Dickjutsu

Producer for Nic3Ntertainment
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So...anyone know how to make that be the default location to download to?  No matter what I've tried it still makes C:/Program Files (x86)/Game.

I've tried making a custom path for the installation C:/Company/Game.  I'm not familiar enough with CreateInstall (first time using it) to know what I can alter without screwing everything up (about 2 out of every 3 attempts winds up with my changing something that makes the game not install and run properly).

And as I said, the Uninstall doesn't work no matter where I put it. >_>

amerk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Newer computers now come with Program Files and Program Files (x86); these are not the same thing. A lot of the commercial games I buy install to Program Files (x86) by default, unless I (the customer) change this. Never had any problems with this.

I also backup all my files (including the ones in the x86 folder) in case something goes wrong.

I don't know if there is a way to change the default path to something other than x86, though. That may be something each user has to do themselves once they download the product.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's a twofold problem. It's not so much where the game is installed, but where your save files go. It's when the game is trying to save, and the player isn't an administrator, that the problems happen. So either don't install the game into a Windows folder, or don't allow the game to put its save files in the game's folder. I wrote a script (and there are probably a couple of others out there) that let you put SAVE FILES in My Documents. Take a look for that, then see if it solves your problems while still installing the game into C:\Program Files*

amerk

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes, that would make sense now, since I usually play on computers I have Admin rights to.

Dickjutsu

Producer for Nic3Ntertainment
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well I am the Administrator on this PC, but Windows 7 is silly and makes me manually okay any administrator changes.

But nonetheless, yes, Shaz's script worked, once I found it.  Now I can save and load!

The uninstall still doesn't work, though.  I thought it might be for the same reason, it's in the x86 Program Files, so it won't let the uninstall get rid of the files without confirming I am the Administrator and it just doesn't ask.  But I installed everything to My Documents and it still won't work.

The important thing is that we got the Save/Load to work, but getting the Uninstall to work, too, would probably be a good idea.  Or a diabolical marketing scheme to leave it not working. B)

Edit: Or maybe it does work, I dunno.  I just did the whole thing on the wife's laptop and everything worked fine...even uninstall.

Last edited by a moderator:

byrdbones

Ren
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This has been a great help, thanks!

Ultimacj

Cookie Knight
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Englist
Primarily Uses
N/A
This is a guide created by Amanda Fitch (Amaranth Games) a few years ago, after being approached by a number of RPG Maker users asking for advice on selling their games. It walks you through all the steps you need to take to get your game ready for commercial distribution.

It's a little out of date, but I think it's still very valuable for those working on their first game.

How to Sell Your Game - Boot Camp

Note: Plimus has made a number of changes to their agreement since this document was written. I suggest you check out BMT Micro before you sign up with Plimus - I believe they are more "small-developer" friendly.

One step that's not mentioned here is that you should compress your game via RM, then open the compressed file and extract it to a new location. THESE files are the ones you import into your installer, not the original ones in your RM project.
This Guide is outdated, it does not work with the current version (6.3.1) of EasyCreateInstall.  I've finally got it to work with my project but I had to make changes reagarding to adding a shortcut.

I've followed the guide to a T several times and the same results were happening.  The game successfully installs but however, the short cut scripts do not work.  By looking at the screenshots, it's clear that WindowsXP was used at the time, vs 7 and 8 and the guide doesn't indicate what version the guide is worked under, here are the changes I had to do to get this to work.  I hope this helps others!

For some reason even if you remove it, installer program adds an additional directory (whatever you named it originally) and adds an uninstall feature then adds your base directory where the game files are at. 

Example:

If you made C:\Game\Name of RPG Maker Game Here\(even if you tell it Game.exe exists -which it should-), for the INSTALL PATH the following is created when you install the game:

C:\Game\Name of RPG Maker Game Here\<Uninstaller Information>\RPG Maker Game Here\<Game.Exe and base files are found here>

My knowledge of the program is limited but I followed the guide as I said to a T and would not work, Windows would inquire where is Game.Exe.

Here's what I had to do fix this work around.

Under "Shortcuts

• " Have your DESKTOP and PROGRAM GROUP as is like the Guide says, however, you'll need to make  CUSTOM PATH for "Path" and CUSTOM PATH for "Working Directory".  Then however you have your game setup (mine is C:\Game\Name of Game\Name of Game\Game.exe), compile the installer then test it.  The shortcuts for both DESKTOP and PROGRAM GROUP should work.  This was the only way I could get this to work on my end (if anyone has extra knowledge of this program feel free to correct me etc as I'd like to know why I could not get the short cut to work let alone why the program adds a duplicate of "Name of RPG Maker Game Here" when it's never indicated in the first place).  When you make this edit, the short cut will have the same path as it should with the duplicated directory.  Typically I'm not sure why EasyCreate adds an directory within a directory normally an uninstaller is in the base folder of a program along with it's launch exe file

The other problem I ran into was adding run the game after installation check boxes.  Again, I've followed the guide to a T several times but anytime I tried to create the build I would get a script error, so I just removed it completely since I do not know much of the scripts of this program (let alone a scripter).

Again this for version 6.3.1.  It's a very good guide overall, but unless I have a botched program version the instructions vs working with the program aren't 100% compilable.

I hope this helps and let me know if I did something wrong because I sure heck can't figure out how to get it to work on the guide alone other than this work around.

Edit:  I forgot to add no additional steps are needed as far as terms as saving your game, I tested my program with the save feature exited the game and relaunched and restored my saved game file successfully.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd sell a 20-30 hour game for $10-$15. Personally, I'd be happy paying $10 for something that takes me 5-10 hours to complete.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
For 20-30h of a quality game, $20 is fine IMO.

Do they take the length of games into consideration? 
Yes it should be a pricing factor because otherwise it's very easy for a dev to break their effort down in smaller games. So a longer game is worth more.

naruzeldamaster

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, I'm nearly done with my demo (About 20 hours of work left! :D )so I'm looking into this CreateInstallFree program.

Can anyone tell me the benefits of pro version (the $119 one) and the Lite version ($49 one) ? 

Also just to clarify what I need to know.

Step 1: Compress Game, check include RTP Data.

Step 2: Extract the contents of the created archive to a new folder.

Step 3: Use those files in the installer.

Step 4: Get a business license

Step 5: Get a website put together (Considering squarespace, it's $8 a month for one product and you have full control over webpage look without needing to create the entire thing(the webpage itself) from scratch)

Step 6: Finish Game

Step 7: Repeat steps 2 and 3 for completed game.

Step 8: Profit?

Sarlecc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm having some problems understanding some of the how to sell you game PDF.  At the end of page 7 it states that before you create your install file make a shortcut to your game on Plimus or BMT micro. However at the time that you do this you don't even have your account setup for that (based on the order that the PDF is setup). So would the correct order be setup your Plimus or BMT micro information first then do the shortcut for your game?

My computer was sleeping with the mouse pointer right over a like button :p

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can create your Plimus/BMT Micro account at ANY time. You don't even need to have a game.

I would recommend you set up your account sooner rather than later - BMT Micro (which is my preference - Plimus has not been very nice to indie developers for some time) had a 30-day wait period before new accounts could affiliate their games.

Sarlecc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay thanks for clarifying Shaz. :)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Someone PM'd me to say the link in the first post no longer works. I checked with Amanda, and she has removed the guide as it's so out of date now. It won't be reposted. There are a number of people here who have experience releasing games commercially, so if you have questions, just ask, and I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[mod]Closed at the request of the OP, as no longer relevant[/mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just imagine, MZ got released while still on summer sale and they decided to discount their game. lol.
Now that I found an accessible composing software, all the melodies that only lived inside my head so far can come to life. I LOVE this.
Akemi14 wrote on Archeia's profile.
I'm sorry about my mistake of not messaging you about posting in Games in Development Rules and Guidelines. I'm still new on this forum but using RPG Maker for 3 years. Well it is in English language. Well, I just want to explained about the game and show them the demo. I promised, there is no inappropriate contain because I don't like that. What should I do?
Magic numbers are the devil.
So I was explaining to someone today that Magic (the Gathering) has advertised itself as a Trading Card Game (TCG) and a Collectable Card Game (CCG), but never a playing card game. Playing cards are what they use for stuff like Poker or Black Jack. So by playing Magic with the cards, they were in fact doing it wrong, and me trading the cards is a correct usage. :popcorn:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uoxaufwu