How to set specific resolutions for window size?

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by jjbones123, Oct 22, 2016.

1. jjbones123

jjbones123 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Okay so, i'm not entirely sure how to word this, but i'm try:

I'm using the Fullscreen++ script. It allows you to fullscreen games made in RPG Maker by pressing F5 and you're able to choose from 3 different resolutions using F6. For the game I am currently making, I have a very specific request for the script and because I know next to nothing about writing scripts in RPG maker, I don't know what to do and was wondering if anyone could please help me?

How do I describe it...I want the middle resolution (the second of the 3 resolutions you can choose from when you press F6) to be the default size for when the game is playing in windowed mode. The smallest is similar to the default size of a windowed RPG maker game and it too small to see any details. The largest setting is too big and barely fits on my monitor. I also want to keep it locked at the middle resolution, meaning the resolution can no longer be changed by pressing F6.

TLDR: I want to make the window the game plays in bigger using the Fullscreen++ Script.

I know how to disable the F6 command; just need to type a #before the line of script. (i've already done it for the F5 command since alt+Enter allows fullscreen just fine) but how do I change the resolution/size of the windowed mode to the size I want? To further help convey what I mean, here is a picture diagram of the 3 resolutions and I point out the size window I want below: 

Windowed size.png

2. Sekunri

Sekunri Creator of Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oops you're using VX ACE sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2016
    jjbones123 likes this.
  3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please add a link to the script so nobody has to go looking for it.

4. jjbones123

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Shaz Okay, I didn't think it was necessary to link because of how popular the script it, but I found it here:

5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've moved this thread to RGSSx Script Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

jjbones123 likes this.
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

This won't do it for you?  According to his comments, if you set up the Game.ini file properly, you can tell it what mode to use by default.

You could also try changing this line

Code:
        @windowed_ratio   = get_option.call('WindowedRatio'  , '1').to_i
    to this:

Code:
        @windowed_ratio   = get_option.call('WindowedRatio'  , '2').to_i
    which sets the ratio to 2 instead of 1 if it's not found in the ini file.

I haven't tested this - I'm just guessing, after a quick look through the script.

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @jjbones123 It doesn't matter how popular a script is - you're asking people to help you in their free time for free (no one gets paid for forum work here), and it is considered a common curtesy to make sure that they have everything ready to help you and don't need to search the internet before they can advice you.

and you'll probably be surprised how many different zoom or sizing  scripts are out there in different versions...

jjbones123 likes this.
  8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I like helping people, but I don't use ANYone else's scripts.  So if someone wants help with a script, I ALWAYS need a way to look it up.  And I won't spend the time searching for it, as there are many different scripts, posted in many locations, and they're not all the same version, and there's no guarantee I'd find the same version you're using.

Plus, my time is valuable to me, and I'd rather not spend it searching for something when you already know where it is.

Anyway - I gave you a potential solution.  Give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

jjbones123 likes this.
  9. Sixth

Sixth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Hungarian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The thing you actually change by pressing F6 in that script is the window's scale ratio and NOT it's resolution. 2 entirely different things.

The 3 types are:

1. Default - no scaling at all.

2. Full-screen (with window borders).

3. Full-screen (borderless).

The thing you wrote for the 3rd image (biggest one) is kinda funny, because the whole point of the scale ratios is that they set their rate according to the monitor, it can NOT be bigger than your monitor, unless you changed something in the script. And that is why the script itself allows for scale ratio toggling. Your monitor may be big, but that doesn't mean that everyone will have the same sized monitor. What you see as "way too big" can be a "not so big" ratio for other monitors.

Another thing to note with your edit (disabling the F5 toggle) is that ALT+ENTER full-screen mode (the default one) breaks the display of the game for some monitors/GPU.

The game will flicker so much, that watching for only a few seconds will trigger a head-ache for most people. I know, I got this issue with the default full-screen mode too.

I suggest you put that feature back, and instead disable the default full-screen toggle mode (there are scripts out there for that), unless you want complaints in the future about flicker-fest full-screen mode.

As for the question you asked, Zeus already wrote where to edit the config file. The settings you want to change are:

Code:
    FullscreenRatio=0
    WindowedRatio=1
    The first one is the scale ratio in full-screen mode, the second one is for the windowed mode.

0 means no scaling (default).

1 means full-screen (with borders).

2 means full-screen (borderless).

Set them to the ones you want.

jjbones123 likes this.
  10. jjbones123

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @bgillisp Thank you and sorry that's it's in the wrong category.

@Andar and @Shaz you're both right and I apologize. I hadn't thought of it that way when I initially asked the question and not only would it make it easier for people on the forum to see what script i'm using, but it also gives the impression that i'm not crediting the script maker. Just to clarify; I have and always will credit the people who make the scripts I use. I usually don't use other peoples scripts because it doesn't feel like it's "my game" if I do you know? The reason i'm using Fullscreen++ is as a last resort as I couldn't find another way to alter the size of the window. And thank you Shaz, you're solution did work.  

@SixthReally? Huh, that is weird that I haven't noticed that, I must be overthinking it. But it's weird because you can see in the 3 screenshots I posted that the option I said was too large is still slightly bigger than the other two. I haven't had any problems with flickering personally when using alt + Enter to make the game full screen, but it does start to look somewhat blurry when I play in full screen, and given that other people have suggested scripts that are specifically related to this problem, perhaps I need to try another script or method for setting the resolution.

11. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow - I didn't think it would work at all, after Sixth's explanation of what the values mean!

Glad you got it sorted :)

jjbones123 likes this.
  12. jjbones123

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yeah, I mean it does open at the specified resolution now, but I dunno if i'll keep it, think I might look for another script or means of doing it.

I appreciate the help though. :)