How would I do this?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by HitYourGrandma, Mar 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. HitYourGrandma

HitYourGrandma Ruler of all Evil and Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    (I'm not sure if I should put this in Plugin Requests or Support..)

I've had an idea tossed around in my head for battles.

The player can choose if they want to do a physical attack or a Word attack.

These Words don't function exactly like the typical skills you see in an RPG Maker game. For instance, if you learned a Word named Word1, you wouldn't have to learn Word1 2 to get a more powerful one. Instead, after you gain a certain level, you also level up a special Tier. The player starts at the Tenth tier (each tier is more powerful as the number gets lower), and works their way down. If the player is in Tenth tier and learns Word1, which does 2 attack, levels up their tier to tier Nine, then Word1 might do 3 attack, or 4 attack, etc. 

I was thinking that I could use a different skill for each Word that would be added when the player gets to tier x, but is there a better way to do that?

Also, if the player opens up the 'Word attack' option, they would then choose which tier they would want their attack to be in. After that, they choose the Word they want. How would I implement this?

(eg. Word attack -> Tier Ten, Tier Nine, Tier Eight, etc, -> Tier Eight -> Word1)

If there's no way to do this within the MV engine without a plugin, which plugin would you recommend? (If there's no plugin, I'll put in a request. If no one bites, I'll learn js and make one myself. Easier said than done.)

Oh, and not to be picky, but if there is a way to do this, how would I make it so that there's a special interface for it (pick Tier Eight, the words Tier Eight appears on the first half of a little box on the screen, pick Word1, the words 'Word1' appears on the second half, etc)

2. ZServ

ZServ Veteran Veteran

If I'm understanding you correctly, the majority of this could be done. Lets say you have 3 Word attacks.

Word of Tongues, tier 8 -- Increases Word effectiveness by 2% per tier

Word of Blades, Tier 9 -- Increases Physical damage output by 2% per tier

Word of Angels, tier 6 -- Increases Healing done by 2% per tier

Each would have a variable attached to it. So, for example, WordTonguesTier would be 2, WordBladesTier would be 1, and WordAngelsTier would be 4. We'll get to this in a second. Your formula would have to be designed to take this variables into account. So, for example, you'd likely go with something that looked like if gameVariable.value(1) [where 1 is the ID of whatever variable is attached to that Word] = 1, which'll check if that variable is 1, and if so, apply this state, if not, check if it's this value, etc.

As for making the interface change for that? That'd require a plugin, I'm not even sure that would work honestly lol.

3. HitYourGrandma

HitYourGrandma Ruler of all Evil and Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A

Thanks for help! You've given me a good base idea on how to make this system. Unfortunately, I can't try this out right now because I'm not at home, but tomorrow, I'll play around with this. Thinking about it, I could maybe make a little interface with a common event. Don't know how that's gonna work out.

Anyways, again, thank you.