Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi guys,

I try to understand the Hit-Rate and how it works ingame, but I'm not sure if I got it right.

I can define a Hit-Rate of each class, each actor and each weapon, but not of a skill. So, how to understand this? When I set Hit-Rate of my fighter-class to 100% it means, as I understand, fighter will hit each time he strucks a target (I know there is an Evasion-Rate but let's forget about that for the sake of the example). And when I create an actor named Harold and set his Hite-Rate to – 10% it would say that Harold has an overall Hit-Rate of 90%. And if Harold uses a sword with a Hit-Rate + 10% he again would fight with a Hit-Rate of 100%. Did I get this right?

And if this very sword would give a Hit-Rate of 50% he would have an overall Hit-Rate of 140%. Which would make no sense unless I use YEP HitAccuracy where enemys Evade-Rate is substracted from actors Hit-Rate. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hit rate is the sum of all + hit rates the actor has. So if you gave Harold a hit rate of -10%, they would actually never hit unless you also added either a state to increase it or added a hit rate to their class.

Or, to better put it, your hit rate is:

Class hit rate + actor hit rate + hit rate bonuses from all items + hit rate bonuses from all states present on the actor.

Personally, I put all the hit rates in the classes to avoid confusion, then put small bonuses (or penalties) on the weapons. Then outside of certain states, nothing else affects the hit rate.

freebooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for your quick reply!

Did I understand right: If Harold is class "fighter" with a Hit-Rate of 100%, and actor Harold has a Hit-Rate of -10% the -10% of the actor would replace the 100% of the class?

Is it the same with wepaons? Means that if Harold as a class "fighter" with 100% wields a weapon with Hit-Rate of -10% Harold would have an overall Hit-Rate of -10% and not of 90%?

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not quite. It would be 100 + -10 = 90. What I was saying is if you did -10% and had no other items affecting hit rate, then it would be -10%.

Llareian

Jack of All Trades, Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also, Hit Rate is used to determine whether the action is successful, before the calculation involving evasion.

A Hit Rate over 100% is NOT useless, because an Item or Skill's Success Rate is multiplied by Hit Rate to determine the overall chance of success.
So if the actor's Hit Rate is 140%, and the skill only has a 50% success rate, the overall chance of success (before evasion) is 70%.

EDIT: The above is used for physical attacks only.

freebooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Llareian Following your example you mean that to check if a skill/item is used successful, the actors Hit Rate is multiplied by the Success Rate of the skill/item divided by 100?
140 * (50/100) = 70

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yep. So if you set a skill to a 25% success rate, and if you have a to hit rate of 100% normally, it has a 1 * 0.25 = 0.25 or 25% chance to succeed, provided the skill is set to physical attack.

However, if you set it to magical attack, then it assumes a 100% to hit rate, and your to hit rate is always the success rate of the skill. Nothing else factors in, not even states, unless you add a script to change how that works that is.

And certain hit ignores the hit rate and always hits, hence the name. Though I have to admit I have no ide what happens if you set a certain hit skill with a 50% chance to succeed, never tried it.

Llareian

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@bgillisp : Bottom line up front: Certain Hits use success rate, ignore hit rate, and ignore evasion rate.

Regardless of hit type, the action always checks if it missed (if a random number is greater than or equal to the result of the itemHit function), then if it wasn't a miss it checks if it was evaded (if a random number is less than the itemEva function).
Code:
Game_Action.prototype.itemHit = function(target) {
    if (this.isPhysical()) {
        return this.item().successRate * 0.01 * this.subject().hit;
    } else {
        return this.item().successRate * 0.01;
    }
};

Game_Action.prototype.itemEva = function(target) {
    if (this.isPhysical()) {
        return target.eva;
    } else if (this.isMagical()) {
        return target.mev;
    } else {
        return 0;
    }
};

isPhysical checks if the hit type is "Physical Attack" and isMagical checks if the hit type is "Magical Attack".

If the hit type is not "Physical Attack", itemHit will be the successRate * 0.01.
If the hit type is not "Physical Attack" or "Magical Attack" (the only option left being "Certain Hit"), itemEva will be 0.

freebooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ok, so on the ground that means it's not a good idea to diverse a fighter-class and a mage-class in giving the fighter a high Hit-Rate and the mage a low Hit-Rate. As the mage badly needs a good Hit-Rate to effectively cast his spells (which are skills)?

And concerning the Hit-Rate of items: Do I understand right that "Luck" does in no way contribute to the decision if the use of an item is successful or not? If so which actions are influenced by "Luck"?

Last edited:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
By default, all LUK does is increase or decrease the odds of a status ailment sticking. Its really tiny though, you usually have to have a LUK of 999 and the other target has to have a LUK of 1 to really notice it.

As for the mage character, the to hit rate doesn't matter if they use skills set to Magical Attack, as the to hit is ignored in those. That's why you always cast say Fireball when blinded, as you know it will hit.

freebooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So if my class "mage" has a Hit-rate of 20% he may have problems hitting with weapons (unless they have a high percentage of Hit-Rate), but this class-Hit-Rate doesnt effect the Hit-Rate of the Magic-Skill, which I just could set to 100%, means that the spell will alway success?

Llareian

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@freebooter Yes. He will always successfully cast a Magical Attack set to 100% success rate. However, the defender's Magic Evasion (MEV) stat will give it a chance to "evade" the magic.

freebooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the explantions!

One more thing concerning the parameters of skills and items: If I choose "Normal attack" as the damage element of a skill, does it mean that damage element will be dealt according to the damage of the used weapon?

freebooter

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the explantions!

One more thing concerning the parameters of skills and items: If I choose "Normal attack" as the damage element of a skill, does it mean that damage element will be dealt according to the damage of the used weapon?

Guys,
anybody an idea about how "Normal Attack" works? Thanks!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Light up explosions with QABS and Community Lighting.
qcPQHt9.gif
Doing RPG Maker News #18 | Moghunter is Back, Encrypt MV/MZ Plugins, Isometric Geometric Tiles
Unironically, no joke, after consideration and self-reflection, I have decided that the best thing for my creative/workflow/commitment problems is to spend EVEN MOAR hours a day playing videogames than I normally do. (Micro-thread)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CursedBlackWolf