How to use MGC's FPLE

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Tsukihime, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    MGC has developed a First-Person Labyrinth Explorer map system for Ace

Here's the script page with a demo (script and resources in the demo).

http://www.rgss-factory.net/2013/09/10/ace-fple-ace-first-person-labyrinth-explorer/

Here's how it looks in-game

[​IMG]

Map Editor

You will need to use a custom map editor to build the maps

http://www.rgss-factory.net/2013/09/10/ace-marta-outil-de-configuration-de-scripts/

[​IMG]

Documentation for the map editor comes with the program inside "documentation.html"

For starters

1. Extract the archive

2. Run Game.exe

3. Select FPLE Ace

4. In the top left corner you will see the menu bar. Click on the first button on the left to create a new map.

5. Choose your map dimensions, click the arrow

6. Choose a tileset for your map, and pick some default tiles for the ground/wall/ceiling. Then click the arrow. If you need more tilesets, read the docs on how to create more tilesets.

7. Now your map is ready to be edited.

8. Use the arrow keys or hold down the mouse wheel and move your mouse to pan the map.

9. Click on the "Texture" button in the top-right and a panel should open

10. Choose a tile and then add it to your map

11. The "mode" is the layer edit mode: you can edit the ground, wall, or ceilings separately.

12. In the menu, press the second button to save your map. Name it something unique.

13. Now you can export your FPLE map to Ace. Click on the 5th button (previously it was grayed out if you had not saved). Click on the folder button in the top-right, select your rvproj file. If a map with the same name exists, it will tell you that it will be overwritten. Otherwise, a new map will be created. Click Export.

Now, if your project is already open, close it without saving and re-open it to see the new map. You can add events to it, change the tile properties in the database, but that's really all you can do.

You have successfully created an FPLE map.

FPLE mode and non-FPLE mode

FPLE is a custom map mode. You can create your project with the default map system as well as the FPLE map system.

The map mode is determined using a note-tag. If you create the FPLE map using Marta, it will automatically tag it for you. You should ALWAYS create your FPLE maps using Marta.

Customizing it for your own needs

Like any other RM project, you can customize the engine with your own scripts.

Adding an appropriate HUD to the project allows you to create unique RM projects

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  2. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to script support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    Adding the Unlimited Resolution script to the Marta map editor allows you to edit maps in a high-res window.

[​IMG]

While the resolution script is not suitable for public consumption, it is good enough for development purposes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
  4. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow, this is pretty cool! I assume it "only" handles a flat map (no height)? How does it work with events and such?

5. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    As far as I can tell, you only walk on the "ground" layer.

Marta allows you to edit the walls and ceilings, but those are just to construct the map itself.

You create your tileset in Marta, and then when you export the map to Ace, the map along with the tileset is created (which means you need to re-open your project to load the new data)

Events are created in RM as usual. For example, you can place an event in front of a bookshelf so that when you examine the bookshelf, the event will activate.

You will need custom event sprites because those 32x32 ones are just way too small.

You'll probably want your sprites to be at least 96x96

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
    RachelTheSeeker and Galenmereth like this.
  6. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Interesting stuff :) I will have to look at these when I'm done with my current game; my scripts are already taking a lot of my attention away from my actual game. But I'll be following this script and project, because I think this is something I definitely want to use for a future project!

7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    looks quite nice... gotta try it out

8. Tchangla

Tchangla Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    I have a problem with Marta script configurator.

When I open it, it show me this

[​IMG]

"Script 'Marta : Kernel' line 12: Encoding::UndefinedConversionError ocurred.

"\xFA" from ASCII-8BIT to UTF-8"

I am using Windows 8.1 and last version of RPGMaker Ace VX, but I tested in a Windows 7 PC and shows me other error, I don't know what it can be.

Anyone knows something? Thanks ><

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  9. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How did you copy the script?

Ascii and UTF are text file formats, and that looks like you had a non-standard notepad-like program handling part of the transfer.

Try the following:

Copy the script from the script editor to windows' notepad. save it as a new file somewhere, and set the coding to UTF-8 when saving with notepad.

Close notepad, open the file again, copy and replace it into Ace's script editor.

If it really is a wrong letter code, that should solve it.

If that doesn't solves it, there is a problem with one of the strings in the script - and someone who knows more about that script needs to take a look at it.

10. Tchangla

Tchangla Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    I did what you said and It didn't work.

Algo, I didn't copy the script, Marta is like a standalone program itself, you place the Marta project folder inside the project desired, and It should open. But not for me.

11. MikePjr

MikePjr Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So where do i put the script to make it work?

12. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    In the Marta project.

Try adding

Code:
    # encoding: US-ASCII
    to the top of that script. Don't know if that makes a difference.

13. Tchangla

Tchangla Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    It doesn't work ><

I don't understand why it doesn't work, i didn't changed anything, only copied the folder like the FAQ says.

EDIT : I've just fixed it. I've put an # before "require 'fileutils.rb' ", and it worked. Why did happen that error only to me? Who knows, but at least, now works.

Thanks for helping me ^__^

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2014
  14. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know that script, but most probably you just set yourself for a lot of headaches in the future.

"require" means that the file named after that command needs to be loaded for full functionality.

If you get an error message with that active and don't get it without it, then you just removed the error by removing part of the editor functions.

Judging from the name "fileutils", there is a good chance that you just removed the load/save functions of that editor...

EDIT: and if the error was part of the fileutils, then most probably the system had problems with access rights on the folder where you stored the data - same happens for example when you try to create a project in a restricted folder. RMXP is a good example, because that old program had the default project path into a folder that had become restricted in newer windows versions.

If you're using Win7 or Win8, then you might need to change the place where the project is saved to the "my documents" folder or a general, new root folder to get clean access rights...

15. MikePjr

MikePjr Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Where in the marta project..... i mean under what?

Where do i put the script within the other scripts?

The very top?

The very bottom?

Before a specific group of scripts?

I put the script at the top.. i get an error...

I put the script before main at the bottom, i get another error.

So i need to know WHERE exactly it goes.

Do you have a demo with it added already?

That might help.

16. Tchangla

Tchangla Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Andar, what you say is true.

When I try to export from the Marta app a map, it crashes and prompt me the same error than earlier. It can't work properly without that function.

I've tried to move into another folder (i've tried desktop) and it doesn't work. I've tried also in a W7 PC and it shows me another error.

Maybe it won't work for me for having a spanish versiĆ³n of Windows or something? (all of them original).

It is a shame, when I finally find a engine that is perfect for me, I can't make it work xD

Thanks for all the help guys.

17. Tchangla

Tchangla Villager Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    I am testing it now on a Windows XP computer, and it shows me this error

I didn't modify anything from the script or engine.

Maybe all of my computers lack some software or something? I don't know what more can I try , i think that my computers have problems while using "fileutils.rb" or something like that.

Tsukihime, you can run Marta without problems, do you? You have any specific PC configuration or something? I'm using the latest VX Ace version, in English.

Thanks for the help >_<

18. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Or it might be something else...

The code that is reported as "unexpected" is part of a regular HTML or XML-Specification, and if the editor reports that as a syntax error, then it either tries to parse a file it shouldn't parse (which means that there is a configuration problem), or the parsing engine is missing on the computer (which can either mean completely missing, or that the installed version is either too old or too new for the code to be recognized.

Could either be Java, Javascript or something similiar that has problems now...

19. Tsukihime

First Language:
    English
    What is on line 12?

20. Mouser

Mouser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Has anybody tried the High Fantasy sprites to see how they look in these tunnels?

Looks like it has a lot of potential.