I am having the worst time with an event.

rpghexe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey y'all. so I am having an awful time with an event. What I am wanting to do, is have candles in the game that the player can pick up, place where they would like it, and when its placed it will be lit and give off a light source. (It's a horror game, and is very dark in some areas, and I want the player to be able to decide when and where to have light.) I got the idea for this from the Corpse Party candle save points.
Anyways, I've created the events and all, got x and y variables set up, and the candle going into the inventory is all fine and good. However, when I try to place the candle from the inventory, it lets me go through the event, but then the candle image and lighting do not appear. I'm using switches and a common event to control the event.
I have tried everything to address the problem, but I just cannot for the life of me figure out what is going wrong. If anyone has a solution, suggestions, or can point me in the right direction I would be eternally and internally grateful .
Thanks in advance!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then show us screenshots of all events involved and we can tell you where you went wrong.

Doing this with events only is possible, but it will require some extremely specific rules depending on what and how you did this.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Also, when taking the screenshots, please use Alt+PrtSc so that the shot is only of the event window, not your whole desktop. Otherwise it is very difficult to read them. Do not crop anything off the event window, as we need the information on the left side as well as the actual commands.

Thanks.

SolonWise

The Lonely Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the room where this happens is small enough, you can create an event in every possible place the player can put the candle, that way you don't need to "use" the candle from the inventary to place it. You can even put an indicator in the possible places where the candle can be put on, like a small arrow or something. In each place you create an event that only triggers when the player "talk" with it, and have the candle in the inventary. Then a question like "would you like to put the candle here?" is shown, and if yes, use the terrax lightning system plugin to make the light source work. I'm sure it can be made that way.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
have you set ...?
-*the event* to be at the same level as the player?
-the tile shown as the event image to be not passable?
-the sequence placing the event to make an event update after it appears?

there are ways of creating events out of thin air (-ish), but placing them involve a full refresh of the map, so the more there are, and the larger the map, the more lag it will cause.
so, that procedure is better used in cutscenes, not interactive events.

rpghexe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the room where this happens is small enough, you can create an event in every possible place the player can put the candle, that way you don't need to "use" the candle from the inventary to place it. You can even put an indicator in the possible places where the candle can be put on, like a small arrow or something. In each place you create an event that only triggers when the player "talk" with it, and have the candle in the inventary. Then a question like "would you like to put the candle here?" is shown, and if yes, use the terrax lightning system plugin to make the light source work. I'm sure it can be made that way.
That is a really good idea hun. Would probably simplify things too, for the sake of my own sanity.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
don't use general control switches to control individual events, use self switches.
you can trigger an event's own self switch externally.... it's not recommended, but if there's no other choice, you can do it.

you probably don't even need to trigger *the event* to make itself change itself into a candle.
you can just place the event where you want it and then invoke a change move route for *that event*, and use a change actor graphic *for that event*

it all breaks down to the player triggering an action to: 1- expend an item, and 2- change an event.
*the event* doesn't have to be the one that does that.... you can use an external procedure to take care of the whole thing (the common event)
the events and the player are just triggers and effects of that process.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are several errors in your events.
1) setting an item to consumable removes it on use
This means if the player has only one candleset, it is removed on use and the common event can no longer find it...
And the event itself also ftries to remove it, so if the player has multiple candle sets he'll loose two per use.

2) with only one switch you can only activate all lights on a map at once.
However the version with remove self-switches like suggested above needs the event ID, and that might be different on different maps.

Both solutions have their limits depending on how many lights you have on how many maps.

A third alternative would use a clone event plugin to copy the light sources, but that depends if the clone event is compatible with your light plugin. It will not work if the light plugin can't handle dynamic events.

rpghexe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
don't use general control switches to control individual events, use self switches.
you can trigger an event's own self switch externally.... it's not recommended, but if there's no other choice, you can do it.

you probably don't even need to trigger *the event* to make itself change itself into a candle.
you can just place the event where you want it and then invoke a change move route for *that event*, and use a change actor graphic *for that event*

it all breaks down to the player triggering an action to: 1- expend an item, and 2- change an event.
*the event* doesn't have to be the one that does that.... you can use an external procedure to take care of the whole thing (the common event)
the events and the player are just triggers and effects of that process.
Thank you so much hun! That makes sense! I will give it a go.

rpghexe

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There are several errors in your events.
1) setting an item to consumable removes it on use
This means if the player has only one candleset, it is removed on use and the common event can no longer find it...
And the event itself also ftries to remove it, so if the player has multiple candle sets he'll loose two per use.

2) with only one switch you can only activate all lights on a map at once.
However the version with remove self-switches like suggested above needs the event ID, and that might be different on different maps.

Both solutions have their limits depending on how many lights you have on how many maps.

A third alternative would use a clone event plugin to copy the light sources, but that depends if the clone event is compatible with your light plugin. It will not work if the light plugin can't handle dynamic events.
Vielen Dank! Es ist mein erstes Videospiel, ich erwarte viele Fehler haha!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[dpost]rpghexe[/dpost]
If you want to add something, just use the Edit button on your earlier post and add the additional comment/info. If you want to quote more than one person, use the Multiquote button. If, however, you are only quoting someone to indicate who you are replying to, please use the @ plus the username convention.

In addition, this is an English language site, and only English can be used in public posts and Status Updates - what you use in private messages is up to you. Would you please edit your second post to remove the German and put the response into English.
Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Husband has roped me into playing one of his PSO2 characters. Productivity is now negative.
Tileset A is lava! Don't burn D:
as MZ come out what you guys think about.....Some particles engine :3c?
Who wants to sing this song with me?~

Decided to submit my games to the Monday Night Stream. Figured it might be a fun way to get some traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavaWave