I don't know what to charge for map commissions

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will soon be able to take commissions for maps (in fact, this all started because someone approached me out of the blue to ask about commissioning maps from me). However, I have no idea what to charge for the maps. I've asked different people for their opinions on what they feel like my maps are worth, I've looked through the Classifieds - Offers threads to see what other people do, and I've asked people who used to do freelancing for their advice.
I wanted to ask here in case anybody who has bought or sold commissioned maps might have some advice for me, because I've gotten so many different answers. I've never done commissions before, so this is all a completely new experience for me.
(Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where to put it but I figured General Lounge would be a safe bet.)

Dopan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think in such a case it doesnt depend on what a map is worth..it depends on how much time you have to spend.
Most jobs a payed per hour and no matter what kind of Art you do,it will take time and people will have to buy the time which you have to spend.
This approach doesnt Value the Thing which you create,it values the time you spend.
People who commission you, value Your Artwork by deciding to use Art that you create.
So the real Question should be:
"How much do you wanna get payed per hour?" and "how much time you want to gift free of charge if some artwork takes longer and you dont want to go over a "max prize for 1 map..?"

If you do this more often the experience will tell you how to handle this with better ways ,depending on the amount of Requests you get and the time you can spend ect.

Last edited:

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Commercial Games Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

There is no right or wrong answer. The price is subject to the market. Even if you make it pricey, maybe there will be a customer for it. The best thing to do is just to look at what others are offering, their price/quality and then make up your mind for your work. Of course, quality isn't everything, although it's very important. You need to take into account your style, your reliability, your speed, any unique features you offer, etc.

Galahad

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As someone who frequently seeks out and commissions freelancers, I'd be curious to know what kind of conclusion (if any) you eventually came to.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I eventually decided on a mix of per tile and per hour, because I have so little experience with larger maps so it's hard for me to estimate how long a map will take me but I also want to have an easy "this much upfront, this much after". It's probably not a perfect formula, but hopefully over time I can perfect it.
I decided to ditch the per hour portion and go with purely per tile, since that seems to be the most common pricing setup.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

"I want custom, more lively looking grass for my forest map."

"Just set overworld grass as outside grass."

--RM Wisdom--
Any thoughts on my hexagon map system?
Idk where this post would go, so how do you change the font of the choice selection window? I have a different font for the game so it looks a little odd could someone tell me where this would go on the forum?
RPG Maker MZ demo -project with some new features:
I don't really have a use for this guy, I just wanted to build a plague doctor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loomer_