Nightblade50

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Are you the sort of person who has thirty projects with only about a few hours of work into each one? Do you keep having ideas for video games but never end up finishing them? Are you working on a project right now but considering quitting?

If so, I've written this guide for you. I myself regularly struggled from procrastination and what I will call "compulsive game creating syndrome" for a long time. Eventually I learned how to stop struggling with that, and I'd like to share some tips for you to keep working on your game.

Make a game you'd like to play.
Figure out what sort of games you like to play personally. Do you enjoy a classic JRPG? Maybe you're a fan of hardcore survival, or of a mystery game. And figure out a time period: fantasy, historical, modern, sci-fi? Whatever game you make, it should be something that you would like to play.

Don't do anything too hard.
It might be really cool to make the next Elder Scrolls game, but you need to be very careful before doing anything really difficult and time-consuming. You'll find yourself taking far too long to do everything, and it's easy to break off progress on a game that's really difficult.

Identify your strengths and weaknesses.
What are your strengths and weaknesses? Are you a master coder? Are you a talented artist? Are you a good writer? Maybe your strength lies in creating beautiful maps. Make sure you know your strengths and improve on your weaknesses or get help with them.

Limit the projects you're working on: one is best, no more than three.
Unless you're a really professional game developer, you don't want to have a lot of games you're focusing on. It can be difficult to switch from one game to another, the work can be overwhelming, and it'll take you a whole lot longer to finish anything.

Avoid a whole lot of extra features.
One of the most common reasons for failing to complete a game is that game creators want to add a whole bunch of fancy features that aren't needed. Try to go simple. Scripts and features are fun to add, but wait until you've already gotten a lot done on your game to add fancy stuff.

Work every day, but not all day.
This is extremely important. Figure out how much you want to work every day. If you've got some free time, try a couple of hours. But even just half an hour a day can work just fine. The key is consistency. I recommend creating a chart where you record what you did every day. This can help you stay motivated. But you also don't want to work too much every day, unless you have a lot of experience in game making. And it's fine to take breaks sometimes. I usually don't work on my game over the weekend, for example.

DO NOT REDO YOUR GAME!

I saved the most important tip for last. You might feel the urge to redo your game for whatever reason. This is pretty common. But you should be extremely careful before doing over a lot of what you've already done, unless absolutely necessary (like if you accidently used pirated resources). Redoing your game can easily cause you to just quit working on it entirely.

Anyways, I hope that this guide helps you stay working on your game. Good luck!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This is not really a tutorial, so I am moving it to General Discussion

Mythmaker19

Teller of Tales
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would add a bit of advice I saw on here at one point (that I failed to follow and regret):

DON'T MAKE THE FIRST PROJECT THAT YOU WORK ON YOUR DREAM GAME.

When you first start using RPGM, you won't be able to make the kind of quality stuff you're dreaming of right away. Make a few small practice games just to get comfortable with the program.

Otherwise you'll end up like me, 10 years in with nothing at all to show for it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Progress on one of my projects has been slow, but I'm at a spot now where I feel like sharing the four main characters.

From left to right we have: Amabel, Tibby, Dusty, and Wren.

tibbyrpgcast.jpg
I'm in a much better mood about my game than I was 2-3 days ago. I keep switching between sideview and front because of the amount of assets needed for side (I'm drawing it all myself)... but I've decided to stick with front, for my own sanity. sidenote... people, planning is important. I've spent so long on just getting my game's ideas off the ground because I didn't plan ahead.
unknown.png

"Fight me."
I'll finally wash my clothes today!
SA46ATTACK.gif :kaojoy:New Arab character in action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildsky