Huge Frame Drops, Freezing, and Crashing.

boikish

Always trying to help :)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello,

I recently deployed a game for my friends to play and try out. However, I'm having a lot of lag/freezing issues. These happen randomly, when starting a battle (the screen will go black, and stay black, for upwards of 30 seconds), when checking the character's skills on the menu screen, when transitioning maps, during a boss battle when a skill is used (can be any skill other than basic attack), etc. Literally anything can cause freezes up to 30 seconds. Sometimes, these freezes will last a while, and then the game will randomly close, no error screen, nothing, it just closes.

When the freeze occurs, the computer's memory and performance start going crazy. My computer is built for PC gaming and streaming, I've run RPG Maker MV games before, while running the program, videos, and a stream, and have had no issues, so I don't think it's related to performance.

I'm using a lot of plugins, I've included a picture below, but overall the game isn't highly resource intensive. The freezes are random and unpredictable, so I think that it relates to a plugin. But I've tried switching them on/off and haven't had much success, especially since it's relatively difficult to test, since it's random. Are any of these known to cause issues? And is there anything that I can do to resolve it? Is it even a plugin issue? I'd be happy to provide more info as needed.

The reason I am posting this here is partially because I would like to know if hosting the game on a website could reduce the lag. I'm not sure why it is lagging so much and I can expand on any details as needed.

1859eac7b7af485e826c52235fbef10a.png

38ae099e796c488fa38c98deaf576e59.png

d8b92116b21b4179890a27e972ccafb9.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

MV Deployment is for when the development is finished and you have problems deploying to mobile or web or so.

That said, which version of MV is your project based on?

There have been several memory leaks in earlier core versions, the 1.3.1 has removed all but one of those memory leaks (the final default one will be removed in the next version, but that is not yet finished)

However, there are memory leaks that are caused by plugins, and in those cases the plugin writer needs to correct them.

You'll have to find the plugin that is causing the problems by switching the plugins off one after another and testin each configuration.

boikish

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Andar Thank you for the reply. I started the project in MV 1.3.0 but I updated to MV 1.3.1. Do I need to move anything over for that to work? Or would it change automatically?

I'll try more with the plugins and see if I can figure anything out. Most of my plugins are by Yanfly, and the only plugins that aren't, I added after the freezes started, so I'm assuming it's one of his, so I'll keep trying to figure that out.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Projects are never automatically updated - you need to manually update them (this is to prevent problems if not all plugins are yet compatible or if the developer changed the core files or something like that)

And the problem here is that memory leaks are NOT bugs in the code itself but logic bugs on memory management. So it could very well be that they are in the yanfly plugin and weren't detected so far because the problems with default memory management made it impossible for yanfly to hunt them down...

boikish

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I updated my entire project and all plugins to their latest variants and managed to decrease the lag and freezing in some areas. I deleted a couple of resources to reduce the file size as well, although, I don't think that was really the problem.

Updating the project to 1.3.1 and updating the plugins did reduce the lag in some situations, but I still occasionally have lag when transitioning to a new area or loading a battle. It's down from 30 seconds to about 10 when it does happen, and I've yet to see it crash the game.

I'm going to mark your answer as best, Andar, because it helped me update my project and fix some of the major issues. Thanks for your help.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wait for the next update - as I said that should remove the last memory leak in default.

But after that you'll have to find what other plugins are still causing memory leaks, and ask their programmers to check for the problems again.

And repeat that until all causes for memory leaks or lags are found and removed.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Can February March? No, but April May.
Alisa: Prophecy of the Falling Stars. Join Alisa, a quiet girl with a heart filled with love and hope, on her journey to prevent a calamity. My next RPG Maker music pack is my largest and most focused pack yet. It's a musical story that focuses on a young heroine named Alisa who has been assigned the ultimate task to prevent a calamity.

SnJj_O.png
Alien Worlds, Minecraft Blocks, Extend Options, Fine Speed Control, Art by Muggu | RPG Maker News #33

Rest in Peace vlog gun...
vloggunsmallface.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bretzel68440