How Would You Handle "Finesse" & "Versatile" Weapons?

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm aware "Finesse" & "Versatile" are totally different, yet aren't mutually exclusive traits a weapon may have. For those unfamiliar, a "Finesse" weapon is one that can utilize DEX instead of just STR to deal damage. A "Versatile" weapon, on the other hand, simply means it can be wielded with either 1 or 2 hands, dealing more damage if using the latter. So I'm curious how you guys would translate these D&D mechanics into RM?

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For Finesse, using a basic attack replacement plugin would allow you to change out the damage formula for all Finesse weapons, meaning you can now use a.agi instead of a.atk (or whatever you use as your game's version of DEX.)

Versatile on the other hand....hmm. That one's a bit trickier I think.
I don't know how exactly I'd go about it but something to the effect of, a free action skill that lets you swap between the two versions. It would replace your weapon with a 1h/2h version that either had more/less damage or just used a different damage formula.

Now that bit might be doable but then how does the game handle if you had a shield or not?
Can it unequip or reequip in the middle of a fight? Stuff like that I'd have no idea how to implement.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the record, I'm not really worried about technical implementation. I already know how to do dmg formula replacement as well as weapon switching or conditional weapon formulas. What I'm really curious about is other people's interpretation of the "Finesse" & "Versatile" properties. Like, what kind of formula would u use for Finesse weapons instead of your usual ATK-based formulas? And for "Versatile" weapons, what level of damage disparity should there be between a weapon being held in 1H vs 2H?

NPP6

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The fencer in one of my games pulls damage from her AGI a lot...

As for versatile, I'd say about 1.5x. The weapon still ultimately has the same weight behind it, it's just applied differently.

Cyberhawk

Bravelion Leader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Finesse can swiftly and gracefully strike with precision
So adding an additional attack to a basic attack or adding your agility stat for damage also makes sense.

But for versatile, I find it a bit harder to implement and viably compete with finesse weapons. (Disregarding class/character weapon proficiencies/rulings.)
Aside from dual wielding them or being able to equip a shield when using a 1h weapon, adding defense or magic defense when using a 2h weapon is going to come to the top of my head.

LordOfPotatos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I give finesse weapons either crit chance, bonus crit damage or a technical damage effect like "1.5x damage against targets under ailments"
also their stats are usually split between dex and something else (I renamed luk to dex).

I thought about making a dex scaling attack but just giving them dex feels more distinct than making them do more raw damage.
plus dex already influences ailment rates, accuracy and crits. giving it damage seemed kinda OP.

for versatile I have a stance mechanic. an ability that gives you a permanent state until you turn it off.
for example "2 handed stance" increases atk while decreasing def, and you can turn it on or off without consuming your turn (I use CTB).

ThreeSixNine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I definitely agree with Finesse adding crit chance or crit damage. Finding some way to factor the Dex into those might be interesting, rather than just putting it straight into guaranteed damage.

For the Versatility, I like the idea of increasing the attack power and guard skill while wielding a weapon with both hands. While a 1H sword and shield combo is more well rounded, utilizing the 2H option offers better damage and defense overall but must be used more tactically.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Finesse is pretty easy; just apply agi as an attack modifier instead of atk.

For Versatile, it's determined on an individual weapon basis, so I would just give each versatile weapon a 1H damage formula and a 2H one, then use whichever one corresponds to the number of hands it's being wielded with at the time.

VegaKotes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the record, I'm not really worried about technical implementation. I already know how to do dmg formula replacement as well as weapon switching or conditional weapon formulas. What I'm really curious about is other people's interpretation of the "Finesse" & "Versatile" properties. Like, what kind of formula would u use for Finesse weapons instead of your usual ATK-based formulas? And for "Versatile" weapons, what level of damage disparity should there be between a weapon being held in 1H vs 2H?
Oooooooh. Hahaha.....
Well I guess if I were to try implementing it not as a direct D&D to RPG Maker conversion but rather to put my own spin on it...

Finesse would have a custom damage formula that deals less base damage but also has less enemy armor to go through. Such as a rapier piercing through weak points but it's not going to hit as hard as a Two Hander.

Versatile on the other hand...hmm...if I were to put my own spin on it would probably be a weapon like a Poleaxe which can deal Slashing/Chopping damage *and* piercing. So it's good against multiple enemy types.

Or a mace with a spike on the end. Bludgeoning and piercing.

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Finesse in D&D 5e means you choose either DEX or STR for attack and damage rolls. Implementing this in RPG Maker, you can run a check in the damage formula to see if the attacker's AGI is higher than ATK, then use the higher stat for damage formulas.

Versatile on weapons means that it can be held with 1 or 2 hands, and the damage formula changes depending on the number of hands used. Personally, I'd make the damage formula check if the attacker is wielding something on their offhand (like a shield), and choose two formulas to use, based on whether or not there is something equipped in the offhand or not.

These are simple implementations. With external support like plugins, you can come up with more ways to manage this.

...And I should thank you for letting me think about using this for myself. XD

pawsplay

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was trying out FF2 the other day, and one thing it implements is something like the Versatile quality. I think you get 1.5x attack or something if one hand is empty.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

tfw you're turning old af concept art into a workable game asset (ΦωΦ)
UMjgAfe.png

zGZGQEZ.png

Working on its arm and other leg. boy oh boy getting this thing to move is going to be *fun*
Hi everyone, thanks for reading :kaoswt:
I have a channel for you, An RPG MAKER MV plugin tutorial on YouTube:kaojoy:
Any supports'll be appreciated and I hope you have a great day:wink:
SF_People3_2 added!
index.php

Went to the doctor because I was actually sick and it was covered over with healthy people from a factory shift who all had to get negative covid tests to go back to work because one of their shift mates got it. Waited for several hours to find out that my low-grade fever, chills, light-headedness and fatigue were in fact covid...
And here I thought I've lost my music sense. Good exercise once in a while

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deniscor1