How to Update NW.js to Dramatically improve Game Performance!

DarkSearinox92

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I updated the beginning of the write up so people know its basically a step by step write up for MV users though MZ users can still learn and update their MZ (I just updated my MZ to NW.js version 50, everything is working great. Deployed and test games run just fine)

Anyways.....

Um, everything should work just fine. Why not give it another try? Reset MV back to 29.... make sure it works, then retry the steps in the guide.

Remember, the normal (nwjs-win) and test (nwjs-win-test) folders are set up a bit differently.

1) Normal - contains package and www folder, test does not.

2) Test - contains "chrome..." file.

I swear to you that this is not the first time that I have done this, I tried again after seeing the topic and I said to myself "let's try again". Nothing to do, the window seems to open strange. Just like it's not on the right resolution and F4 doesn't work as i said. This is only in Test mode. And the files are correct <_> That's for MV, i remember...

(Did you update NWJS to v.50 despite Orange Green works staying at 49.2?)

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I swear to you that this is not the first time that I have done this, I tried again after seeing the topic and I said to myself "let's try again". Nothing to do, the window seems to open strange. Just like it's not on the right resolution and F4 doesn't work as i said. This is only in Test mode. And the files are correct <_> That's for MV, i remember...

(Did you update NWJS to v.50 despite Orange Green works staying at 49.2?)

I updated MZ to 50.

I keep MV updated to 49.2 in order for Orange Green works to work with STEAM in my game Killer Gin.

The right resolution? I believe some people have posted about windows opening up differently and how to correct the resolution.

NotADev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for this guide, KillerGin. I updated my MV to v0.50.2 (the latest/stable) and it works great. Updating also fixes an issue with the Gamepad API (Probably because the newer chromium is using a newer version of it) where it wouldn't properly map the Switch Pro Controllers d-pad or the PS4 controllers left control stick. This is great for remapping plugins and users who want to play with switch controllers.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yep, nabbed a plugin that runs scripts on load, told it to run the full screen command there and everything is fine now.

Awesome! Glad to hear!

Thanks for this guide, KillerGin. I updated my MV to v0.50.2 (the latest/stable) and it works great. Updating also fixes an issue with the Gamepad API (Probably because the newer chromium is using a newer version of it) where it wouldn't properly map the Switch Pro Controllers d-pad or the PS4 controllers left control stick. This is great for remapping plugins and users who want to play with switch controllers.

Thats great news! Im happy its working so well!

superisk

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Hard Part!!!! (Mac Platform)

You have to keep in mind that to see certain folders on the Mac you have to right click files and select “Show Contents” in order to see the contents of a folder. You have to do this with the “RPG Maker MV” folder.

1) Unzip the downloaded nw.js files.

2a) Go to your “nwjs-osx-test”, delete everything in this folder (You will NEVER touch the “nwjs-osx-unsigned.zip”) (This is a great time to save copy to revert back to)

b) Add contents of the “nwjs-sdk-v0.49.2-osx-x64” folder (Copy and paste this).

c) Now rename the “nwjs” to “Game”.

d) Now delete the “chromedriver” file (this is simply not needed at all!)

You are DONE!!!! Type “process.versions” into the console and check your awesome new NW.js version! (I also recommend quickly updating your pixi to 4.8.9)

The deployed version and the test version that you run in the editor should work beautifully! Yes there are less steps, you don’t have to do anything to the zipped ‘nwjs-osx-unsigned” folder. Yay Mac!

/////////////////////////////////

Known issue 1 with upgrading NW.js

Mac instructions:

1) Click on desktop -> Go -> hold “alt/option key” -> Library ->Application Support -> Delete the NW folder.

2) In the “Application Support” find the “Default” folder, delete both “Web Data” and “Web Data-journal”.

Done!

Hey! Apologies for the confusion, but before i dive in i'd just like to clarify, as a Mac user, I just need to follow the above steps?

I don't need to update the nwjs-win folder, just the nwjs-osx-test folder?

Thanks!

EDIT: You can ignore this, i followed the step and successfully upgraded. I see some definite performance improvements when running events, but it doesn't fix my screen jitters unfortunately (I'm running a rather large parallax map).
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey! Apologies for the confusion, but before i dive in i'd just like to clarify, as a Mac user, I just need to follow the above steps?

I don't need to update the nwjs-win folder, just the nwjs-osx-test folder?

Thanks!

EDIT: You can ignore this, i followed the step and successfully upgraded. I see some definite performance improvements when running events, but it doesn't fix my screen jitters unfortunately (I'm running a rather large parallax map).
Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I just updated the test folder and it updated the deployed game as well. (I am also a mac user)

Hmmmm. I personally do not use any parallax map plugins.

Glad to hear that you basically upgraded everything and its working well (minus parallaxing)

Did you update to 50.2? Are you using a plugin in? Perhaps it's something that can be fixed with the parallax map plugin.

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So for me updating my MZ nwjs to 50 was:
Backup folders > Drag and drop new folder into old one and replace existing files > do NOT rename nw.exe to Game.exe

Not sure if that little tidbit is worth mentioning to MZ users with steam xD was so confused why it didn't work till I looked at the backed-up files haha! I also don't have a test folder but I'm on PC? Unsure if that's an MZ thing or just a me thing, seems like it playtests right from the nwjs-win folder!

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So for me updating my MZ nwjs to 50 was:
Backup folders > Drag and drop new folder into old one and replace existing files > do NOT rename nw.exe to Game.exe

Not sure if that little tidbit is worth mentioning to MZ users with steam xD was so confused why it didn't work till I looked at the backed-up files haha! I also don't have a test folder but I'm on PC? Unsure if that's an MZ thing or just a me thing, seems like it playtests right from the nwjs-win folder!

AH yes, thanks! Ill add it to the guide. I forgot to mention it.

if you look at the files themselves, you can see this is what you should do. Wasn't updating MZ so much easier?

I dont use MZ too much..... I dunno how far your game is.... but do you see an upgrade in performance by going from version 44 to 50?

UPDATE!!!

I updated the post with a video step by step version!

Riazey

Master of None
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KillerGin Yeah that was how I solved it! To be honest it as 2:30am so I was just blindly following orders at first and had a smoll panic attack ahaha! :kaoslp:

Edit: Oh yeah since it was only a small upgrade I haven't noticed a huge boost to normal gameplay but I do feel like my test map with 1000 spawned events on it went a bit faster haha! I'm sure lower grade pcs than mine would see a bigger difference, where every scrap of help is helpful.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@KillerGin Yeah that was how I solved it! To be honest it as 2:30am so I was just blindly following orders at first and had a smoll panic attack ahaha! :kaoslp:

Thanks for letting me know, and Im glad that it worked for ya!

JPlaysan

知識は力なり
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KillerGin
Awesome guide! I followed your instructions as so for MV to update the nwjs to v0.50.2 and no issues so far when I test play the game. One thing I'm currently trying to do is to update the pixi to the latest version that is 4.8.9 but am having trouble how to do that. I thought if you could include steps to update it but if it's otherwise an obvious thing to figure out then nevermind lol. Anyway, thanks again for finding out about this! I had no idea.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Im happy to hear that it worked so well for you.

The good news is, the updating Pixi is tons easier.

There is a Pixi file in your game folder. JS -> Libs-> Pixi.js

Link: https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/releases?after=v4.4.5 (Scroll down and download version 4.8.9)

Just download and replace the pixi file in your JS -> Libs-> Pixi.js

Ill add this to the guide, thanks!

JPlaysan

知識は力なり
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, is the latest version not v5.3.3? Just came to my attention...unless v4.8.9 is suggested over that version. The last update for v4.8.9 was back in January 16th of last year while v5.3.3 was released on August 4th of last year.

Last edited:

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hmm, is the latest version not v5.3.3? Just came to my attention...unless v4.8.9 is suggested over that version. The last update for v4.8.9 was back in January 16th of last year while v5.3.3 was released on August 4th of last year.

For RPG Maker MV the highest you can go is 4.8.9 (version 4)

Higher versions (5+) will not work with MV, different architecture.

JPlaysan

知識は力なり
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, ok. Thanks! I was quite confused there since I saw the latest version for pixi at v5.3.3; was unaware that the highest I could go is v4.8.9 for RPG Maker MV.

Edit: I spoke too soon...there's an issue with setting the window screen to full screen when it is set to ON. This setting is an option I included by way of the Yanfly Option's Core plugin. Maybe I can find a workaround.

Update: I decided to drop down to nwjs v0.44 (the one MZ uses) from the latest nwjs v0.50.2 update after looking into the problem a bit more and It fixed the fullscreen issue I was having! No other problems besides that so far.

Last edited:

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, ok. Thanks! I was quite confused there since I saw the latest version for pixi at v5.3.3; was unaware that the highest I could go is v4.8.9 for RPG Maker MV.

Edit: I spoke too soon...there's an issue with setting the window screen to full screen when it is set to ON. This setting is an option I included by way of the Yanfly Option's Core plugin. Maybe I can find a workaround.

I believe someone has already found a solution for this..... You will have to check earlier posts.

sb~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks Killer Gin. I updated pixi.js to 4.8.9 and ns.js to 49.2 as you recommended and it works great.

The only problem I have is as others have mentioned: opening a new game now puts the game window in the upper-left corner and not centered on my screen. If anyone has been able to resolve this it would be much appreciated if you could share.

Thanks.

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is amazing! Thank you so much for the step-by-step. My game is definitely running smoother and it fixes an issue that has been plaguing me for quite a while.

I am having the same issue as sb~ with the windowed mode starting in the upper-left corner. It doesn't really bother me too much, but it is a little jarring when I'm used to the window starting in the center (and I'm sure players would be too for the deployed version which I also tested).

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've noticed some small quirks with updating the nwjs manually like this but other than that it seems to work a lot better than it was. Obviously an update from the devs for the engine would be best. I mean why not make an update to MV. Nows the time when 32 bit computers are basically obsolete and this is why this is happening because Mac isn't supporting 32 bit programs anymore.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So this is... a thing.
A little something I've been working on... :kaosigh:
GoArOw1.png
This is a lot of fun
Posted some halloween freebies! Grab them while on season :kaopride:
hallow_cat.png
So my birthday was about a week ago! Just forgot to post it. I went to a Golden Corral, and it was soooooo good! :kaojoy: I also got some Animal Crossing in my life! Yay, Animal Crossing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rocky_Bomboa