how to write written sound of pain/yelling/spitting/roaring/swinging?

shimmai

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hello all,

i need some help to write the written sound of pain, especially for girls screaming.

i tried to write the simple way like "arghhhh" for boy, or "kyaaaaaaa" for a girl, but it doesn't sound right. and how long should i type that? i mean, when i type kyaaaaaaa" then i saw the text on game text box, i don't know why it feels so weird

also, i need some better input for:

sound of someone in pain like after they got slash by monster.
sound of someone yelling in a fear after they saw something shocking, like dead body
sound of someone spitting on enemy face
sound of someone coughing the blood
sound of monster roaring, like a dragon roar
sound of someone when they swing something like sword

thanks for helping :D

EpicFILE

Epic Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think simple "aaaaaa" or "eeeeek" kinda works?
Other than that, it can be some phrases like "my goodness!"
(though it won't work when getting slashed)

shimmai

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I think simple "aaaaaa" or "eeeeek" kinda works?
Other than that, it can be some phrases like "my goodness!"
(though it won't work when getting slashed)
yes i've used that "eeeeek" to show something disgusting, but i don't know how to write a scream. it feels weird with just "aaaaaa" .

if using phrases, i feel the emotion is not really delivered. i mean something like this for example:

when party found something nice/terrible, it's better to write *gasp* followed by "my goodness!" rather than just "my goodness!"

i know it's really complicated, but i want to player know what the character is doing in cut scene hahahaha.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Surprise!

Dragon Roar : ROAR!
Spit : *spit*
Coughing the blood : *cough*
Swooshing the sword: *swoosh*

80% of english words are onomathopeic.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As with @Dororo's examples, in English its often better to describe the action/sound than actually write it down as speech. By using asterisks you can intermix it with dialogue while still indicating that it's a sound/action and not them just saying the word.

So you'd use words/phrases like;
*gasp* *screams* *cries* *winces* *clutches chest*

Though in cases were you absolutely need it as a 'word' things like these can work:
tch: dissatisfied, upset
urgh: pained, disappointed
gah: shocked, reaction to being hit
hah: making an action such as attacking
yah: like hah but stronger sounding, i.e. crits.
zyah: like yah but stronger still, i.e. special moves.

Basically try to imagine what sound the character would make and try to combine letters with similar sounds. I'd still be careful with how much you use these.

Mrs_Allykat

Failsauce
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What you're asking for is an example of onomatopoeia, the art of written sound. Yes, that's a word, and a google search for it results in some interesting sites. Like the Onomatopoeia Dictionary.

Keep in mind, the whole topic is a rabbit-hole, and you can nuance yourself to death. The best thing you can do is experiment a little to find what suits you. Yanfly's message core for MV (or equivalent for other engines) can help in this regard, since bold, italics, font size, and all caps help tremendously for conveying sound effects.

BANG! carries more weight than bang.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just read more comic books if you need good examples of spoken sound effects. But for how I would approach them, without context:

sound of someone in pain like after they got slash by monster.
Gah!, Guah!, Aagh!

sound of someone yelling in a fear after they saw something shocking, like dead body
Aahh!, Eek! (girl's voice)

Ptew.

Cough!, Hack!

Raaarrghh!!, Rroooaaahhrr!!, Graaaaarr!!

Hah!, Hya!, Huraagh!

You can do a lot more, but it all depends on the context of the scenes and the characters involved.

h0tWalker

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
sound of someone in pain like after they got slash by monster
yAA~h, HOoo, gUUck
To adress the first word first, it's generally a more feminine expression seen in a lot of JRPGs when being hit, i like to add "~" as in my notes, it refers to it being toned down, and end on a more quiet sound. the Y starts low, the A's are the peak, as it tunes out and end on the H. The others are generally me smacking my stomach gently to create sound effects and trying to note down what it sounds like. Used this trick during a game jam (mentioned further down as well) to stimulate falling damage. Can't confirm this, but think this is also used for minecrafts damage sound, sounds a lot like it at least.

"AAAAAAAAA"
"...." *limp effect once or twice* "AAAAAAAAAAAA"
*shaken breath* *limp effect once or twice* "AAAAAAAAAAAA"

This generally comes down to expression of character. But if you wanna create depth to it, I would start with maybe some silence, let it sink out, maybe a few nervous breaths or sounds that i can't really explain too well, but sorta like limping if it makes sense. It serves as a distress, dissatisfaction or slow realization untill the scream actually arrives. This builds it up so it has more meaning than just being a scream, as it shows how much this truly affects the character. Of course, if you just want a scream, then ignore this P:
The reason i stick to "AAAA" is that its just more natural to scream that out. Essentially, for variation, I'd look into screams if I felt i wanted to alter it a bit.

*Rrcht spit*
You see this in movies or other series, but i generally like the idea of charging up, or making an effort to getting the spit ready to truly get the feeling of disgust shown

*Shaken Coughing*
The reason i like to have it a bit shaken, or a bit stressed added to it, just adds the pain, or distress in the sound of itself.

"RRRROOOAAAAAAAAHhh"
Don't really have anything for this. It's pretty much down to just making sounds. Saw a guy who sat making monster sounds into a microphone, and then used an audio program to tune them into the actual effects. It would be anything from intense growls to grunting and so on.

*Swoosh* *swoosh pling*
When i did sound design during a game jam as a game design student, we initially used a broom with no head to stimulate swing sounds that didn't connect to anything. To add detail to it, we flipped a coin to get the metal effect, and added it towards the end to make a peak sound of metal at the end of the swing effect. We weren't professionals, but it worked out pretty well. I don't really know how to translate it into text, but the above is my best guesses :D

Hope my dragged out answer has been of help, and hope this can also contribute a bit to bring out the best in the voices, and also some tricks on how to do sound effects. If your interested in tricks, I think the studio that did all the sound effects for King Kong has a video on youtube on some of the sound effects they did for the movie, and you'll see what the sounds really are compared to what you see in the movie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I think I've created a monster.
...and I love it. <3
Today represents my one year anniversary of throwing out the tile map. :LZSexcite: One year ago my game looked like...

And now for those that don't know, it looks like..

What a year, what a year indeed. RIP Tile Map, nobody misses you. :LZSwink:
There is now a demo released for [Beyond the Mirror]! Check the team recruitment thread to learn more!
'Tis the season to see shipping prices and go 'Yikes'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ytviews123