Eric206

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi,

So I'm trying to upload my game onto a brand new Weebly site I've created, so I'm able to test games out on a website and possibly make a website for all my games to go on, besides downloading them and playing them. However, I'm stumped.

So my question is, how do you deploy the game and get it onto Weebly so you can play it straight from the website? What I did so far was deploy the game for web browsers, make a Weebly website, upload a file element, and I don't know what else to do. If anyone is able to help me step-by-step, that would be wonderful.

Thanks!

-Eric N.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It would help if you tell us what a weebly website is...

That said, on a general regular hosted website, all you need to do is create a folder (if you don't want it on the main link) and upload the entire content of the web deployment folder there. then you enter the name of the website with the folder into the browser adress line and are ready to play.

something like

www.website.com/foldername

will automatically launch the game inside the folder, if you uploaded all contents of the deployment with exactly the same folder structure as it is created on deployment.

Eric206

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It would help if you tell us what a weebly website is...

A Weebly website is simply put: A website created with Weebly.

That said, on a general regular hosted website, all you need to do is create a folder (if you don't want it on the main link) and upload the entire content of the web deployment folder there. then you enter the name of the website with the folder into the browser adress line and are ready to play.

something like

www.website.com/foldername

will automatically launch the game inside the folder, if you uploaded all contents of the deployment with exactly the same folder structure as it is created on deployment.

I understand what you say, but I cannot add a folder to the website. The only media options I have available for uploading the game is either via Flash or via File. Could I possibly zip the file and upload it via file from there? Or would it not work like that?

Edit: Here are the options I have available. (see image)

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 4.39.25 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I wasn't aware Weebly allowed one to store such large files. It was my understanding that using Weebly and Wix, you had to host your files on an external site like Dropbox, Mega or Mediafire and make a link to it on your site. I am not entirely sure though...

Eric206

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I wasn't aware Weebly allowed one to store such large files. It was my understanding that using Weebly and Wix, you had to host your files on an external site like Dropbox, Mega or Mediafire and make a link to it on your site. I am not entirely sure though...

Weebly is able to store large files and host them without using a third-party hoster, such as Mega or MediaFire. I used to create Unity games and host them straight from my website.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but I cannot add a folder to the website. The only media options I have available for uploading the game is either via Flash or via File.

Then you cannot host an RM game there, you need the folder structure

Eric206

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Then you cannot host an RM game there, you need the folder structure

Okay, with that said, would there be a way to work around it? Like what soɐɥʞpǝɹǝʇlıɥd said, I could be able to host it from Mega, MediaFire, or even Google Drive, and try and link it to the website...not sure how it would work, though.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can host it anywhere where you have a direct file and folder access. If you need to upload it as single file, it cannot be run (only downloaded and locally run).

Googledrive and dropbox and similiar service are theoretically possible if you set the folders to public, but practically you'll run up against their traffic limits very fast and have the access disabled, unless you pay them for additional traffic - and if you pay, a real website is usually cheaper and better for HTML-Hosting.

Eric206

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
you can host it anywhere where you have a direct file and folder access. If you need to upload it as single file, it cannot be run (only downloaded and locally run).

Googledrive and dropbox and similiar service are theoretically possible if you set the folders to public, but practically you'll run up against their traffic limits very fast and have the access disabled, unless you pay them for additional traffic - and if you pay, a real website is usually cheaper and better for HTML-Hosting.

Alright, that somewhat makes sense. Then if I have all the content on a hosting website, what would I do? Make a text box, paste the share link, save, and then publish the website?

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Basically, yeah. On my website I just use graphic elements to click on as a link, and it takes you to the download. If you buy a domain name, sites such as FreeHostingNoAds.net will allow you to host your game files I believe. They have an FTP uploader. I just use mediafire myself, though.

Eric206

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Basically, yeah. On my website I just use graphic elements to click on as a link, and it takes you to the download. If you buy a domain name, sites such as FreeHostingNoAds.net will allow you to host your game files I believe. They have an FTP uploader. I just use mediafire myself, though.

Okay, I'll probably just try out a couple ideas that come to mind when it comes to uploading the game on my website. I think Weebly is lacking in features like this. What do you make your website with? I might just make a new website and try out what you do.

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Eric206...

You may like to have a look at Firebase, which I believe is an equivalent to Google Drive, but suited to hosting MV Games. I recently installed this, just by following the instructions, and now have my Demo Games hosted there. I find it works very well, for a free system. Worth a look..?

Eric206

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Eric206...

You may like to have a look at Firebase, which I believe is an equivalent to Google Drive, but suited to hosting MV Games. I recently installed this, just by following the instructions, and now have my Demo Games hosted there. I find it works very well, for a free system. Worth a look..?

I checked it out, and it doesn't look too bad. However, I do all my game development on a school computer, so I can't use terminal and host from there. I tried downloading a terminal emulator and typing in the commands there, but it also didn't work. I'll just stick with Google Drive. After all, I DID find a tutorial on how someone hosted their MV game from Google Drive: 

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Eric206...

Sorry, but that won't work. That's where I had my Demos hosted until very recently, but Google Drive stopped supporting hosting at the end of August, so that video is, I'm afraid, out of date and obsolete.

I'm not sure what your work environment will or won't allow; I'd have thought that Firebase would have been OK. Could you not ask advice from the IT bods managing your school environment..? They'd be the ones best placed to know what can or can't be done. T'would be a waste to set everything up, only to find that it can't  be accessed.

Sorry for the bad news, but Google Drive is no longer an option.

Google Drive Hosting Deprecated ...

Eric206

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Dad3353

Well, I was trying out the tutorial, and it wouldn't work. So you're right, it was out of date. The IT people at our school won't do anything, since they aren't going to unblock Terminal at our school. Unblocking Terminal means that we can unblock anything we want at our school.

I'm getting off-topic now. Google Drive isn't an option, Firebase isn't an option. I tried Mega, but that didn't work, I couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Oh well...

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I use media fire, I don't know if they have a limit, but I have had over 100 DLs of a 300 mb file in a month, no bandwidth issues from them. Also, I don't know if you will be able to use it, but another user posted a tutorial and posting and hosting your game on its own URL...

Without access to Terminal, though, I don't know if this will work for you.

Eric206

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, it most likely won't work. Plus, the tutorial is for Windows. I'm attempting to do this on a Mac (even though I'm more of a Windows person) because my Windows PC broke down a couple days ago but I was able to get the project on my Mac.

Oh well, looks like that tutorial might not work...

zerrious524

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi I finally completed my game but I don't know how to publish it on a website, I want to publish on RPG maker website and on Google Drive for 5 dollars.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

zerrious524, please refrain from necro-posting in a thread. Necro-posting is posting in a thread that has not had posting activity in over 30 days. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Please start a new topic with your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A video update on the progress I've been making on the cutscenes. :kaosalute:

I wonder if color LUTs is possible for RPG Maker. It would be game changer and can replace the not so good looking tint screen
new mechanic in battle where you can mentally erase enemies when you deplete all their MP instead HP. this gives you a special item of their "memory". it's pretty to do in battle so far.
Apparently MZ lets you preview move routes in the move route editor without having to start up test game. That could save a lot of time during development compared to MV, especially for a long game that uses a lot of event movement for cutscenes.
A repost of an old meme I had made, now with music

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GabrielTakahashi16