How will I know if my game needs a Crafting System?

Fionn23

Eternal Noob
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I always enjoy crafting system on my favorite RPGs. But now that I'm making my own, I'm not exactly sure if a crafting system (equipment) will fit my game especially smaller games.

As I'm making my first game, I'm in conflict if I should just reward the player the equipment, or give the player an option to grind for crafting materials.

What are the points for me to consider adding a crafting system?

SGHarlekin

Orc Jester
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That is not something that anyone can answer for you. There is no yes or no in this.

If you think a crafting system would enrich your player experience and makes sense with the rest of your game, go for it.

If you're going to find gear in your dungeons, and perhaps even better than what you can make, I don't know why it would need crafting, but ultimately it's your game, you need to know if it's worth putting in or not.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some things to consider when you involve crafting systems:

Are there an abundance of items in your game? If so, are they all unique in their own way, or could they be similar to other items?
Is there any reason you would rather have a crafting system over obtaining items through other means? (Such as finding the raw powerful sword in a dungeon chest instead of crafting one).
Is your crafting system complicated, and requires unlockables/specific recipes, or is it a simple design of U + V spits out Z? Etc.

I think in general, crafting systems should be in games where there are a huge amount of items and things you can collect, and you want to give them all meaning. (Some items are only ingredients).

I know it's not necessarily an RPG, but in Minecraft for instance, their crafting system is very much necessary because there are over 100+ different items in that game that keeps expanding, but most of those items can be used to create other, more useful tools. This is something you could take inspiration from in your RPG.

But as SGHarlekin just commented, these are things only you can answer since we don't know what your game will be like.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
A strange question.
It is like if you ask "How will I know if I need to make a game".
No, you never need it.

You put the crafting system in the game, then design the game so it needs the crafting system. if you ask this question, then you probably don't need it.

AkiraKotatsuhime

炬燵姫
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
DE / ドイツ語
Primarily Uses
N/A
The answer is most likely "No, I don't need this!". Crafting is a hard edge of hit or miss and seen very often in games where it's either just bad made or pure waste for the player and if you're already questioning if it could be a good decision or not, it's very like to end-up in a "No.", especially when we just don't know what exists in the big colorful box of surprises and adventure around it.

If the question would've been "Should I practice creating a crafting-system?", the answer would be "Absolutely!", but with the restriction that, if you don't have a game in development you know for very sure it will help said game to flesh-out properly, to just create it without a game around it for you to get more experienced in programming game-mechanics.

But since asking about stuff and systems nowadays in context of RPG Maker usually means "Should I import a script or plugin that already does it into my game?", we better just head back to "No." and may continue with something more important, whatever that might be.

~炬燵あ

Tamina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always enjoy crafting system on my favorite RPGs. But now that I'm making my own, I'm not exactly sure if a crafting system (equipment) will fit my game especially smaller games.

As I'm making my first game, I'm in conflict if I should just reward the player the equipment, or give the player an option to grind for crafting materials.

What are the points for me to consider adding a crafting system?

Depends on your goal. If your game is more of a farm sim, like Rune factory, or has gameplay build on crafting, like atelier, then crafting system may work.

If your game is like FF, mainly fighting and read story between progression, then crafting system may work if players can use it to customize your builds. Such as adding extra stats with crafting.

If this system is only to serve as a hindrance for players to obtain better equipments, then it's probably a bad idea. As a player I personally dislike having to hunt for ingredients and use a guide to find them for my iron sword.

If it's a small game, my advice is to remove it. Because this kind of system takes time to plan, test and balance to provide an enjoyable playing experience. But it doesn't add much to RPG normally.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is there any reason you would rather have a crafting system over obtaining items through other means?
I was watching a gameplay of Grounded 1.0, and suddenly remembered this thread, and thought of this same thing.
you don't need a crafting system if the resulting items are supposed to be part of the game's universe.
why would a tiny character need a pebble hammer? because you can't possibly stomp an ant like you'd normally do when you're normal size, if you're the same size as the ant!

can you find a random sword laying around in a medieval world? then you don't need to craft it.

RCXGaming

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Re: OP - That's not something we can answer for you.

can you find a random sword laying around in a medieval world? then you don't need to craft it.

You know what? Yeah.

Honestly this is the one thing that grinds my gears the most with crafting systems. They're pretty pointless if they let you craft everything in the game, even stuff that the player wouldn't normally use or outright ignore due to already having better stuff. A lot of work for little or even negative payoff.

Is the main reason why if you're gonna have a crafting system for a JRPG, I point at either @Tamina 's suggestion or have it so that the things you craft are either exclusive to the system, rare to the point where you hand these things out as quest rewards and can't get easily, or both at the same time.

JohnDoeNews

Steam mod (MV/MZ)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A strange question.

Indeed it is a strange question.

Do you want to make a crafting system? Can you make a crafting system? If the answer to both questions is yes, then put that crafting system in your game. If the answer to either of those questions is no, then do not.

Your game only needs a crafting system, if you want it to have a crafting system. You're 100% in control. Not us, not your players, not even your parents.

And no matter what you choose, it will be the right choice. Because even if you would not make a crafting system, no-one would miss it. And when you do, it can only improve your work. There is no way to lose in this case.

Honestly this is the one thing that grinds my gears the most with crafting systems. They're pretty pointless if they let you craft everything in the game, even stuff that the player wouldn't normally use or outright ignore due to already having better stuff. A lot of work for little or even negative payoff.

I disagree. Crafting systems can be a great addition to the game. For example in Skyrim the blacksmithing perk only lets you make items that you can also find/loot. However, the higher your BS perk is, the better you can improve those items too.

Also it is way easier to create a full set of rare items like Dreanic armor, than it is to collect them. Even if you have to level your blacksmithing skill all the way up to lvl 90 first.

But the real reason I disagree is potions. Crafting potions can be a great. Collect herbs and flowers and create HP potions and mana water. This can mean the difference between life and death in a hard end-boss battle.

And when the crafting skill is done well, you can even make it so that the more potions you make, the more powerful they get. (Yes, again much like skyrim)

So even when the same items are found in the game, a crafting system to create those items can still be very satisfying.

Other than that, crafting systems can be a great way to make gold, without farming.

Last edited:

Iron_Brew

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Honestly, I've never cared for crafting. Why make me sit through a menu to squish five green herbs into a potion if you can just give me a potion?

That said, I know for some games it's the bread and butter of the whole gameplay loop, so I guess the only way you can answer if your game needs one is:

Are you going to build your game around its crafting system?

If yes, then it needs it. If no it'll probably come off as an afterthought and do more harm than good.

vile-eyes

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A small game with a crafting system probably isn't that great of an idea unless its KEY to the experience, but with a VERY short game that might not be a good idea, unless you can marry it tightly to the story.
The benefits of the crafting system are; you get to make items and equipment for the cost of grinding.
Unless you remove money or make these items better than the purchasable options, or even simply unique from them- it probably wouldnt be worth it in a normal sized game.
For a simple and short game, just receiving the items/equipment would likely my own preferred option.
Is there going to be enough interest or challenge(Whether in terms of number of battles or difficult of those battles) to incentivize a player to WANT to grind for the crafting mats, or would it simply be an option that was there but wasn't worth the trouble?
Downsides: You have to grind for random items, you drain resources in rpgs unless you are willing to make long hauls to/from safe zones.
If you are in an area you arent ready in and you have to grind for materials- you might hit a problem where you lose more resources than you gain, unless you are buying things or using/grinding earlier level resources.

Sorry if this is a bit rambly, im super tired.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was just too curious, so I tried to solve the problem by roughly writing the specifications of the RPG Maker style system (like a programming language).

I can able to see that ChatGPT-3 understands the problem well and proposes a solution according to the specifications I defined.

Adobe Premiere just crashed so hard it broke my GPU drivers sending me on a DDU quest. Why does this company with it's awful software subscription model and bloated software still dominate the industry? :rolleyes: Can we collectively agree to not support this company any more?
Stage 1 Card.png
struture-wise, my game operates more like a beat 'em up than an rpg. so each area of the city you run around in counts as a stage when you first get there. A silhouette of the boss/bosses will be in these stage intro pics, along with the stage name.
I still do this kinda stuff and I think this came out really, really well. Solo violin really helps this piece shine.
Currently at beginner level, checking tutorials on YT and Skillshare

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gracetierney