PsychoJack

Jack
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had this idea to put this sort of virus into the lore of Atom. Though because of the current state of the world due to COVID-19, I don't think it's a good idea.
Please, Tell me what part of your game's story was ruined by the what's happening right now?

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nothing, because I expect my game to be around long after any potential controversy would arise due to current events (I mean, I get lucky to get 100+ downloads for my game, let alone whip up a controversy with ingame content).

Vaslow

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been having a similar debate. I have a plague as a major event in my games lore and worry that some will say I ripped off ideas from the current situation.

Probably will be fine as it is and I won't be changing anything.

Mystic_Enigma

I'm Your Ham!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my case, it changes nothing. In fact, I made it a policy of mine to exclude things like plagues and pandemics long before the whole Covid Chaos started.

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/Advocatus Diaboli
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What are you talking about it? It is no bad idea, except there is a half bake idea. A lot and a lot of zombies games have a virus as a creator of the zombie. Nothing for now. Plus game mirrors real life, so it is not important. Except you named the virus COVID-19 because it is clear connections of the current event. Plus, viruses and pandemic are natural occurrences because we live in the biosphere, except bioweapon and vaccine.

Last edited:

Willibab

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seems like the perfect time for it.

hinola

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't see the problem between the theme of the game and actual events.

Maybe if your game is about how fun it is to spread a pandemic, it could be problematic

But you don't have to change your game theme because of actual events
People will not get offended or angry because of that.
The problem isn't even a person or a group of persons, and I'm sure the virus doesn't care about the game.

There is not much bad thing you can talk about this days if you follow that reasoning.

Conversely, it's even the best time to pass a message about it if you want.
And it can be a message related to the actual events.
The importance of health workers, the managment of the pandemic by individuals ...

There can't be bad in talking about the real world issues, as long as you don't make fun of it clumsily.

Last edited:

Former_Sky

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I came up with my idea a couple years before the pandemic hit, so I feel no need to change anything now.

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
My game also deals with a mysterious disease spreading all over the land, but it's not contagious. I had the same concerns as you, OP, until someone suggested I put an author's note in the game, explaining when I got the idea, and what inspired it. (In this case, Geostigma from Final Fantasy Advent Children)

Also, pandemics in games and fiction is a common trope (12 Monkeys, World War Z, 28 Days Later, Omega Man, Andromeda Strain, Last of Us, Outbreak, Resident Evil 4, Lifeforce, Blade II, Dead Space series), inspired by the real ones humanity has had to live through, mainly the Black Plague and AIDS to some extent.

Last edited:

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It would only be a potential problem if :

-you name it corona (for the next decade or so)
-you release it during this time and it has a huge focus on it
-you make it so the player spreads the virus for fun.

I mean we have a huge plague/pandamic every 100 years and that didnt stop us making it into media before, it won't now. You just need to consider these 3 basic things and you'll be fine.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
nothing … when I released it
maybe the world already end…

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Where do i have to play Heisei Pistol Show the same creator that made Re: Kinder Parun
I really get the feeling I should be doing regular YouTube videos whenever I make something cool in my game, instead of waiting for massive changes. But not going to lie... I always feel like it's never quite enough to merit an update, until it's a drastic change. :kaoswt:
Going to submit to this game jam...struggling with the time crunch...
Have to keep compromising...
Just released a new OST for my game and a new place to purchase it!

Ah, things to do when you finish a game.
Ami
Me: It's dark cloudy! I hope it's Rain…
(2-3 Hours Later,Changed To Sunny)
Me: :kaolivid:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatisGachi