TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've been thinking about this for a while now, probably since the beginning of this year, to quit the game dev scene and return to life as a peasant. Jokes aside, the main reason is as cliche as "because I'm busy". But seriously, I'm no longer having fun by doing the process of game dev. My job IRL already took most of my attention and sometimes took a toll on me. I don't even have the energy left to follow/see what the current trend is.

For me, doing things in RPG Maker was never about making games. But about exploring what the engine can do and/or what I can do. Such as making shoot 'em up, making a strategy game, or even making a Conway game of life simulator. My first and the only complete game was also about "what does it feel to finish/have a complete game" and it was less about being passionate about game dev (I discovered this late, that I thought game dev was my passion). In fact, RPG is not even the main genre I play (I play management/strategy games most of the time).

That said, RPG Maker had done so much in my life, especially kickstarting me in the programming world, for being easy and fun to experiment with and hone my skill. I couldn't imagine how I would improve without RM, I probably would do something like make a boring website or mobile app that I don't think it would bring me this far.

I started RPG Maker around 2009 (or even 2008). In around 2011, I dreamt of making my own battle system. I started learning Ruby somewhere around 2013, and I achieved my dream in late 2014. Despite how I see my code today as a blob mess of tech debt, it was still my biggest achievement.

But what comes after the achievement is a big hollow question, "what now?".
I have explored the engine enough, I have explored myself enough, and I know what I need to do or learn if I want to be able to do something (and nowadays, I just don't wanna do it). Doing game dev or related to game dev is no longer an exploration to me. But a commitment, either to work on a game, provide support for plugins, or finish what I started. If I have a devotion point left, I would use it for my current job (or family).

That said, not that it is a complete farewell.
Rather, I just want to say I won't be visiting here much often. And I don't want to have a commitment over whatever I have released to the community. if anything, I probably just come here to crack some dad jokes, other terrible jokes or just wanna show off my drawing.

That's all for me, and thanks for the wonderful days over the past decade.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your contributions over the years have been nothing but amazing. Thank you for everything that you've put into this community and I wish nothing but success in whatever you do next!

GuipenguinTheMaster

LV 2 Moss Finder
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've been thinking about this for a while now, probably since the beginning of this year, to quit the game dev scene and return to life as a peasant. Jokes aside, the main reason is as cliche as "because I'm busy". But seriously, I'm no longer having fun by doing the process of game dev. My job IRL already took most of my attention and sometimes took a toll on me. I don't even have the energy left to follow/see what the current trend is.

For me, doing things in RPG Maker was never about making games. But about exploring what the engine can do and/or what I can do. Such as making shoot 'em up, making a strategy game, or even making a Conway game of life simulator. My first and the only complete game was also about "what does it feel to finish/have a complete game" and it was less about being passionate about game dev (I discovered this late, that I thought game dev was my passion). In fact, RPG is not even the main genre I play (I play management/strategy games most of the time).

That said, RPG Maker had done so much in my life, especially kickstarting me in the programming world, for being easy and fun to experiment with and hone my skill. I couldn't imagine how I would improve without RM, I probably would do something like make a boring website or mobile app that I don't think it would bring me this far.

I started RPG Maker around 2009 (or even 2008). In around 2011, I dreamt of making my own battle system. I started learning Ruby somewhere around 2013, and I achieved my dream in late 2014. Despite how I see my code today as a blob mess of tech debt, it was still my biggest achievement.

But what comes after the achievement is a big hollow question, "what now?".
I have explored the engine enough, I have explored myself enough, and I know what I need to do or learn if I want to be able to do something (and nowadays, I just don't wanna do it). Doing game dev or related to game dev is no longer an exploration to me. But a commitment, either to work on a game, provide support for plugins, or finish what I started. If I have a devotion point left, I would use it for my current job (or family).

That said, not that it is a complete farewell.
Rather, I just want to say I won't be visiting here much often. And I don't want to have a commitment over whatever I have released to the community. if anything, I probably just come here to crack some dad jokes, other terrible jokes or just wanna show off my drawing.

That's all for me, and thanks for the wonderful days over the past decade.
Bro, thank you for the music tutorial! That got me started on FL Studio and taught me a lot about music theory!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As someone who has benefited a lot from your scripting, I just want to say a big thank you, and my best wishes for whatever you do next.

I think you may have underestimated what you have given this site. It's not only the things you have done, but also the way you have done them - pleasant, thoughtful, thorough. That makes a big difference.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Eh this is fine, nobody liked you anyway. ;)

j/k man, you've given a lot to this community and I'll be sad to see you go.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm definitely going to miss your insight and your input. That said, I wish nothing but the absolute best for you and your family. Thank you for everything you've given and know that should I see you here from time to time, however rare, it will bring a warm smile to my face.

Indinera

Indie Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
I remember you fondly, very kind and helpful member. All the best for you! :thumbsup-left:

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you for all your scripting help. Best wishes :)

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hey, I don't think we've ever really interacted, but I've learned from you through the help you've given others. Thank you and good luck with whatever you do next. :)

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll miss the status feed puns.

Sword_of_Dusk

Ace Attorney
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
We've never had any personal interactions, but I have seen you around and I know that you are a really great person. Sorry to see you go, but I wish you the best of luck in whatever comes next in your life. Take it easy, cowboy, and keep shooting for the stars.

SaltyShu

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I feel like I remember you from back in the RRR days, it's actually crazy how long you have been a part of this community!
I'm just merely a lurker at this point but I wanted to post for once to say thanks for all you did.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I don’t believe in astrology. I’m a Sagittarius and we’re skeptical.
senary_concept_art.png
The concept art for the sprite of Senary, a major character in my upcoming (as-of-yet-unnamed) project. She is known as the Timelord because she can "stop time" by making eye contact with a person; Paralyzing them for a short period of time through a type of hypnosis. Tell me what you think about her. I'm thinking of changing the color of her coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kpopenewscom