Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's interesting.  I just tried it and got the same error.  I'll see if I can follow up for you, and maybe suggest some alternatives.

(edit: I just tried to email them, and it came back undeliverable.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mizuotaku

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That would be a big help to us all, the install shield software is way out any ones price range over $2k for the basic package.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I'm looking forward to reading that. Do you mean BMT instead of Plimus? Lately Plimus has gone downhill, I'd recommend BMT for newcomers. :)

amaranth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm looking forward to reading that. Do you mean BMT instead of Plimus? Lately Plimus has gone downhill, I'd recommend BMT for newcomers. :)
Totally agree. This is one of the things I'm changing in the guide. BMT Micro is much easier to work with.

Mizuotaku

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I deeply thank you for updating this tutorial as it will help others.

Tsukitsune

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Totally agree. This is one of the things I'm changing in the guide. BMT Micro is much easier to work with.
What's the current progress on the new guide? 

Winterfate

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Apologies for the necropost, but since this is pinned, and since my question is tangentially related to this guide...

First of all, I'd like to thank Amanda for her excellent guide on how to sell your own game. It has helped me a lot and given me even more to think about.

Okay, as some of you may have already noticed from my latest blog post and certain status updates, I'm planning to commercially release Dryantia on July 1st. The one thing that the guide doesn't cover in much detail is how to make your EULA. That would be pretty helpful, as I want to have some sort of legalese so people can't just say: "But you never said we couldn't copy it 200 times for our friends!" kind of thing. At the same time, I don't want to come off as a jerk with the whole "you don't own this game, you own a license" because that's just a trend software in general has been taking for the past few years and it personally annoys me. I don't like to do unto others what I wouldn't like having them do to me, so...

Thanks in advance! :)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think they are all pretty similar. If you grab and install a few games by commercial developers, take a look at what they put in theirs.

Winterfate

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the super quick reply Shaz!

Do you mind if I PM you to ask some more questions? :)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could, but you could also just start a new thread in here with your questions - others may be interested to know the same thing, and there are a few others apart from myself who could also answer you based on experience :)

Winterfate

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, thank you Shaz, I'll be writing up the thread within a few minutes. Thanks again! :)

EDIT: And done! Thread is up in this subforum. :)

amaranth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Everyone, I've updated the guide with many changes. I've removed Plimus because they've implemented a $75 monthly fee for most game developers. The guide now shows you how to work with BMT Micro, a much nicer/less complicated order processor. The installer has also changed from Astrum Install Wizard to CreateInstall, a very nice free installer that works with all languages. 

@Winterfate, I've added a sample EULA to the guide.

(I haven't had time to proofread the guide carefully so If you see grammar mistakes, please PM me.) 

Chrome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I like this thank you, but if you put your game up on your website how are people going to even know your game exist? Is there some kind of tutorial on putting your games up on Big Fish Games or Steam, etc? I feel like no one will buy my game because no one knows about it, even it it turns out to be the best game in the world. 

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Chrome, there are a number of smaller indie portals that will accept your game without you having to jump through all the BFG/Steam hoops. I've only heard of one RM game making Steam, so I certainly wouldn't be targetting them until I've gone to many others. Check the other pinned threads for more information.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Submit it to all gaming portals (they always have a contact link), send it for review.

Solo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, so going by this guide, you'll be selling your game (through an order processor like BMT Micro) on your OWN site as well as any portals that accept your submissions? Is that right? And I get hosting your game on a site like Mediafire rather than your personal/business website, but what's this about hosting your game on your order processor? I feel like that wasn't fully explained; are there any advantages or disadvantages to this?

Also, the DRM/demo thing confuses me a little. I get the product activation key with the DRM-wrapped EXE, but how is a separate demo going to protect your game...? Would it be possible (or advisable) to just sell the game as-is, without having a demo or using a DRM program?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some order processors will let you upload your game to their site. BMT Micro does this - you load your game to their site when you set up the 'sell' page, so when a customer buys the game and the payment goes through, they can send them a download link and their activation code straight away.

You would use an order processor for selling on your own site, and for affiliating your game on other sites (like Amaranth and Aldorlea and other 'smaller' portals). When you go to places like Big Fish Games and Steam, you will not use your own order processor or your own installer or DRM - they will do all of that using their own software and systems.

A separate demo is only if you don't want to use DRM. Separate demo means anyone can download the demo (which is actually a different version of the game that only has content up to a certain point). When they pay, they will get a link to the full version of the game. The downside is that it only takes one person to pay for the whole game, and then they can share it to their heart's content, and nobody who gets it will need to look for a crack, and you can't track how many people have it.

By "selling the game as is, without having a demo or DRM program" you mean just provide the whole program as a download when they've paid? You'd get fewer sales because a lot of people won't buy a game unless they can play a demo/trial first, and again, once they do, since you have no DRM, they can easily share it around and nobody who gets it needs to worry about registering it or getting a cracked version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

And (un)surprisingly, I already started developing a old project as MZ code right off from the bat. Waiting the launch anxiously...
Is there a single word I can use instead Magic Defense", but has the same meaning?
does anyone know where I could theoretically post a game i made full of copyrighted content so that I can get feedback on it

edit: not looking to make any money or anything. just want criticism
Yay! It's raining! ^.^
I decided to take part in the One Map Game Challenge. :LZSexcite:
Finished the map itself, just need to finish the actual game lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhateverImDrunk