How would you go about making a roguelike in MV?

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by TheGamedawg, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheGamedawg

TheGamedawg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Alright, this is a thought I've had for a while, so here we go.

Something that been on my mind for a while is how difficult or easy it would be to create a roguelike dungeon-crawler with RPG Maker. I always liked the idea of a randomized turn-based RPG, and this would logically be one of the ways it could be done.

It seems fairly possible, but the hardest challenge would be setting up the rooms, loot and enemies to appear at random. I was wondering if anyone out there has ever created something like this, and what kind of plugins or code could be used to create it.

Ludicrousda3ve likes this.
  2. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of Christmas Kloe Ghost of a Princess Seagull Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, I'm not 100% sure but there are many scripts for all different types of rogue-like dungeon-crawlers!

E.G, one essential one for games like the mystery dungeons series: Quasi's Event Turn

There are also some platforming ones and other great plugins here and there and I think honestly, if someone had the time and put in the effort, I think it's possible!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
  3. Lantiz

Lantiz Biterkid Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Also:

4. Arisa

Arisa probably dead Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I made a cute little rogue who stole from houses. I think that;s a nice idea. But scripts, plugins,  maps make the difference.

Marsigne likes this.
  5. Ludicrousda3ve

Ludicrousda3ve Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That's pretty much the basis of my game, The Bounty: Deluxe Edition- especially the Endless Dungeon mode. (Story has a lot of randomization, but is primarily linear).
    I create full rooms, which you end up in via variable designation. The contents (treasure, traps, monsters, secrets) as well as some pathways are determined by another variable.

I'm trying to finish up and do the promo/publishing song and dance (on this and another game!), but here's an archive from one of the streamers that ran it last week. If I can help out in any way further, just give me a holler!

6. Menos

Menos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Definitely something I've given some thought. Most modern rogue-likes build their rooms out of pre-created pieces, so you could effectively create the same thing via a large number of rooms that connect to each other in variable ways - perhaps like what Ludicrousda3ve did. Combined with enemies and chests that are variable based on the player's level, you could have the basic mechanics functional. Everything after that would be style, which is of course a key component, but I think the core is possible without anything dramatic.

7. Marillmau5

Marillmau5 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    i want to play this.....

8. Arisa

Arisa probably dead Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Marillmau5 Really? I've kinda went of RM hiatus, but I can start back!

Marsigne likes this.