How to set up a shell game

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV School' started by Candacis, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Lesson description: As the title says, this teaches how to set up a shell game. This is a mini game where the player has to find a ball under moving cups again.

Additional switches: Switch 25 = CandacisLecture1Done, Switch 26 = CandacisLecture1On

Additional other things: Tileset 007 = Janitors
    I added some new tile edits, namely a E, A2 and A4 tile (with janitors in the name). Others can also use those tilesets, if they want to. And I added some other stuff like lights, characters, faces, pictures etc. But nothing that would effect the database.

I also used, @Rhino really handy pointer picture. I hope, that's okay. I really liked the idea.

To edit: Currently the starting room doesn't have any connection to the rest of the school. I imagine, it would be in the basement. So, maybe a basement floor that leads to the janitor room as well as the green computer room from the very first lesson.
    Probalby need to adjust those 25 and 26 switch, too.

I had a hard time, making sure that the lesson would close properly and doesn't interfere with other lessons. I'm not sure, I got it right. I think, for future lectures, a more in-depth set up guide would make it easier, to make sure, that no lessons overlap.
    I set it up so, that you loose all progress, if you leave the room, but I didn't acount for players walking in, that are still on another lesson. So, this is something, that probably warrants a second look.

I also struggled with making the lecture enjoyable. It is a lot of info dump, but I didn't know how else to do it. I'm thankful for every advice. Let me know, if you discover any mistakes.

2. Rhino

Rhino ~Inactive~ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    !!!! I didn't know this was ready! I'm so sorry it took me so long to realise :kaoeh:

It does need to be set up so that the player can't join your lesson if they're on someone else's (switch #22) else you'll end up messing up the current lessons progress, but that's something that could just be added to the transfer into the Janitor's room when it's integrated into the main project. (It should be coming in the new year!)

Ah! It's something that wasn't mentioned on the main post;
    So I don't know if that'll need editing.

I love the maps. I could see myself hiding out there too :guffaw: The minigame looks so impressive! It is a complex event but I think you did a good job explaining it. The question is a nice touch to make sure the player is actually following along.

I wonder what the player can buy with all their gambling money~ I would love to try bribing some of the teachers :LZSevil:

I think you did use more commas than necessary so some things can read a bit strangely but it's not a huge issue. Mini games seem to always be asked about so I think it'll be great to have this working demo with all of your extra comments in the event pages too!

Candacis likes this.
  3. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

Thanks for doing this, @Candacis !

Fun dialog in the basement =] you smarty girl.
    Good eventing of a tricky and fun game. It is true that one minute of fun takes tons of event lines =]

Great addition.

A few minor things:
    You have some passibility issues I think : I can walk through the tire - lower right hand corner, and I think I am walking on a counter, left hand side upper section.
    It might be more clear to say that the image of the ball is hidden in the cup, so the player does not need to see it move. When you said the ball didn't move, it threw me.
    When you walk up to someone seated on the couch you about sit on their lap, graphically. Just saying. Maybe a coffee table with counter effect?

Candacis likes this.
  4. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Thanks so much for playtesting!
    I uploaded a new version where I tried to get those passability issues fixed and where I added a sentence about the ball movement.

I have some ideas for more minigames, but now I'm waiting to see how this Janitor room can be integrated into the rest of the school.

Rhino and GrandmaDeb like this.
  5. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

I am eleven deep in a conditional branch that will end up being fifteen deep when it is done... what you said about a lot of eventing for a little fun keeps ringing in my ears!!!! Thanks for doing this for people. It is what makes this community and the internet in general great.

Candacis likes this.
  6. SuperMasterSword

SuperMasterSword That Guy You Dont Know Veteran

First Language:
    Javascript
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just wanted to let you know you get stuck if you were standing above Candacis when she tries to take you to the minigame room. Other than that, solid lesson! Very entertaining and educational at the same time, which I believe is the precise balance they were looking for!

Candacis likes this.