How to work on my game while away from home?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I've hit a snag. For a while there, I had an unusually large amount of free time to sit at my desktop computer and learn how to use RPG Maker MV. It was a lot of fun. Real life is back and my free time consists of small pockets of time that are usually away from home. I'd really want to get back to it, though. So I have a few questions that maybe you can help me out with.

1. Do you do any work on your game away from home and if so, what types of things do you work on? Work in this instance is more than just thinking about what you want to do on your game when you get home. 

2. What tools do you use? Laptop? Windows tablet? Notebook and pencil?

3. Has anyone tried using RPG Maker with only a touchscreen interface? Is it mostly usable? I'm concerned that mapping might be a problem.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out the most optimal way to fill in pockets of free time with RPG Making while away from home and am curious how you all accomplish this same goal.

Thanks!

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I recently had a semester where I had a bunch of 2 hour breaks where I was stuck on campus. So here is how I did it:

1: If I took my laptop to campus that day, I would boot it up and maybe draw a map, or do database work. I chose those as for me they are tasks I can be interrupted from easily, in case I suddenly needed to leave.

2: If I didn't take my laptop, I would paper draw the next map. This means make a rough sketch of where everything is going to be, and a rough idea of how big the map is. Some days I got 3 - 4 maps done this way in the break.

Astfgl66

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I try mainly to focus on the lore of my current project in my free time away from home. I work at it with pen and paper and refine it further before putting it in my lore word file at home.

Then there's the obvious thinking about what features I could build. If I decide on something then I try to build a rough idea with pen and paper about what the feature will take as input, what it will give as output and what steps I think I should take to achieve that. This is both for my complex eventing and my scripting.

Never tried to work RPGMV with only the touch screen, but I probably will not because I do almost all my eventing via script calls anyway and with a touchscreen it would be a huge hassle. Mapping could work I guess.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, if it's a situation I can't take my laptop, I use paper notebooks. I might outline the story, start writing dialogue, make lists of items I want. For one project, I would work on the crafting stuff - figuring out materials and what they would craft. If I need to look something up for research, I can usually use my phone. You can use paper and pen to work out lists of weapons, armor, skills, whatever. I actually find that for me, this type of brainstorming and list making goes smoother on paper than on computer.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A good game has a lot of things to plan for - the lore mentioned above or pre-drawing and planning the maps on paper are only a part of the work that is needed for a game.

There are a lot of other things that can be done without a computer - like planning how to balance the battles, planning descriptions on a lot of game components, or planning conservations with NPCs (since RMs do not have spell-checking, you better write them in a word processing program and copy them into MV later)

The Art of Gaming

Owner of the Green Tunic in Dreamland
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
1. My school gave us Ipads so when I was done with work I would log into Google Docs and work on my story and characters or use the time to research things like cool puzzles to implement. If I couldn't do that, I used note cards. One day I just grabbed a bunch of note cards and a ring for them and started drawing out my maps and doing character bios. 

2. I use everything I can: dry erase boards, notecards, empty notebook pages, my laptop, etc. 

3. Yep, and it's kinda a pain. I haven't figured out shift mapping on it, so you might have to do some touch ups with the mouse and keyboard later. Other than that it's surprisingly usable.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
3. Yep, and it's kinda a pain. I haven't figured out shift mapping on it, so you might have to do some touch ups with the mouse and keyboard later. Other than that it's surprisingly usable.

Out of curiosity, what kind of processor is in your tablet?

The Art of Gaming

Owner of the Green Tunic in Dreamland
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah, no I must've misunderstood. I have one of those laptops that converts so you can use it as both, would knowing its processor still be useful?

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ah, no I must've misunderstood. I have one of those laptops that converts so you can use it as both, would knowing its processor still be useful?

I was just seeing if it were a cheapy, low-end Windows tablet. I was thinking of picking up something like that to have on the go. I have MV installed on an SD card being powered by a low end Celeron n2840 so I'm guessing that it'll run on pretty much anything. It doesn't run well, but it does run. If you had something like this, I would have been interested to know how it performed.

koolaid5

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
While at work, I mainly have just grabbed a pen and paper and started writing out a plot line to follow.  Along with that, I would jot down possible ideas to add (classes, items, etc).  I haven't gotten to the point of drawing maps out yet, but that could be an idea for the next time I'm bored at work.  Lore and backstory I would try to work into the story/plot line I'm writing out.  It's been about a month since I've really gotten my hands dirty with the project I'm working on (kinda due to lack of motivation).  When I have the game open, lately it's been on my desktop.  I've been trying to keep both my desktop and laptop up to date with my latest updates whenever I work on it.

RogdagoR

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
I usually write down ideas that come in my mind on my Google Docs, i have it linked everywhere, on my PC, at work, on my phone and pads, so when i get the inspiration i can write don there and it don't get lost.

Also happens that i draw some flow charts or maps highlights into paper and start doing some math about balancing stuff.

Usually at work when i have some free time i connect to my PC at home with TeamViewer and try on RM the stuff that went to my mind, or with my laptop/pad if i'm outside far away from home for reasons(there s the app also for iOS and Android).

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Evening humans! How goes the game make?
The anime characters we saw 20 years ago,
still have the same age when we see them now.
Somehow it's strange but also beautiful.
It's like no matter how much we change,
there's certain part of ourselves we can reconnect to when we see them again.
Took a long, long time, way longer than it should to be honest...but I've finally finished the big content update to my demo!
Lots of not good things happening IRL but I'm not gonna let this day end like this. Quote time:
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." -Winston Churchill

So, keep going, lads. Whatever you do keep going. Until next time.

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!. (please)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobcreator12