Tinkerer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Hi there!

I have the following problem: A character which can be named by the player will eventually evolve into another character. This new character uses a separate character profile/ID because it's a completely different class, with new stats and abilities. The only thing I wish it to keep from the old character is the name.
I thought I could use the "Change name" command to add the original name to the new character. But "Change name" doesn't recognize "\N[1]" as a string containing the original name. It will literally call the new character \N[1].
Any suggestions?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
why does it have to be another actor?
you can change class and anything on an actor with event commands, so you can simply change everything that needs to be changed.

that said, if you insist on doing it the other way you'll need to use the script equivalent of the change name command. there is a list of those script equivalents sticky somewhere in each maker subforum, because the functions are different depending on which maker is used.

Tinkerer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
why does it have to be another actor?
you can change class and anything on an actor with event commands, so you can simply change everything that needs to be changed.

that said, if you insist on doing it the other way you'll need to use the script equivalent of the change name command. there is a list of those script equivalents sticky somewhere in each maker subforum, because the functions are different depending on which maker is used.

It's because both actors can be used interchangeably (shape changing). And transferring XP between actors is just going to mess up all levels and skills. The easiest way would just be to swap actors.
I'll look for the script commands in the forum.

Tinkerer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
Found it!
$gameActors.actor(actorId).setName($gameActors.actor(actorId).name())

Works like a charm:)

Thanks Andar!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"This is the real secret to life - To be completely engaged with what you are doing in the here and now. And instead of calling it work, realize it is play."
Me: "I don't to use other engines because I'd have to do a lot of coding."

Also my desktop right now....
mycurrentdesktop.jpg

...I literally spend more time using VS Code than MZ. :kaoswt:
actually, are there any JRPG type games (I guess turn based, so not ARPGs like say, Vagrant Story) where you have only one party member for the majority of the game? (I wonder if I'm forgetting something obvious.)
*sigh* This one turned out really well... except for the left arm pose...
fPRzKSp.jpg

Yes I purposely cutout the arm cause from the pic
A month into making my life/dating sim game and I've finally finished making all of the love interests :kaocry: I still have to make most of their emotion range and overworld sprites but aye I'm proud of myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallmoneyouo