I cannot relate to the music of today...

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Reapergurl, Dec 18, 2016.

1. trouble time

trouble time Bearer of the Word Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Growling is a hallmark of death metal and its sub genres, and a lot of metal does just sound like hard rock since the two genres aren't actually that different and its more about how bands marketed themselves.

some power metal examples:

This is gloryhammer, they're something of a parody power metal band, their lyrics can be hilarious. This in particular is from their third album which came out a few months ago and is a continuation of the first two albums storylines.

this is Rhapsody of Fire, not a parody band but is very sterotypical of power metal, with the fantasy lyrics, their most popular stuff being the 5 album Emerald Sword saga which is a sort of sword and sorcery story. But heres something they did very recently, its also from this year.

and then theres iron savior's Kill or get Killed album, also from this year

Ah the joys of power metal.

Granted music is worse than it used to be, but I base that on Ronnie James Dio having passed away so the past is the only time we have DIO albums.

2. Mr. Detective

Mr. Detective NATO Special Operative Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Well, different bands have different style of heavy metal. DragonForce is going to have their own style and level of metal, compared to Iron Maiden. I don't like metal songs in which the singers just scream into the mic like they're high on cocaine, either. I shut that off after 5 seconds or so. Have you listened to any of the songs I posted? They are definitely not the kind of screamo you hate, and they all have intelligible lyrics, too. :confused:

Strange you don't find instrumental tracks expressive enough. I've heard a lot of good instrumental tracks from anime and video games. Even ones that can help me focus or sleep. Oh well. :rolleyes:

By the way, have anyone else noticed that one of the tags of this thread is "girls girls girls"? XD

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  3. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @trouble time

The first track sounds very much like just Rock, the second is just way too "slow" for me to enjoy it. The third one sounds like metal, but it's not really something I enjoy the sound of. There's like 1 note played through the whole thing. Just not my thing.

You're right in that they're not growly though. So, I guess there's at least some metal I've listened to that aren't growly with unintelligible lyrics.

@Mr. Detective

The only Dragonforce song I heard was the "Through the Fire and Flames" one from that Guitar Hero game. I just didn't think it was that good of a song.

Instrumental tracks, for me, aren't that expressive. They need context. "Rock Anthem For Saving The World" from Halo, for instance, would do nothing for me if it weren't for the fact that what I was doing at the time it kicked in, gave it the necessary context. If the song kicked in and I wasn't driving my Warthog, but was instead just walking... with no gunfire... the song loses all context and all meaning.

In that way, I can't listen to much instrumental music unless I'm doing the actions that give it context. Or, the context of the instrumental music is something I gave it (like say, it reminds me of a memory).

Without that vital context, it's dull for me. It's meaningless. It can sound beautiful, sure. Or sad. Or whatever. It can portray an emotion, yes. But, without that context, it isn't deep or meaningful. It's equivalent to looking at someone's face and seeing the emotion on it. Yep, that's certainly sad. But, why? To what purpose? Just general "feel sad" music? Well, then it's just too general. Too easily manufactured. String instruments generally portray sadness, wind instruments are good at portraying hope and heroism, drums usually a sense of satisfaction or action, etcetera. You can mix and match them to create other moods... but that's all they are. Moods.

Without context, a "mood" does nothing for me. A sad song does nothing for me without proper context. Which means, it would have to be played during an event that I actually find sad. It would then need to over-shadow the event that I find sad in order to get my attention. I cry at the end of "Second Hand Lions" every single time. Do I recall the music they use? I don't. The music is probably sad. But, it's unimportant.

Without that context, I find that instrumental music is easily forgettable, easily ignored, and not all that useful.

It probably doesn't help that I play most of my video games muted either. The music tends to be distracting to my thinking or playing.

4. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    From my experience of Dragonforce, if you have heard one song by them, then you have heard most of their songs.

I actually think that screaming and growling in metal can be good if done right, but a lot of bands seem to get it wrong. Atryu is one band I've seen that doesn't seem to understand how it works. They just growl for the sake of growling. Growling and screaming is meant to be moody, not forced.

5. Stupidbro

Stupidbro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sorry.

6. jweav8705

jweav8705 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I know the OP has been gone for 2 years but I don't care; I have nothing to lose and this post just rubbed me all kinds of the wrong way. I feel like being argumentative.

Correct. It's even creeping into x-core metal genres too. Asking Alexandria is pretty pitiful with this. I heard another one recently from a more recent group but I can't remember who.

Some of these I don't know, sure; but the more popular and famous the lyrics you use in an example, the more it just makes you look like someone who likes "just a few songs." Which is fine, there's nothing wrong with that, but you present yourself as sort of an expert on being able to evaluate music. Also, I don't think Motley Crue singing about strip clubs holds any merit in any kind of example, unless of course you're arguing about the best songs about strip clubs.

Sure, most people start doing music for sake of wanting to do music. That's why I started playing guitar 18 years ago. Here's the thing though, these people wouldn't be doing what they're doing if they didn't make money doing it. They wouldn't be recorded albums without label support, or touring without label support. They'd be playing alone in the basements like I do. Most bands that start great end up turning to more profitable genres of music because it's easy for them.
    People hating bands for selling out or signing to a major label is honestly quite stupid because everyone in the thread would do their job a little bit different if it meant they could make 4 to 5 times as much money. These people are just like us and have bills and stuff, and staying in an obscure, less popular genre doesn't make you a better musician, it makes you a martyr for nothing.
    I hate Greenday but this is a good example. Their fans HATED them when they signed to major label because punk fans are immature (yes, I'll right ahead and say every single one) and think people who play in punk bands need to be poor and hungry. Now they have more money and fans than they ever had.
    The only way this is bad is if those guys hate the music they're playing now.
    I can't imagine selling out to play stuff I hated, I'd have to be able to retire after like 5 years or something.

Music is labor. Labor is bought.
    Every single band that I love has done this. Every single one has changed in some way. Maybe some have "grown and matured," but most of the changes were obviously fame/fortune drive. You just stop listening. Bring Me The Horizon, Miss May I, SlipKnot (this one hurts the most); all of them are garbage now. Surprisingly, Korn's new single seems pretty true to form.

She is, but most male singers out perform her naturally. She goes through a lot of processing, especially when she performs live. You can't criticize bands for using auto tune and pitch shifting but excuse her with the amount of processing her voice goes through, especially live. Literally singing through distortion.
    She doesn't get a pass because she's a woman. She's an equal and deserves equal evaluation; why don't you feel that why?

There is nothing in your post talking about the roots of music. Heavy metal isn't the roots of music. the 1960s weren't the roots of music. The things that you like don't get to be the foundation of music because you like them. You, by no means, are any kind of standard.

We don't really need a whole videos worth of "born in the wrong generation" YouTube comments.

It's frustrating that people like this think they have made a discovery, or are somehow all alone in how they feel about music.
    We get it; but you're presentation is awful and your arguments are contradictory.
    Too bad their profile is deleted.

Touchfuzzy likes this.
  7. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Let me guess, she grabbed these two off of Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock. The latter is a Slayer song (guilty pleasure of mine) but it is far from their most recognizable. The former was also a DLC in Rock Band, but both are fairly obscure outside Guitar Hero

8. jweav8705

First Language:
    English
    Chemical Warfare is known to anyone who knows Slayer, and anyone into metal knows slayer.
    If you go to YouTube and type in arch enemy, it's the first song that autofills, but to be fair, it's by far their song with the most views...but it also has 21 million views. Arch Enemy is fairly obscure; sure. But anybody whose into metal eventually does discover them.
    I don't want to discredit the post entirely but it's like when you talk to somebody and they're like, "Oh I love Metallica, enter sandman, sand but true..." or, "Megadeth is pretty sweet, symphony of destruction, sweating bullets."
    Lol, "I love me some Slayer, raining blood, angel of death..."
    I find it hard to take people seriously who wish to criticize music but only know the hits.

9. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thing is, those are all thrash acts, (slayer, megadeth, metallica) they have no relevence to say, power metal, classic metal or doom metal fans. Ive never even heard a song from any of them since not into thrash. Basically im contesting that any metal fan would listen to Slayer.

10. jweav8705

First Language:
    English
    I agree with your point but I don't understand it's relevance.

11. trouble time

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    "Anyone who's into metal discovers them (Arch Enemy)" id never have heard of them if not for this thread since thrash has one h too many for what it really is (they can take out the first one).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  12. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I consider myself a metal listener, I just don't get many chances to listen to it. Usually it's on one of Sirius XM Radio channels. The stuff they play on liquid metal is usually too heavy for me. Usually when I listen to their metal channel, it's either octane (modern) or Ozzy's Boneyard (classic). Even though I like Slayer to an extent, their music is usually played on liquid metal.

I think another reason I came to that assumption is because she used the lines that play when you highlight the song in the song select screen in Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock. With Chemical Warfare, I would have been less suspicious if she started at "GODS ON THEIR THRONE MUST BE WATCHING FROM HELL AWAITING THE MASS GENOCIDE!!!" Instead, she started at the exact spot that the demo starts.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. jweav8705

First Language:
    English
    Dude that's too funny. I'm so glad that this guitar hero scenario is what's happening. There's parts of this discussion I have to avoid here, but this is why people tend to have their loyalties and credentials questioned.
    "Lol, metal gurl 4 life."
    -Knows the radio hits and guitar hero tracks.
    You pick up what I'm putting down?

14. Benny Jackdaw

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Are you just trying to be an ass for no reason. I never claimed to be a metal expert.

15. jweav8705

First Language:
    English
    I'm referring to the OP of this thread; drawing scenarios based on the information you have provided.
    You have misunderstood me.