Trust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hi all, I tried to make an event using a parallel process, the event is a simple intro after starting a new game, with dark screen and some dialogue, but I don't know why, for a split second I see the character and the map before the intro starts.

Can someone tell me what did I do wrong?

Daemoshiin

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You're using it correctly, though you might want to set it to Autorun instead of Parallel process.
Parallel happens alongside everything else, whereas Autorun happens while everything else freezes.
Ideally you want Autorun for cutscenes, and Parallel for random ambient stuff or checking switches/variables.

As it's at the start of the game, you'll want to go into the Database's "System" tab and tick the box that says "Transparent ON" - That way your characters will be invisible at the start of the game, and all you need to do to bring htem back is put a move route in the event that sets Transparent back to OFF.

Trust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You're using it correctly, though you might want to set it to Autorun instead of Parallel process.
Parallel happens alongside everything else, whereas Autorun happens while everything else freezes.
Ideally you want Autorun for cutscenes, and Parallel for random ambient stuff or checking switches/variables.

As it's at the start of the game, you'll want to go into the Database's "System" tab and tick the box that says "Transparent ON" - That way your characters will be invisible at the start of the game, and all you need to do to bring htem back is put a move route in the event that sets Transparent back to OFF.
Well the thing is that it does ake my character get transparent, but the thing is, it still shows the map, transperancy just made my character invisible.

Do I have to make a black or invisible map and then make the character gets transported to the actual first map, or is there an actual way to have the completely black text only intro?

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
don't use a parallel event.
send the player to an empty map (not your first map), put an autorun event running the sequence, make the character invisible, play the sequence, fade out, transfer the player without fade, make it visible, and then fade in.

you need to add a middle step in between the transfer and the fading in, which can't be done without coding the thing through the interpreter.
fading in and out manually is the quickest work around

additionally, you can start with a player character without a sprite, and then change it through the change player image command.
it's the same effect, except you don't make the player *invisible* at the beginning, you just show it *empty*

Trust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
don't use a parallel event.
send the player to an empty map (not your first map), put an autorun event running the sequence, make the character invisible, play the sequence, fade out, transfer the player without fade, make it visible, and then fade in.

you need to add a middle step in between the transfer and the fading in, which can't be done without coding the thing through the interpreter.
fading in and out manually is the quickest work around

additionally, you can start with a player character without a sprite, and then change it through the change player image command.
it's the same effect, except you don't make the player *invisible* at the beginning, you just show it *empty*
Ok it worked, thank you very much everyone, there is still a delay from the character appearing in the screen after the map already appeared, but for now I'm ok with this result :)

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Parallel and Autorun are nearly the same, but autorun is used for cutscenes and the player cant move in that time, but the map will be visible for a split second before it starts to run. Also when an Autorun is active other parallel event wait or started later (cant fully recall).

So i would guess use Parallel instead of Autorun in this Case.
Because Autorun is most likely fault that you see the Map for a split second.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
that's because the fading happens before the command sent to the player.
fade out first, manually, transfer without fade, change the player aspect (invisibility or image), and then fade in.

if that's what you're already doing, there might be some lag when loading the sprite.
not much you can do about it through editor commands.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well actually in the editor you can select to have the player transparent. Then the sprite is not shown until you turn it off by the event command.

Trust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Parallel and Autorun are nearly the same, but autorun is used for cutscenes and the player cant move in that time, but the map will be visible for a split second before it starts to run. Also when an Autorun is active other parallel event wait or started later (cant fully recall).

So i would guess use Parallel instead of Autorun in this Case.
Because Autorun is most likely fault that you see the Map for a split second.
Well I tried to use both parallel and autorun to see what works better, and autorun does work better indeed,
and now I fixed the delay.

Thank you everyone :)

Mhin Ra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think I had a similar problem, where on initial game start, it was hard to control how the game started displaying. What I ended up doing was using a parallel event (although I think autorun is fine too; but if you do use auto-run, make sure no other auto-run events are executing before it) that puts a picture that's just a 544x416 black box over the entire screen as it's very first line. If you ensure that event is running as the very first thing on the map, then it'll happen before the map is rendered. Then, while that picture is up, you can fade out the screen, erase the picture, set up your scene behind the black screen image and then fade in at your leisure. Or you can just do a move picture on the black box to fade in the screen however slowly you want (like for the initial fade in of the game, you might want it to take 120 frames instead of the default 60).

The net effect of that is that I got to control exactly how the game started displaying, rather than being forced to show the map immediately. Perhaps the technique will be useful for you as well :)

Trust

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English Italian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think I had a similar problem, where on initial game start, it was hard to control how the game started displaying. What I ended up doing was using a parallel event (although I think autorun is fine too; but if you do use auto-run, make sure no other auto-run events are executing before it) that puts a picture that's just a 544x416 black box over the entire screen as it's very first line. If you ensure that event is running as the very first thing on the map, then it'll happen before the map is rendered. Then, while that picture is up, you can fade out the screen, erase the picture, set up your scene behind the black screen image and then fade in at your leisure. Or you can just do a move picture on the black box to fade in the screen however slowly you want (like for the initial fade in of the game, you might want it to take 120 frames instead of the default 60).

The net effect of that is that I got to control exactly how the game started displaying, rather than being forced to show the map immediately. Perhaps the technique will be useful for you as well :)
I see, well thank you very much :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Ksi
Looking forward to messing around with MZ when it comes out in little over a week. Anyone else amped? What's the first thing you're gonna look at/try to do?
by now, I think most people know that I hate misanthropic bad guys, but I realize one more reason I hate them so much is because the motive is easy and takes no thought to come up with. It's actually more challenging to create a villain that doesn't have that motive.
SOC
If the VisuStella videos are using the MZ RTP tilesets... I'm really disappointed. MV's look so much better. I hope it's easy to convert MV tiles to MZ.
If this thing end to be good enough, I'll be pleased to release it there for free (looong to be completed...).
And back. Trying to work online with no internet for 1.5 days was...interesting. I felt like a character in a old Sierra game trying to find internet due to all the hoops I had to jump through just to get online for work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JibberJabber