BurningOrca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, but I couldn't figure out where to put it instead.

I don't understand while some people continue to grind to maximum stats even after they've already beaten the thoughest challenge the game has to offer without having maximum stats.
I can only see about three reasons for doing so:
1. Pure love and passion for the game or game serious
2. The satisfaction to have achieve something incredible not everyone will achieve
3. They just love to grind
Maybe there are further reasons, why somebody would do that, but I simply don't understand them. If I've beaten the toughest challenge of a game, then I like to continue with the next game.
The only time I see it worth grinding to maximum stats is if it is absolutely necessary in order to beat the toughest challenge the game has to offer.

What I don't understand even more is, why some developers hide useless gear or other useless rewards (most of time one of the strongest equipment items in the game) behind the most difficult super boss of the game. For me this just doesn't make any sense unless they plan a DLC with a even tougher challenge, but even then not everyone will get the DLC.
Can someone please explain me, why developers do that?
I don't really see the reason why to give any reward, except of maybe a trophy, for beating such a super boss. I guess for a lot of players the accomplishment of having beaten them is reward enough. Am I wrong?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
What I don't understand even more is, why some developers hide useless gear or other useless rewards (most of time one of the strongest equipment items in the game) behind the most difficult super boss of the game.
It depends.
If this is an optional super boss and that equipment will make it a lot easier to defeat the final boss and complete the game, then yes, I can see a point to it. A well executed example of this would be @bgillisp's Book of Shadows. (I have tagged him in case he wants to explain his reasoning for himself). I thoroughly enjoyed the process of getting that piece of gear, as well as beating that boss. Huge sense of accomplishment. That, I think, is a reaction that many players would have.

If, on the other hand, it is the final boss which gives this reward, then yes, I completely agree that it is an utter waste of time and really annoying. I have experienced this in a suprisingly large number of games, and I see no point. Of what possible use is all this extra money, exp and gear?

Last edited:

BurningOrca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If this is an optional super boss and that equipment will make it a lot easier to defeat the final boss and complete the game, then yes, I can see a point to it.f, on the other hand, it is the final boss which gives this reward, then yes, I completely agree that it is an utter waste of time and really annoying. I have experienced this in a suprisingly large number of games, and I see no point. Of what possibly use is all this extra money, exp and gear?
Oh yes, I haven't even thought about the final boss. Well if there is no post game or no even tougher optional super boss after the final boss than receiving rewards from the final boss is really waste. I totally agree with that. I see the point in beating a super boss before the final boss in order to make the game and final boss easier only if it becomes that rediciously easy, that the time reduction achieved through beating the optional boss outweights the time needed to grind for the optional boss or if the final boss is actually more difficult than that optional boss or becomes more difficult after beating the optional boss. But people have different opinions on that and I love to read them, maybe they can even convince me on why it is good practice to hide powerful gear behind such bosses.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm not what would be described as a "completionist" type of gamer, and I don't really understand why pushing myself to get 100% completion would be fun, either - I tend to think of it as a kind of psychological trap for highly compulsive personalities, rather than something usually done out of a deep desire.

But with that being said, if I really enjoy the moment-to-moment gameplay, I'll keep playing the game long past the final boss, and in the rare cases where it's one of my favorite games ever and there is still challenge or fun to be had as you get very powerful, sometimes I'll try to complete most or all of the quests, collections, etc. that are available. It's less that I care about 100%ing it, and more that I like having some kind of mini-goal I can give myself to feel like the hours I spend enjoying the game are also 'productive' in some way.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For the grinding to maxed out stats, I used to do that in games I liked a lot, as kid. Partly because I just liked the game and wanted to see my units at their strongest. Also because I had the time for it, or no other games to play instead (was more of an issue in the pre-internet age).

For putting gear behind the hardest boss, I could see it being useful in a game that encourages taking on challenges multiple times, so going back to it again will make it easier with the new gear. If it's like a hidden boss before the end, it'll be a reward to make the rest of the game easier than it'd otherwise have been.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.
finally got footage of my main character running around the main hub world. I've fixed a few things tho even since this video unsurprisingly lol.
 …I think I might need to switch from standard ATK/DEF up/down buffs to parameter altering states. I just had an actor whose usual attack against an enemy does ~25 do a buffed attack against a debuffed enemy for ~600…
just saw that titan quest is free on steam until the 23rd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddkovi