Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I know there's a trick to this, but I just can't remember, and too many of my search terms are just 3 letters to come up with a solution.

I have a number of blank events that I use to show character sprites during cutscenes. When I use a move route to change the event's sprite, it's often on the '0' pattern, with one foot forward. I know people have posted solutions to this but I never paid enough attention as I wasn't having the problem at the time.

Poryg

Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd solve it by manually changing the property responsible for it via script call. I think it's called _moveIndex. 0 is left leg, 2 is right leg.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you searching the command to choose 1 of the 3 Patterns of each Actor Sprite direction?
InVX-Ace i saw the command, in mv i dont know.
But i have the feeling you are looking for something else?
0 Pattern, is that the Graphic Sprite in the middle of a direction?
Do i get you correct, you change the Graphic while the Event is moving and than it somehow glitches and now the animation doesnt run in correct order for a moment?

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
CMIIW, set move route event direction would reset their pattern to the middle one...

Actually I want to know too, about how to pick the exact pattern of an event character.
upload_2019-2-10_17-40-7.png

For one, how to show EXACTLY the right direction of pattern 2 of the character sprite (which I circled) from a blank event without relying with the event page?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you change the Graphic while the Event is moving
No, the event is not moving. It's just a one page event, no sprite, no commands. In another event, I use Set Move Route on the "blank" event to give it a sprite. The sprite is usually the one in the first column, not the one in the middle column. When an event is not moving, it is supposed to be the "resting/standing" sprite - the one in the middle column.

I'd solve it by manually changing the property responsible for it via script call.
I'm sure there is a non-script way to do it.

I think @Andar has provided instructions once or twice in the past.

Actually I want to know too, about how to pick the exact pattern of an event character.
That is not what I'm asking. You're better off asking your question in a different thread, as it's not the same as mine. Or search, because I know others have asked it as well and have been given a couple of different solutions.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you tell us how exactly to reproduce the Error, best would be a Picture of your involved Eventpage.
and
How about putting a Movecommand "Turn Down or Left...", before changing the Graphic. Just a blind Guess.

Kuro DCupu

Trust me, I'm a veteran RMer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
... No, I'm not asking any question. I only wonder.
I was just be like "Hey, this person's question is interesting. Actually I want to know it too!" and trying to put a light to your question because it sounds pretty unclear.

It's just a one page event, no sprite, no commands. In another event, I use Set Move Route on the "blank" event to give it a sprite. The sprite is usually the one in the first column, not the one in the middle column. When an event is not moving, it is supposed to be the "resting/standing" sprite - the one in the middle column.
If that's the question... I tried to change the graphic of a blank event from another event via "Set Move Route : Change Image"...
No, it pick the one in middle column perfectly.
upload_2019-2-10_18-52-42.png

Last edited:

caethyril

^_^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If I've understood correctly...I'd suggest assigning the event a blank character spritesheet rather than a tile or (None). Should retain the frame when the image is changed. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sure there is a non-script way to do it.

I think @Andar has provided instructions once or twice in the past.
You're misremembering
I never provided a solution for that, and the only times I've seen a solution in the past it was always a script command inside a set move route command to set the pattern to a specific index.

I don't remember that at the moment myself, but it usually came up with cases where people used set move routes to switch to a different event graphic and then had the problem that the new graphic was on the wrong index and they couldn't set the index right without a script command.

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah. In older rpg makers you could choose the animation frame as well as event graphics if you changed the graphics via the move route command. In mv it's no longer possible.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As far as i know, VX-Ace and RMMV work the same in this case. Or could you show a Picture of what exactly you mean?

Caethyrils Solution is good and i better keep it in mind in case i run into this myself.

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wasn't sure about VXAce, since I don't use it. But thanks for clarification.

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Does using the following in a script call within the movement route work for what you're trying to accomplish?
this._originalPattern = 1;
When I've changed a blank event to one with a sprite, this "defaults" the sprite to be in the middle "standing/resting" column, rather than in their stepping one, like you described.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd suggest assigning the event a blank character spritesheet rather than a tile or (None).
Thanks for the idea - I'll give that a go.

I was sure I'd seen people post non-scripting solutions to this.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Maybe try making it face the direction again (might need to face somewhere else first though) and see if it resets the sprite to the middle column?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I was thinking I might try to just change its direction before changing the sprite. I tried to change direction after setting the sprite, and it made no difference.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did Caethyrils solution work for you?

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've got to find the right spot where it happened. I'll come back with an answer once I've found it :)

Poryg

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This script command (as script event command) should work:
Code:
$gameMap.event(this.eventId())._originalPattern = 0; //where this is the event's interpreter

Reactions: Bex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

YES! officially released my games soundtrack on Itunes, Spotify, and Amazon..... kinda cool!

Another old age version of Reid. Trying out different style.
Hey everyone! Not sure how many people know about Cafofo Music on Itch.io, but I highly recommend their Sound Effects! It is amazing quality AND quantity and best of all, they are having a 50% sale! I can't express how much I love sales.
Wow.... My last map GIF got 47 likes, 16 retweet and 2,105 views on Twitter in 24 hours. My game thread here's only got 3k views in 6-7 months. I guess building my Twitter was insanely worth it. :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZeoValinferno