How to Update NW.js to Dramatically improve Game Performance!

EndlessGame

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, it would be the same. But it's possible that you will start getting the NW.js profile error mentioned in the original post. If that happens, then you just gotta delete the files mentioned in the original post:
Thanks! Although I'm currently having an issue with downloading version 48.4. When I click on previous releases from https://nwjs.io/downloads/ and click on 48.4 it takes me to this and I can only download each file individually.

Attachments

• Screenshot (470).png
    Screenshot (470).png
    191.7 KB · Views: 5

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@EndlessGame those a all packages, in ZIP, TAZ etc, so download
the win.ZIP or macOS ZIP only, not each of them as most are
source files or different systems :)

EndlessGame

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, it would be the same. But it's possible that you will start getting the NW.js profile error mentioned in the original post. If that happens, then you just gotta delete the files mentioned in the original post:
When I go into the RPGMV file the only thing available is a QtWebEngine folder, after that is a Default folder, and then it's a GPUCache folder and a Visited Links file. In the GPUCache folder are four data files and one index file. Would I be deleting those?

mmKALLL

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got finally succesfully update 0.29 to 0.48.4nwjs with pixi 4.8.9
which is indeed better :)

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just in case any other MZ user is confused: the latest update (1.5.0) has bumped the NW.js version up to 0.51.0. It also seems like orange-greenworks for Steam achievements is possible with this version!
My MZ is up-to-date, and it still has 0.48.4

mmKALLL

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
My MZ is up-to-date, and it still has 0.48.4

Hmm... Could it be possible that Windows and Mac use different versions? I'm pretty sure I haven't touched NW.js myself. I had a look at the patch notes and couldn't find the exact version, though...

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hmm... Could it be possible that Windows and Mac use different versions? I'm pretty sure I haven't touched NW.js myself. I had a look at the patch notes and couldn't find the exact version, though...
It's definitely possible that Mac has a different version than Windows. Since Apple dropped support for OpenGL, it seems feasible that a newer version of NW.js could be required for Mac, in order to accommodate that change.

EndlessGame

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you upgrade NW.js to version 0.49 or higher, it can break plugins that involve input or window manipulation. I personally recommend going with version 0.48.4 (the same one MZ uses). I haven't noticed any notable performance benefits from going higher than that, and it should be safe for all of your plugins.
Unfortunately with reverting to 48.4, my input plugin is still broken. The performance feels the same between the two though, which is good. Haven't figured out how to fix the NW.js profile error yet, but I guess that's for another day.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@EndlessGame there is one for windows, but no for mac, but problem is,
if you play a MV/MZ game with lower version or higher version NWJS,
than open your project, the error pops back up.

there isn't really a permanent solution to get rid of it, there might be
one way, but it require win/mac knowledge to do so, but I dont know
if it is 100% solution as I still get mine back when playing other people
games, and it pop up back again.

Arthran

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks! Although I'm currently having an issue with downloading version 48.4. When I click on previous releases from https://nwjs.io/downloads/ and click on 48.4 it takes me to this and I can only download each file individually.
For Windows, the one that you probably want is this one: nwjs-sdk-v0.48.4-win-x64.zip

When I go into the RPGMV file the only thing available is a QtWebEngine folder, after that is a Default folder, and then it's a GPUCache folder and a Visited Links file. In the GPUCache folder are four data files and one index file. Would I be deleting those?
No, don't delete those. There should be a User Data folder:

1660058690803.png

If you don't have it, I don't know why.

Unfortunately with reverting to 48.4, my input plugin is still broken. The performance feels the same between the two though, which is good. Haven't figured out how to fix the NW.js profile error yet, but I guess that's for another day.
Sorry to hear it didn't help you. Just out of curiosity, what is the name of the plugin?

EndlessGame

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For Windows, the one that you probably want is this one: nwjs-sdk-v0.48.4-win-x64.zip

No, don't delete those. There should be a User Data folder:

View attachment 237215

If you don't have it, I don't know why.

Sorry to hear it didn't help you. Just out of curiosity, what is the name of the plugin?
Thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it. Weird that I don't have that file. Oh well.

The plugin is called EFJ_Baron_Gamepad_Modification.

vishi221

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Why it work for everyone but except me?Drop fps.png
NW 0.49.2 just 1s will drop, it's not stability like version 0.29.4 ( Default ). Can anyone explain?

Last edited:

T34KEN

Happy game maker :-)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I updated nwjs to 0.68. (second time to 0.49.2). Now, instead of playtest there is a huge black square. It doesn't even behave as a window, it's just black square that can't be turned on by tab. I have to go to the task managed and end nwjs to exit rpgm aker. (I still hear sounds from game like title music but thats all). Using MV.
1662833997783.png

In the first lines of the post you say to NOT rename nw.exe to Game.exe and then, in the listed steps you say to in fact rename it? So I followed those steps, replaced nwjs-test with a new nwjs, and in nwjs-win I replaced everything besides www and package.json, renamed nw.exe (in both folders)...

Did this happen to anyone else here?

My bad, redid whole instalation and then thought: wait, maybe its not nwjs, but the project itself. Disabled YEP_Core and it immedietaly launched.

Last edited:

AeroPergold

RPG Maker Nutcase
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I did this tutorial because I'm working on a project called "Venture Quest" as part of a collab with a special needs vocational program that I go to. Someone complained of lag and I knew I needed some optimization.

Thanks to this the performance was night and day. Thanks for telling how to do this thang. UwU

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@T34KEN it's not the plugin of YEP_EngineCore as it is working for me.
it might be your plugin order of yanfly which they are in.

but sometimes, you need to restart MV or close the playtest and re-open it.
as for some reason, it doesn't take effect instantly, so a restart works mostly.

Mac15001900

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It doesn't seem like anyone has pointed out how to get rid of the warnings about missing map files that updating NW causes (or at least I failed to find that with the search tool).

Grab these two files:

As well as "pixi.js.map" when you're downloading the newer pixi.js (it should be an option right next to it).

Put all 3 in your project's "js\libs" folder, same as pixi.js.

Congrats, you now have map files for the entire pixi library, and if it ever breaks you'll now know exactly where ;)

Alternatively, if you just want to get rid of the warnings and don't need those maps (they are just a debug tool and won't affect the game), you can just remove the last lines in pixi.js, pixi-picture.js and pixi-tilemap.js (the comments specifying a map file).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.
ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syczewski