How to Update NW.js to Dramatically improve Game Performance!

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. I tried replacing SceneManager.exit(); with SceneManager.terminate(); but unfortunately it's providing the same result... everything fades to black, window goes from fullscreen to windowed, but never closes the actual game window.

Ah, well, I actually use "SceneManager.terminate();" in a small plugin I wrote that is tied to the menus and it works, even though I am using 49.2 I think it would work for you as well.

Here is a small part of it:

"Scene_GameEnd.prototype.exitCommand = function(){
SceneManager.terminate();
}; "

Ace of Spades

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah, well, I actually use "SceneManager.terminate();" in a small plugin I wrote that is tied to the menus and it works, even though I am using 49.2 I think it would work for you as well.

Here is a small part of it:

"Scene_GameEnd.prototype.exitCommand = function(){
}; "
Yeah, that's pretty much the same function I'm using. I even tried to revert back to 49.2 to see if it'd work and it was still giving me the same issue.

After thinking it through, I tried to deploy the project to see if that would work. Turns out this bug only occurs when test-playing from RMMV. I was able to revert back to v 0.51.0 and the bug did not occur after I tried to deploy the project, which was a huge relief. As long as the bug doesn't occur in the final build of the game, I'm perfectly okay with manually closing the game window during test play.

Thanks so much for your time and efforts, it's greatly appreciated!

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Code:
  if (Utils.isNwjs()) {
    require('nw.gui').Window.get().close();
  } else {
  }

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, that's pretty much the same function I'm using. I even tried to revert back to 49.2 to see if it'd work and it was still giving me the same issue.

After thinking it through, I tried to deploy the project to see if that would work. Turns out this bug only occurs when test-playing from RMMV. I was able to revert back to v 0.51.0 and the bug did not occur after I tried to deploy the project, which was a huge relief. As long as the bug doesn't occur in the final build of the game, I'm perfectly okay with manually closing the game window during test play.

Thanks so much for your time and efforts, it's greatly appreciated!

Hey, as long as it works for the deployed version, thats what matters, yay!

TenTranVN

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnam
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does it improve performance better when manufactured to mobile?

villko05

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Islandic
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess I only need to update PC windows folders and deploying to mac/linux it'll use windows new nw.js?

P.S With the most recent version nw.js v0.51.2 I get multiple bugs/errors. One-time parallax map was all black throughout the saves (parallax failed to load for all saves).
My custom save/load menu was stuck had to close the game and overall doesn't look stable (a couple of errors etc.)
+issue with not closing properly for "test" build (delayed closes properly).
+in game's/project folder file "package.json" don't forget to add
"position":"center"
just before fullscreen to properly position your game.

Will try v0.49.2, I hope it's more stable.

P.S.S and unfortunately getting this randomly. I think this happens when showing pictures.
I have Pixi updated to 4.8.9 in my project. First time seeing this error, probably 99,9% caused by new nw.js.

Screenshot_8.png

P.S.S.S
Upon further testing, I found updating nw.js to be very unstable. I get many black screens. Sometimes battles start with a black screen while audio still playing, sometimes opening F8 will make the game screen black. This could happen only in the editor as I haven't tested deployed projects and this can be caused by many plugins I use (it's a complex project with over 250 plugins+compatibility fixes).
I'd love some extra performance, but this seems very unreliable.

P.S.S.S.S
Using nwjs-sdk-v0.44.6-win-x32 (because I want to support even old x32 platforms and the difference between x32 vs x64 seems non-existent) seems to be stable, but needs more testing. So far no black screens or errors. And the Editor test game window closes properly now.
I Will update about stability within a week and further testing, but it seems working fine.

Last edited:

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I guess I only need to update PC windows folders and deploying to mac/linux it'll use windows new nw.js?

P.S With the most recent version nw.js v0.51.2 I get multiple bugs/errors. One-time parallax map was all black throughout the saves (parallax failed to load for all saves).
My custom save/load menu was stuck had to close the game and overall doesn't look stable (a couple of errors etc.)
+issue with not closing properly for "test" build (delayed closes properly).
+in game's/project folder file "package.json" don't forget to add
"position":"center"
just before fullscreen to properly position your game.

Will try v0.49.2, I hope it's more stable.

P.S.S and unfortunately getting this randomly. I think this happens when showing pictures.
I have Pixi updated to 4.8.9 in my project. First time seeing this error, probably 99,9% caused by new nw.js.

View attachment 180791

P.S.S.S
Upon further testing, I found updating nw.js to be very unstable. I get many black screens. Sometimes battles start with a black screen while audio still playing, sometimes opening F8 will make the game screen black. This could happen only in the editor as I haven't tested deployed projects and this can be caused by many plugins I use (it's a complex project with over 250 plugins+compatibility fixes).
I'd love some extra performance, but this seems very unreliable.

P.S.S.S.S
Using nwjs-sdk-v0.44.6-win-x32 (because I want to support even old x32 platforms and the difference between x32 vs x64 seems non-existent) seems to be stable, but needs more testing. So far no black screens or errors. And the Editor test game window closes properly now.
I Will update about stability within a week and further testing, but it seems working fine.

Lol, Well, im glad its slowly coming together. Depending on your plugins etc, there may be a conflict somewhere.

Anyways, awesome.

Vis_Mage

Wisp Charmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quick question, ever since I went through these steps to upgrade my project (Windows, to 49.2), when I playtest my game, the playtest window always opens at the top-left corner of my screen, instead of the center like it had before. Is there any way to fix this?

Ronove

♫꒰・‿・๑꒱
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Quick question, ever since I went through these steps to upgrade my project (Windows, to 49.2), when I playtest my game, the playtest window always opens at the top-left corner of my screen, instead of the center like it had before. Is there any way to fix this?

It's mentioned in this post in the thread.

sirnameless

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you so much for this guide. It's helped a lot.

For my Mac deployment, though... it appears as if NWJS is not updated there? When playtesting, it does not crash, and I don't see the "Your profile can not be used because it is from a newer version of NW.js" error. After I deploy, I see that annoying error, and the game crashes a whole bunch again (because the old version of NWJS is useless on MacOS).

I've updated the nwjs-osx-test folder with version 0.49.2 NWJS. I didn't touch nwjs-osx-unsigned.zip. What could I be missing? Does Mac deployment work perfectly for everyone else? (I am deploying from a Mac, fwiw).

hernieren

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm using MV on PC. I updated NW to 54.1 (only the win and win-test folders) and Pixi to 4.8.9. I haven't noticed any improvement in performance and suddenly my game has no sound... Maybe I need an older version for MV?

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey, hey, I use a mac, and it works perfectly.

Since I posted this, I only use the versions (RPG MAKER MV and NWJS) of what I demonstrated in the video. It works beautifully for most people and me.

I'm sorry to hear it is not working so well for some people. It can come down to many things..... including a few incompatible plugins. I use a f* ton of plugins, and my game works flawlessly. And in general, MOST plugins work perfectly. You can find some people isolating problems and fixing them throughout the posts, which is great to hear.

siguren

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
RMMV

In the thread above, I received a report that I'm having problems running my plugin on top of the updated nw.js.
It turns out that the cause is that the JavaScript arrow function causes a compile error.
It's about a function written as () => {}.
It is a countermeasure, but it is known that it can be corrected by writing the following in package.json.
"js-flags": "--harmony_arrow_functions"
However, I just saw the article that there is such a method, but I have not actually tried it.
I don't understand much about replacing nw.js.
Sorry to trouble you, but would you please give it a try?

sirnameless

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you so much for this guide. It's helped a lot.

For my Mac deployment, though... it appears as if NWJS is not updated there? When playtesting, it does not crash, and I don't see the "Your profile can not be used because it is from a newer version of NW.js" error. After I deploy, I see that annoying error, and the game crashes a whole bunch again (because the old version of NWJS is useless on MacOS).

I've updated the nwjs-osx-test folder with version 0.49.2 NWJS. I didn't touch nwjs-osx-unsigned.zip. What could I be missing? Does Mac deployment work perfectly for everyone else? (I am deploying from a Mac, fwiw).

Okay I've figured out what I missed. In case anyone else gets stuck. Once I exported a Mac build, I needed to do the following:

Go into the RPG Maker MV app (local files from Steam), just like the initial steps mentioned, and find...

The "MacOS" folder - > Copy this and replace the MacOS folder in your exported Game.app (the MacOS folder only has "nwjs" inside)

The "Frameworks" folder - Copy-paste this whole thing into your exported Game.app. (The new nwjs depends on it. It should sit in your Contents folder next to MacOS.)

That's it! Now it runs famously. :D (This is for 0.49.2 NWJS.)

Last edited:

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Okay I've figured out what I missed. In case anyone else gets stuck. Once I exported a Mac build, I needed to do the following:

Go into the RPG Maker MV app (local files from Steam), just like the initial steps mentioned, and find...

The "MacOS" folder - > Copy this and replace the MacOS folder in your exported Game.app (the MacOS folder only has "nwjs" inside)

The "Frameworks" folder - Copy-paste this whole thing into your exported Game.app. (The new nwjs depends on it. It should sit in your Contents folder next to MacOS.)

That's it! Now it runs famously. :D (This is for 0.49.2 NWJS.)

Thanks! Great work!

I love when people share to help others.

Awesome!

EthanFox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can I ask - has anyone found that after they upgrade to a later nwjs, their auto-fullscreen option no longer works?

I have two plugins. First one is...

FSInitStart = SceneManager.initialize;
SceneManager.initialize = function(){
FSInitStart.call(this);
Graphics._requestFullScreen();
};

Second one is simpler...

Graphics._requestFullScreen();

But neither of these work. They work in the normal version of nwjs, but not later ones; one of them seems to do nothing, while the other, when you boot the game it goes fullscreen for an instant, then returns to a window.

In both cases you can still press F4 to fullscreen the game but I'd really like this to work on-boot.

MorsVictrix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Slovenian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi people. I upgraded and seem to bumped into a plugin incompatibility issue between the upgrade and YEP Core Plugin... If I have YEP Core on, the window for test play is turned black. I can't see anything.

If I deploy/export the game, everything works fine, but the testplay is a clack screen with YEP Core turned on.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
plugins probably need updated versions

MorsVictrix

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Slovenian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
plugins probably need updated versions

I understand they might, but to my knowledge I have the newest YEP Core, so the way I see it, turning it off is the only option. :/

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Even though I spent 100's of dollars on my game already. I think I might just have to give it away for free. Since I haven't heard back from people if I could use some of their graphics. Even from a global mod here. Maybe I can make a donation thing.
you know, some days you get resentful that game dev is even considered a "fun job" and other days it's like, welp, time to roll up my sleeves and code these molotov cocktails
If you suck at playing trumpets, that is probably why.
Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.
Much as I love my job, I really hate playing "office politics". It would be nice if I didn't have to pretend to be someone else all day long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hokorrii