how would i go about making this skill?

pctrash

knight of time
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
in my game, theres a skill which revives an ally, fully restoring their HP and MP but it can only be used once per battle. i cant really figure how to make it work properly. there is the '[john] uses the [skill] command' trigger but he has several skills so i dont know how it would activate when the right skill is used. only thing i can think of turning on a switch when its used, indicating that it cant be used for the remainder of the battle, and then automatically turning it off when the battle ends, but how would it restore MP/HP for the intended ally? sorry if this is worded strangely.

should i just give up on it altogether? its really meant to be like a 'last resort' since its such a useful skill. it would work better as an item to be honest, but it really should be a skill.

Mimironi

But what do I know?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
---cut---

i didnt read which RPGMaker you were using, sorry x-x

Last edited by a moderator:

Makio-Kuta

Canadian Goose
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, it's annoying that you can't activate a switch on a regular skill in 2k3. Here's what I did; but it'll only really work if you have either a two person party, or the skill affects the entire party:

Make the skill a switch skill like you wanted, and then on EVERY trope in the game, have a battle event that is triggered by the Condition 'Switch: [####:YouSwitch] is ON' and then manually program the skill yourself in the event page for that condition using the different event commands available. That way you can use your switch, and still have the skill be used. (There's event commands to play animations and heals and removes states and stuff)

The only problem with this is I don't see any way for how event commands can pick and determine the target of the spell for you to tell it who to fully heal and play the animations on. (If it's a two person party, you just make two unique versions of the switch skill and set the target based on whose skill it isn't; or a group spell you make it affect everyone.)

Untested: you can pick your target's of event commands based on variable. IF that corresponds to their actor number, you could make a manual choice pop up at the start of the beginning of the event command to decide who to use the spell on, and assign a variable to an actor's ID based on who is picked by the player, and target that variable with the animations and such. I'm not 100% sure if that variable option works that way though - but it might be worth a shot.

Hopefully that helps some! Good luck O:

pctrash

knight of time
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
it sucks that this is totally doable in vx ace, but not 2003. (╥_╥) guess i will have to make it into an item only usable by him or make it so it only restores max hp/mp to an ally but use all of the user's mp.

really sucks, since 'another chance' is supposed to be like. major.

but if its an item, i can make it non-purchasable/sellable so it would be a rare item that you absolutely use in extreme cases.. hm.

MirageV

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is actually possible. It's roundabout, but it's possible.

In a monster troop tab, make sure your trigger looks like this.

And then inside the event itself, set a variable to record the character's current MP. As well as turn on a specific switch.

Create a second page and set the trigger as the switch you turned on in the previous page.

In the event itself, set a variable operation to subtract the value of the variable from the character's current MP again. Then run a conditional branch with the condition being that the variable's end value is the cost of the skill itself. If you did it right, it should check out just fine.

And then within that conditional branch, you can code in anything you want to happen. In your case, perhaps call a common event that remove's that skill from the character's pool. You can then add it back after the battle is finished.

Once you're finished, always make sure to turn off the trigger switch at the end of the event. Otherwise it will repeat endlessly.

Another thing to note is that the skill should have a unique cost number, else other skills with the same cost that the character potentially uses could trip up the event.

Another thing to note is that you will need to put these pages into every monster troop that you want it to function in.

That's pretty much it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Started playing Danganronpa 3 in French - Eyes started bleeding in less than 5 minutes - Installed English text instead.
Why, translator, whyyyy???
-_- Now we have punishments for skipping meals, specially breakfast. At least let me sleep on Fridays -_-
colorize an old sketch
Welp... with numerous plugins and a bit of Javascript help, I've simulated an AP system in battle. Proud of myself honestly.
Why most of games like to give a horrible control to an aircraft vehicle? can I get a simplified control that does not require me to roll first just to change my direction?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charliegn