point out all of them.

I remember having some text position issues on VXA I don't have in MV.

I still thinking it could be a font problem, Dev, can you try using an Alt+255 character? (I dont have VXA installed)

judg3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
romanian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think there are some differences, but I couldn't point out all of them.

I remember having some text position issues on VXA I don't have in MV.

I still thinking it could be a font problem, Dev, can you try using an Alt+255 character? (I dont have VXA installed)

Alt-255 brings me this, which doesn't allude to the trick i wanna pull off.
1616391911405.png

The one I used is the first character you can copy (Step 1) from https://emptycharacter.com/. It does the job until it doesn't, because the square character shows up.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Why are you putting a space (or other character) at the end of the actor's name?

judg3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
romanian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Why are you putting a space (or other character) at the end of the actor's name?
Okay so let me explain.

I'm using Archeia Battle System for my game, and it uses an ACTIVE turn order, which shows character portraits you gotta make. One of the characters, that being 4943 here, changes the face sprite, and I want that to happen in the ABS too. My idea was that I could pull that off if I made it change the name from "4943" to "4943[blank character that is actually invisible here]" in the background, and it does work except for the square at the end. I don't want the square to show up.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That box is a "space delimiter" whatever you call it again commonly used in JP. There's a lot of ways to fix it but your screenshot shows me nothing. Just some examples:

Download these scripts:
Lonewolf’s Custom Font Junk Symbol Fix
Mezzolan’s Arrow Fix (Put this below Victory Aftermath if you’re using that.)
and while at it...
Mithran’s Text Cache Fix

It should fix this bug:
1616396261321.png

If this is your issue:
O9oYbAD.png

Go to line 312 and 313 and look for these (IIRC Yanfly Cores):
:add_buff => “%s{“, # Appears when a positive buff is applied.
:add_debuff => “%s|”, # Appears when a negative buff is applied.
Just retype %s but don’t add { or |. There’s an invisible letter between %s{ that you can’t see unless you can see Japanese text.

judg3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
romanian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I
That box is a "space delimiter" whatever you call it again commonly used in JP. There's a lot of ways to fix it but your screenshot shows me nothing. Just some examples:

Download these scripts:
Lonewolf’s Custom Font Junk Symbol Fix
Mezzolan’s Arrow Fix (Put this below Victory Aftermath if you’re using that.)
and while at it...
Mithran’s Text Cache Fix

It should fix this bug:
View attachment 183608

If this is your issue:
O9oYbAD.png

Go to line 312 and 313 and look for these (IIRC Yanfly Cores):
:add_buff => “%s{“, # Appears when a positive buff is applied.
:add_debuff => “%s|”, # Appears when a negative buff is applied.
Just retype %s but don’t add { or |. There’s an invisible letter between %s{ that you can’t see unless you can see Japanese text.

I tried the scripts you mentioned, besides the second one because I don't use the Victory Aftermath plugin, but I still have the issue. Should I put it even if I don't use that?

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The one I used is the first character you can copy (Step 1) from https://emptycharacter.com/. It does the job until it doesn't, because the square character shows up.
It's likely a font issue if the problem is still there.
Are you using any custom fonts? Or what fonts are you using

judg3

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
romanian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's likely a font issue if the problem is still there.
Are you using any custom fonts? Or what fonts are you using
I added Yanfly's engine recently, and I changed the regular font to be Consolas. But even with the default RMVXA font, it still does it.

EDIT: it's even worse with Consolas
1616409801890.png

EDIT 2: Arial seems to fix my issue up, so I'll keep looking for other system fonts that work.

If a moderator reads this, you can close this thread. The issue is solved. Thank you to the people who showed up in this thread. ^^

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

@judg3 please do not put messages to moderators in your posts. If you need a thread closed, just report the first post and say it's solved, and we'll take care of it. Someone else saw your comment and reported the thread on your behalf - otherwise we likely wouldn't have seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Winter Cover.png
Peeps, can we just take some time to appreciate the mods here? They're so friendly, and they're always there for us when we need help. Now that I've been here for two years, I want to thank the mods and admins for keeping it positive here on the forum. They're the reason I've stayed so long! Here's to you!
If it gets 6 degrees hotter we've reach 100
I am finally done making the 'superbosses' in my game!
I'm happy because oh my gosh they were a lot of work, but I'm also sad because I love database work... And also because I loved making stupid powerful bosses ._.
Question for anyone who reads Slip into Ruby or Jump into Javascript: do I sometimes get too "explainy" with the methods/functions? Would it be more useful if I stuck to explaining what the code is doing rather than also delving into minutiae of the technical side of it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fartsucker