How to set Event image + icon image at the same time? (MV)

TheGameAfter

I'm here to help and to learn!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I need help with an event the will let the player 'dig a hole' and get an item he can pick up after, I already have the event (shown below) work except one problem:

Normally event only gives you the option to change the 'image' par it once per page, I want to change the event but on the same page use script or another method to show an icon image on the same spot (or next to where) the event on.

I tried to use 'pictures' but they either show up and disappear immediately, or they stay on the screen forever. I'm still trying to play with this.

So I assume is something to do with 'show picture' commend or maybe a script the will call 'icon' to show up on the map.

Also, I'm spawning it (in a big area), so a simple transparent event would not work in this case.

Any idea how to achieve that?

Edit: Some pictures to understand what I'm looking for (work but can't have an item and 'ground' image at the same time):

EventPage01-3.JPG
EventPage01-4.JPG

Last edited:

GE_Peter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure I understand completely what you want. You mean this, right?

1) There is the normal ground where you see nothing special
2) You dig a hole. Now you see the ground with a hole in it, and the item sitting in the hole
3) You pick up the item. Now you see the ground with an empty hole in it.

An easy way to show this is with two different images. At 2), change the event to one image of the item sitting in a hole. At 3), change the event to an image of the empty hole.

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm not sure I understand completely what you want. You mean this, right?

1) There is the normal ground where you see nothing special
2) You dig a hole. Now you see the ground with a hole in it, and the item sitting in the hole
3) You pick up the item. Now you see the ground with an empty hole in it.

An easy way to show this is with two different images. At 2), change the event to one image of the item sitting in a hole. At 3), change the event to an image of the empty hole.
Thank you GE_Peter for the response, I added some pictures and the post to make it more clear, I'm aware of this option and already got this one to work as shown below (added images). My problem is, I need a way to change the event image but still have an item/icon on the map at the same time, icon the player will be able to pick up.
So basically have the item image from page 03 show up at the same time when page 04 active (that change the ground look). I may end up having to show the 'hole' only after the player picks up the item, but I'm looking for a way to show it at the same time.

Last edited:

GE_Peter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi again,

I'm aware of this option and already got this one to work as shown below
Your posted images show something different to my suggestion. Did you understand what I meant? That is, use GIMP or something to make two images. One with the empty hole, and one with the item sitting in the empty hole, then switch between them in the event.

If you did understand, I apologise for repeating myself. If you want another way to solve your problem, overlaying an extra sprite is difficult using the standard MV engine tools. There is the ballon icon, but it doesn't stay.

However, using 'change tileset' in the third tab of the event command would also work for your hole:

Make another tileset with one tile changed. That is, with a hole drawn on the ground tile you want.

Make an event with a blank image over the normal ground.
When this event is triggered, change the tileset to your edited one. Now there's a hole!
Change the event image to the item you want. (using new event tabs or 'set movement route')
Pick up the item and change the event image back to nothing.

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi again,

Your posted images show something different to my suggestion. Did you understand what I meant? That is, use GIMP or something to make two images. One with the empty hole, and one with the item sitting in the empty hole, then switch between them in the event.

If you did understand, I apologise for repeating myself. If you want another way to solve your problem, overlaying an extra sprite is difficult using the standard MV engine tools. There is the ballon icon, but it doesn't stay.

However, using 'change tileset' in the third tab of the event command would also work for your hole:

Make another tileset with one tile changed. That is, with a hole drawn on the ground tile you want.

Make an event with a blank image over the normal ground.
When this event is triggered, change the tileset to your edited one. Now there's a hole!
Change the event image to the item you want. (using new event tabs or 'set movement route')
Pick up the item and change the event image back to nothing.
I see now what you meant, it's definitely better then what I have, still, with this solution, I forgot to emanation but I want the 'item' to move either in place or even add a 'movement' to it, and it will not be possible if using that method, since it will show the ground under it (in the image). It's a big help to get the main idea to work so that a big help, thank you :)

However using the second method it should be possible, I need to check if is work without changing other event tiles, if that works it should give me the freedom to add a 'movement' too, I will test it later and edit this post with the results, thank again.

Last edited:

GE_Peter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The big limitation is you can't have two events in the same place. If I don't have to show too many different situations, I always edit a .png file in the 'characters' folder and use 'set movement route' to up, down, left or right to change the image.

This means more work in GIMP or Photoshop, but less work with scripts or writing extra JavaScript plugins.

Good luck with the change tileset method!

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In the end, using 'change tile' seems to work better in my case, still using the idea of changing the position of the item to get a movement in place, thank you for the help and tips.

Triangle45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why don you just place your item next to the undigged hole as transparent and untouchable (parallel, above player) then after you dig, change your image to "digged hole" and then move the invisible item on top of the digged hole and make it visible and touchable?

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why don you just place your item next to the undigged hole as transparent and untouchable (parallel, above player) then after you dig, change your image to "digged hole" and then move the invisible item on top of the digged hole and make it visible and touchable?
Cool idea, however in my case I'm spawning it (in a big area), so I can't know beforehand the 'x' and 'y' conditioner where the event will be on.

Triangle45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Cool idea, however in my case I'm spawning it (in a big area), so I can't know beforehand the 'x' and 'y' conditioner where the event will be on.
So you are making the diggable spot random?
Then it doesn't matter if you know the x, or y coordinates, let the system get it for you.
Again, make your item invisible in the top corner of your map, then after the player digs the event tile, use the "Set Event Location" command from the Movement tab and check the "Exchange with another event" option. No matter where that digged tile is, the item will swap places with the digged tile. Just make sure you make the digged tile invisible after that activation otherwise youll have a floating digged hole in the top corner of your map

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TheGameAfter
The problem you're running into is that one event can only have one image at any time - and nothing can change that. You can either use an image program to combine two pictures into one image before using it, using a tile and a single event image or using two events.
In the last case you need to move or copy an event with the icon over the event with the hole image, they can't be on the same event.

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So you are making the diggable spot random?
Then it doesn't matter if you know the x, or y coordinates, let the system get it for you.
Again, make your item invisible in the top corner of your map, then after the player digs the event tile, use the "Set Event Location" command from the Movement tab and check the "Exchange with another event" option. No matter where that digged tile is, the item will swap places with the digged tile. Just make sure you make the digged tile invisible after that activation otherwise youll have a floating digged hole in the top corner of your map
@TheGameAfter
In the last case you need to move or copy an event with the icon over the event with the hole image, they can't be on the same event.
I see, but my spawn include 100+ events to be placed on that area, and the player can dig them all, so using the above method means I will need the same amount of event on the side to call for each of them unless the 'one event' (with the item) on the side can be called by all the 100+ events? what seems un-likely. Even if I set up along 'if' conditioner, at the moment the event been called once, it can't be used for another event without removing it from the current location. Fixed me If I'm wrong.
@TheGameAfter
You can either use an image program to combine two pictures into one image before using it, using a tile and a single event image or using two events.
Yep, at the moment it seems like there two options the will work on big amount of events: Changing the graphic depending on the event page or using 'change tile' commend.
Unless there is a way to call one event (with the item image) to any amount of events?

(Thought your ideas with the 'move event location will help me with a special door event I was struggling with, so thank you :))

Last edited:

GE_Peter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't tried or tested this myself yet, but I was just reading through the RMMV script calls and saw this:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Change Tileset Z Value[/TD]
[TD]$dataMap.data[(Z * $dataMap.height + Y) * $dataMap.width + X] = TILEID; [/TD]
[TD]Used to change a tile in coordonate X,Y with (TILEID) on the layer Z![/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Might be of use to you...

*edit* sorry about the HTML, it didn't look like that when I pasted it in!

DadGuyDrawing

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry if this is posted too late, but if you want the "icon" to move you could just use a sprite image of the item and set it to stepping.

Regarding using the same sprite over and over, I believe Yanfly has an event copier that would do the trick: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Event_Copier_(YEP)

TheGameAfter

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hebrew
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry if this is posted too late, but if you want the "icon" to move you could just use a sprite image of the item and set it to stepping.
I appreciate the answer, I keep it open for more ideas.

About the use of 'stepping', true can be use for the move image part, is still going to need slide change in the position in the sheet to see a nice/big move up and down. Good idea.

Regarding using the same sprite over and over, I believe Yanfly has an event copier that would do the trick: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Event_Copier_(YEP)
I already using this plugin, I tried that, is works great until I get to 300 events, that why I'm using 'galv_spwan' instead, seem like he can handle 700 events without any slow down. But cool idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.
Sand is basically small rocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parzival