How well did your first game sell on the market?

Discussion in 'Commercial Games Discussion' started by Knayter, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Yitzi Litt

Yitzi Litt Made Nepenthe — An RPG that's one giant dad-joke Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All these people are saying how "1000 copies in the first month is not great"—the funny thing is that my game has now been out for around 5 months, and has sold less than 400 copies (on Steam); Don't know whether that says a lot about my skills as a game dev, the state of the industry now, or both...
    Looking at your games though, I wonder if perhaps my pricing is wrong. The average playtime for Nepenthe is 1-2 hours, while most RPGs are 20-100 hours, but nonetheless people might be passing on my game because the pricing makes it look trashy... What's your thinking—should I change the pricing, is there something else I should be focusing on changing, or am I just overthinking this whole thing?

CleanWater and Knayter like this.
  2. jkweath

jkweath Goes Fast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @bgillisp going by number of reviews alone I'd say the game sold somewhat well, and definitely brought in a lot more money than the average RPGM game.

Steamspy (yes, I know Steamspy isn't accurate, I'm using it for a ballpark estimate, don't shoot me) reports that the game probably has less than 20,000 purchases. Looking at the game's official website, it appears the game was a team effort. In the end, I doubt the developers "made bank" off of it, but If I had to take a wild guess, the game was probably a financial success--not enough to retire off of, but successful nonetheless.

@Yitzi Litt I wish I had good advice for you. I wouldn't call the $4.99 pricetag "trashy" honestly, and IMO there's nothing wrong with having a shorter game. Also my understanding is that it's bad mojo to raise the pricetag of a game, so I'd stick with $4.99 if I were you.

Just glancing at your Steam page, I don't see anything inherently "wrong" with it; seems like the description of your game and everything matches your art and gameplay. My honest, somewhat-but-not-really-educated, guess is that your game just failed to hit a good niche. The surreal games niche, maybe, but I'm not aware if that niche even exists or how many people exist in it, lol.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Yitzi Litt : I'd say you are doing fine honestly. My research seems to show the stall out point overall is near 1000 copies. Though that was also 2 years ago when I did that, so it is probably lower now.

Plus as I mentioned in another post I did reverse math with an RPGMaker game on Steam using the global achievements % and how much they all went up when I got them (I beat the game in one day), and I came up with it sold 45 whole copies. Just 45. Though 90 is plausible if someone else beat the game the same day I did and started at the same spot and got the achievements at about the same moment I did, but that's not too likely to occur too often, so I'd be shocked if it was honestly higher than 90.

4. DivideByZero

DivideByZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  5. jkweath

jkweath Goes Fast Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If we were generous and assumed they've sold 10,000 copies, that would be $300K. Take out another generous 50% to factor steam's cut and discounts and you've got $150K.

Depending on how many developers the game had, that really wouldnt be bad especially considering the game hasn't been out for even a year yet. Buuuut that's assuming it even sold 10,000 copies.

Overall I'd bet the game definitely made the developers some money, plenty more than the average RPGM user.

Golden Unicorn Gaming likes this.
  6. CleanWater

CleanWater Independent Developer Veteran

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Is there any alternative to Steam Spy? I don't want to spent money on Patreon just to see some data about this game.:aswt:

7. DivideByZero

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    What? The data I linked is free.

8. CleanWater

CleanWater Independent Developer Veteran

First Language:
    PT-BR
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Ah, never mind. I didn't noticed that there are the total owners numbers in the left side, in really small letters, alongside many other things. :guffaw:

20k is really something though!:eek: (Assuming it reached this amount)

9. DivideByZero

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's 0 to 20K. So it could be a dozen sales. Judging by the follower count, I'd say it's not doing so well. Doesn't tell you how much each sale was either.

Will be a bunch of free keys and discounted sales also.

10. FluffexStudios

FluffexStudios Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I would say they sold around 1000 copies based on the number of followers and achievement statistics.

Golden Unicorn Gaming likes this.
  11. DivideByZero

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not too bad if it were pocket money, but overall a commercial fail.

12. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Achievement statistics only get you < 1000 no matter what game though, due to the percents only going to 0.1%. It would have to go to 0.01% to get better than that. So all it does is confirm it is at least near 1000, but it could be well over that and we'd never know that way.

Though, if someone buys the game and when you get an achievement and the % doesn't go up at all for all achievements, that means it is at least > 5000 or so, as it needs to be that much to not even budge it by 0.1% with 1 person getting an achievement.

Though, I do think those updates are delayed too. When I did that with that one game, mine didn't even show up in the global % for 4 hours. Then they all did at once.

atoms likes this.
  13. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My game sold 1,9k copies since end of april until now. Most of them during this years summer sale! You'll usually make most of your sales during the steam sales.

14. lianderson

lianderson Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My game's in early access right now, so it might not help you too much info wise.

2 years of itch =16 sold (hasn't sold anything in over half a year)
    1 year of Steam = 20 sold

Knayter likes this.
  15. Yitzi Litt

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    May I ask what your game is? That's about twice as good as I'm doing, so congrats! :)

16. Plueschkatze

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's in my signature (ceress and orea). A lot depends on presentation, price, advertisements, theme, genre, etc.

EDIT Oh and luck.

17. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    My games generally always sell several thousands of copies at least. My more popular ones sell around 10K range.

18. Plueschkatze

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Tuomo L mind sharing which are the better selling ones? I could guess but I'd love to see if I'm right. If you don't feel like it it's ok. Congrats on the sales.

19. Yitzi Litt

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice! Sounds like you're actually able to make living from them, then?

20. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Two especially stand out

My fastest selling game: Border of her Heart
    My most sold game: Save Your Mother

I do, I pay tax, rent and food from it.

Dezue, CleanWater, jkweath and 2 others like this.