redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wanted to sort the spells in my game somehow because there are 8 magic types, but since some are just really long, they all need to be standardized.

So I decided to shorten them to 3 letters, but are there any rules for shortening words to 3 letters? I have no idea.

Here's list of types:
1634914069223.png

But I just don't know. If I shorten by the first 3 letters, the earth would be EAR. Would you shorten the word this way? Or water, it's even better, WAT.
So it seems that it is better to shorten it by odd letters, for example, water could be WTR and it sounds better, but then how to shorten fire? Is it FRE or FIE? Along with ERH, WID, LGT, EETO and DAK.

This is a very important and serious topic, help...

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Will these abbreviations be seen by the player? If so then I wouldn't shorten them so tightly, it makes them less immediate (especially for players who don't have English as a first language). Since "Electro" is the only really long one, you could replace it with "Spark" and then everything is 5 letters or less.

redmedved2

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Belarusian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will these abbreviations be seen by the player? If so then I wouldn't shorten them so tightly, it makes them less immediate (especially for players who don't have English as a first language). Since "Electro" is the only really long one, you could replace it with "Spark" and then everything is 5 letters or less.
Indeed, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I can actually do it that way, thanks for the idea.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There isn't a standard, as such, but the most common practice is to eliminate vowels first, as KenKrath demonstrated.

That being said, I agree with Aoi - you often saw things like this in older games because of system limitations (what could be stored in a given type of variable, available syste memory, or how much space you had in the UI).

Without those limitations, I don't think emulating that kind of game is a good reason to do something not-player-friendly (it's kind of absurd when I'm playing Phantasy Star and I need to look up an FAQ to see what the spells do).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"Yeah. It's been a rough road lately. But that's the thing about the Rangers. It doesn't matter how hard it gets, or how many of them fall. They never stop fighting. The Rangers NEVER stop fighting".

Angela Deth, you are a hero of mine. Sorry for my first run of Wasteland 3.
We must press on. For all those we couldn't save. For all those we might yet save.
FirestormNeos wrote on DarkPlasmaBall's profile.
asking this here instead of the thread in question to avoid derailing it, but I'm curious; is there a particular reason you'd include a "Terms of Use" for an RPG Maker game? Like, are there multiplayer features for the game you're working on?
The holidays are upon us! Everyone search for safety from the grocery store music!
I don't understand people sometime. Walking to work today came across someone walking the opposite way in a nice suit, I politely move to the side into the shrubbery so he doesn't have to get his suit dirty and say "good morning" as he passes me, he turns around glaring daggers and asks "why are you talking to me?" like he's bloody offended by me wishing him a good morning or something. Just, why?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnderMon