How to start to prettify maps? (Parallax and Doodads)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by ElOso, Nov 20, 2016.

1. ElOso

ElOso Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi,

I have a question about making maps look prettier.

I am starting to try and flesh maps out a bit more to make them look a little less rigid and from what I can tell people use parallax mapping. I use GIMP and the interface is simple enough, although I only really use cut, paste, lighten and darken at the moment, but with Doodads coming out a little while ago I would like to know if this is a viable total alternative, as in not parallaxing in image software at all, to making maps prettier in GIMP? Or perhaps they are best used in conjunction? A nice parallax map in GIMP and tweaks made in doodads?

A follow up question I have is there any difference to the project. I understand they should both look the same, assets being cut and pasted from the rtp either via GIMP or Doodads, but does it lead to a large project file difference, say after making a couple of dozen maps?  Would a parallax or doodad map load better if it was the 256x256 and filled to the brim?

All comments appreciated

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yes, parallax mapping requires a full picture for each map and that means the resource use (both HDD space and Memory use) is multiple that of a tileset map.

Just calculate yourself: in pixelation, each position of 48x48 pixels (one tile) requires (assuming 24 bit colorbase) 48x48x3 Bytes of data storage, that is 6912 Bytes or 6,75 KB for each tile.

In a tileset-based map, the same tile requires 3 Byte (one Byte for each layer), plus the overhead of the tileset storage (and the tileset can be used for many maps, which is not possible with parallaxing).

In the case of very small maps with many unique tilesets the tileset overhead counts more and reduces the factor of 2000 times memory per tile a lot, but still parallax mapping will always be at least several dozen times more resource intense than tileset mapping. Which is also why parallax maps are a bad choice if you want to deploy to mobile.

3. Bex

Bex Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just make a compromiss and add a lightmap picture ontop of your tileset map.

A light map picture makes even ugly maps realy nice.

4. ReidenLightman

ReidenLightman Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    It's all these little things that turn me off to the idea of parallax mapping. I'm too used to using tilesets and I like the what you see is what you get motif.

By all means, if you want to use it, go ahead. i'm not telling you not to do it. But from what I've seen, it's a lot of work for a lot of pay-off. I hope it goes well for you. I do, however, find adobe Photoshop easier to use, and the CS2 version can be used for free. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2016