Matzexxxxx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Hello there guys,

i was wondering how i can speed up the game in game maker, because i am going to start a pokemon map and its too slow for me.

I mean the battles, the movement of player, just everything except the texts.

Could you tell me please how to speed up all that? i dont know where to do it or which extra program i need.

(I am using Pokemon Essentials if u need to know this)

Thank u very much in advance ! :)

Greetings, Matze

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
to speed up the game, you first need to know what slows it down. There are several possible reasons for lag, and each has a different solution.

1) how big is the map, and how many events do you have on it?

2) do you use parallel processes? if yes, how many on the maps?

3) are you using complex scripts like (for example particle lighting scripts)?

Most often the wrong use of parallel processes creates the lag, although big maps with several hundred events are a close second for this...

Milena

The woman of many questions
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Upgrade your video card and RAM.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think they might mean making the default battle and walk speed quicker, as I found them slow at first too. But, if you turn on dash to automatically be on, the walk speed will increase significantly, and Yanfly's battle system moves *really* fast by default. Maybe that is what they want?

Milena

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh... perhaps there is a frame accelerator script out there that would make the gameplay faster... that's all I know :(

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is XP folks, not Ace. Does XP even have dash? (Well, I'm assuming he's using XP, because that's where he posted)

Use a Set Move Route command at the start of the game to change the player's speed. All NPC events, change their speed to 4 to match the player.

What's Pokémon Essentials? Don't assume people know what it is - provide a link to it.

Milena

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Irish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Also, you can use Ace for XP. You can use the Ace player for XP, so literally speaking, you can use the XP -> Ace integration.

Matzexxxxx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Thanks for your answers.

My RAM or my Computer isnt too slow.

I meant really the speedf of the game, its not aused by the events or the map size, i only like the game a bit faster then default.

Napoleon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Upgrade your video card and RAM.
Afaik RPG Maker (at least Ace) depends for 90% on the processor. And only one core. So you need just a fast single processor. RAM and videocard don't matter at all unless you have less than 256MB but in that case you have other problems.

Yesterday we noticed that someone with an I5 processor ran a certain script at 20-40 FPS with ~30 events while someone with an I7 processor needed near a thousand for the FPS to even start dropping.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Use a Set Move Route command at the start of the game to change the player's speed. All NPC events, change their speed to 4 to match the player.

Matzexxxxx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Well thank you for your tip, but i dontr really know with what scripts speed this up, its in Pokemon essentials and i dont know where i can find the settings for the fight etc..

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Shaz suggestion has nothing to do with scripts, you don't need scripts to do this.

Fow events, this setting is on the left part of the event pages, and for the player you need to make an event with a set move route command targeted on the player, and inside that set move route command you need to use the change speed command.

If you're that new that you can't understand these commands, then I suggest you stop working on your game and take a month or so working through the tutorials - one option would be the link in my signature to learn how to use the RPG makers.

Danna-K

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
It's very easy (written with google trad because I'm french)

First technique :
(recommendations of event maker)

- Do not make too big map
- Avoid overloading your map in event parrallel (no more than 20 parlleles processes running simultaneously)
To use it ... you swhitch, the self-switch (for chests or doors) or the "exit event processing" or "erase event" (if vou do not need this event ).

It is call "learning to orchestrate its events."

Second technique:

If you are running XP (hardware solution by calling script *):

01) Create a new event on your map
02) Turns the trigger in "Parallel Process"
03) Insert a script
04) registered "Graphics.frame_rate = 60"
05) insert "Exit Event Processing"

CAUTION some screen (older monitors) are not suporte we exceed 60 frames per second.

* The apprel of script are not a script!

Matzexxxxx

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Okay, thank u very much for your help.

i took Danna-K's tip now with the frame rate and it works very nice! ;)

I am wondering now how i can start the faster frame rate at the beginning of a pokemon fight.

Would help me very much to tell me where i can set something before a pokemon fight begins :)

PS: I Want the faster speed in battles with wild pokemons too, so i cant just set the frame rate when talking to a trainer i guess..

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kamikun95