redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wanted to sort the spells in my game somehow because there are 8 magic types, but since some are just really long, they all need to be standardized.

So I decided to shorten them to 3 letters, but are there any rules for shortening words to 3 letters? I have no idea.

Here's list of types:
1634914069223.png

But I just don't know. If I shorten by the first 3 letters, the earth would be EAR. Would you shorten the word this way? Or water, it's even better, WAT.
So it seems that it is better to shorten it by odd letters, for example, water could be WTR and it sounds better, but then how to shorten fire? Is it FRE or FIE? Along with ERH, WID, LGT, EETO and DAK.

This is a very important and serious topic, help...

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Will these abbreviations be seen by the player? If so then I wouldn't shorten them so tightly, it makes them less immediate (especially for players who don't have English as a first language). Since "Electro" is the only really long one, you could replace it with "Spark" and then everything is 5 letters or less.

redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will these abbreviations be seen by the player? If so then I wouldn't shorten them so tightly, it makes them less immediate (especially for players who don't have English as a first language). Since "Electro" is the only really long one, you could replace it with "Spark" and then everything is 5 letters or less.
Indeed, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I can actually do it that way, thanks for the idea.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There isn't a standard, as such, but the most common practice is to eliminate vowels first, as KenKrath demonstrated.

That being said, I agree with Aoi - you often saw things like this in older games because of system limitations (what could be stored in a given type of variable, available syste memory, or how much space you had in the UI).

Without those limitations, I don't think emulating that kind of game is a good reason to do something not-player-friendly (it's kind of absurd when I'm playing Phantasy Star and I need to look up an FAQ to see what the spells do).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Happy Saint Nicholas Day! May there nice stuff in your shoes when you wake up!
Choosing Beggars are the best source of entertainment.
DavidUchina wrote on caethyril's profile.
You chad, thanks a lot for your plugins. You helped me costumize the buttons in my game.
I created the first teaser for my game! I decided to make an animation of Cabaret Helen advertising the Pizza Time Theater, set to an actual radio commercial. But this is no ordinary advertisement...
"Somber melody and stunning visuals takes one through the bittersweet tale of False Rebirth" ~ Marmalade
https://rpgmaker.net/games/12069/reviews/7576/

Got a first review on my game, on RPG Maker dot net. :kaothx:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zombiedans