PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
So, I just woke up not too long ago... still kinda reeling from a bout of sleep paralysis. I know its fairly common, and just a waking nightmare, and also this is not the first time for me, but I've never really gotten used to how vivid the visual hallucination can get.

This time, It started as a vivid dream where I'm just looking out my front door window, then right as I turn around this inexplicable feeling of "SOMTHING IS COMMING, ITS HERE, ITS HERE" dread falls on me... I run to my bed and get under the covers. Peeking through the covers, there was a tall figure that looked sort of like a grey (an alien), but its body had this blurry sort of cloud like field around it, it moved in kind of a jerky/vibrating sort of way and seemed to flit from one place to the next faster than i could blink. Eventually it made its way to my bed side and just stared at me not moveing, no jerky vibrting.... then suddenly it grabs me and shakes me awake screaming in my face. I bodily jumped out of my bed, and then everything was quiet and all sunshine coming though my window. :/ .... I ran out of my tiny house like a little baby, and went someplace with people, where I am now writing this. :/

So, if you care to share, what are some of your bouts sleep paralysis. How do you deal with it.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's rough.

More of a nightmare then sleep paralysis but I'll share anyway since there is some overlap :)

I only ever had it once where I woke up, got dressed, went out and a car drove right at me. Just as it was about to hit me I jumped up, back in bed. Got dressed, went out and a car drove right at me... Again waking up Just as it was about to hit me. Had the same loop happen 3 times before I really woke up but i was uneasy the rest of the morning not really trusting I was really awake!

Never happend again after that though, thankfully. But it was enough to know how unnerving it can be.

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Finnuval - Gawd, thats freaky too! Yours just didint want to stop! Im feeling kind of like that right now too. Im still wondering where the cutoff point was between me standing at my front door window and me waking up is, it felt so seamless I could have sworn I was really standing there. In a way, I guess it may have been more of an out of body experience since moving/not being able to move wasint really a concern at the time. I could move in the dream, but I only ever felt the paralysis part of it when the thing grabbed me. So, I guess it was really more of REALLY vivid dream.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, that kept me uneasy for a long time. Constantly asking myself is this real or am I going to wake up... again?!

Usually I do have very realistic dreams but never a nightmare. If something bad happens I Just change it in dream, like I am always aware its Just a dream but i was so convinced I was awake that time.

It can take a while before you get that uneasy feeling gone when its that real of an experience though.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Man, you guys are really unlucky. The worst I ever got is a nightmare in which I couldn't run fast enough to escape a serial killer. Come to think of it, that's also not cool.

Finnuval

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28 haha yeah that doesnt sound like fun either. I think Im pretty lucky considering it was the only real nightmare I ever had in my life xD

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Never had sleep paralysis, but I've suffered a similar dream as @Finnuval. They're known as false awakenings.

I thought I had awoken, brushed my teeth, got dressed, had breakfast, and generally did normal stuff. Nothing weird happened until I suddenly woke up again. lol.
The worst nightmare I've had was when I dreamt of speaking with a great void that had the voice of the man I commonly hear (one of my auditory hallucinations). I remember that simply being in its presence caused pain. My skin cracked and bled, but I couldn't stop looking at this blackness. It got so dark, blacker than black. I lost myself and struggled to breathe, then I woke up. I was bleeding in reality too. My sheets were covered in blood. Turned out I was clawing at my face, chest, and arms during the nightmare. Maybe I should've slept wearing a pair of mittens.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had them as a kid, and they were pretty frightening. Usually happened in the morning when waking up. Its easier to deal with once you realize what is happening.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger Holy molly, that's insane. It's probably the most intense sleep incident I've ever read/heard.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MushroomCake28 Yeah, it wasn't much fun. Didn't sleep for a few days after that. It wasn't the content of the dream that scared me, it was the fact that that it had a very realy effect on me in reality. I suffer from nightmares quite a lot, but that was the first time that the things in my dreams hurt me in reality. It also didn't help that the thing in that dream used the same voice as one of my more malicious auditory hallucinations.

The second worst nightmare I had also played on my hallucinations and fear of the things I see in mirrors. That one made me feel extremely unsafe in my flat. So unsafe that I got rid of the mirror after waking up. lol.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger Yeah you're right. The reason I said that it is the most intense nightmare I've ever heard is precisely because it had a physical effect in the real life (the fact that you scratched yourself until you bleed). That's some scary stuff, compared to others that may have scary dreams but that don't have real consequences except being scary.

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@The Stranger - :( thats awful! I hope that dosent happen often. Yeah, I would probably try to wear mitts too, I would hate it though. Hands getting all hot and sweaty at night....Probably cause a different kind of nightmare. But yeah, Ive never had a dream effect me physically... that would horrific. :(

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I've had fits of Sleep Paralysis False Awakenings for the past few years of my life. They usually happen whenever I sleep in without an alarm. I don't get that many "monster" dreams, just ones where I have to use all of my bodily force just to get out of bed, walk outside, and then wake up in my bed again, can't move, do everything I can to move again, go outside, wake up paralyzed, and so on. I always get paranoid that something bad is about to happen even though things actually rarely happen in those dreams. I usually only just see not-quite-right versions of my house and my family members doing random weird things. The paralysis part is a real pain in the arse though.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixelHeart I wouldn't be able to fall asleep wearing them. I can't wear anything, other than underwear, when sleeping. I need to be cool, and my feet need to be even cooler than the rest of my body, in order to sleep. xD

The shadowy figure you saw during your sleep paralysis sounds almost identical to the shadowy people I see when experiencing one of my hallucinations. Poorly defined shadowmen are propbably the most common form of visual hallucination I experience. I've woke up to them watching me through the window, or standing in my kitchen. I know when they're there, because it just doesn't feel right, like I'm being watched. The feeling is enough to wake me up.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have at different times of my life had about every single weird sleep issue you can think of. Night terrors, sleep paralysis, sleep walking. (Also turned out I had severe sleep apnea, so now I get to sleep with a machine).

The craziest one was when I was a teenager, got up out of bed, yelled at my parents for like 30 minutes, and went back to bed, and they had no idea what was going on. They asked me about it in the morning and I had no memory of it. Apparently I was asleep the whole time.

PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Touchfuzzy - Ive got one similar to that too. Once when I was around 15-16 y/o, my dad woke up in the middle of the night hearing someone talking. He came to my room to see me sitting at the foot of my bed looking into an empty corner of my room, yelling obscenities and saying general "very mean" things too something there. He told me he said for me to go back to bed, and I stopped talking, looked at him for a few second, got up and lumbered back into bed. I have absolutly no memory of this. Dad said he didint know I could talk like that. :[

xDRAGOONx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When I was 5, I remember sitting at this little table I had in my bedroom and drawing a picture of the moon with just a plain old pencil. To this day, I remember exactly how it looked. I showed it to my parents, not sure what happened to it after that point, but here's where things get interesting...
I woke up that night and could not move. I looked down at the table and I was watching a tiny version of myself being chased around the base of the table by an Imp. Looked just like the imp from the RTP but purple and red. I just remember feeling this sense of dread like I couldn't let it catch me...but I'm not sure what happened after that...We ended up moving out of that house shortly after. 6 months after the next family moved in, they went on vacation and while they were gone the house burnt to the ground. I've not experienced anything similar after that but I remember the feeling like it happened yesterday.

Zekken

Programmer? Pro-Gamer? Pro-Grammar?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I always try to pray before I sleep. I didn't want to have a sleep paralysis. Because sleeping is more like you almost dead but have a chance to wake up. Even though sometimes the story was interesting. But the good point is, it can be used ideas of a project. Lol.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As a kid I had this recurrent nightmare of a ghost lady entering in my room, slowing down reality itself, staring at me, approaching me and causing a sort of vacuum like wind that was sucking me towards herself, of course I couldn't scream or move or do anything.
It usually started as a normal dream, then everything suddenly silenced and my room appeared out of nowhere with her slowly entering everytime.
It was a scary recurrent nightmare but very often the images didn't stop even when I was awake, to the point I thought the house was really haunted and she was real, fortunately it was only sleep paralysis and a very bad one.

After some medical tests it turned out that I should have stopped watching (secretly) movies that scared me and not overtire myself, I always hated sleeping because of its many similarities with death, but nowdays I accept it's necessary for the human body.

Due to the ghost lady numerous visits (my first love...?) I became a lucid dreamer and a powerful one too, everytime I felt like she was appearing I either stopped the nightmare by waking up suddenly or changed it into something else.
Sleeping more, more consistently and on the side (instead of my back) pretty much stopped the sleep paralysis too.

Last case happened 20 years later, which was around 3 months ago, but it wasn't her anymore.
I was simply overtired and slept very late and had fortunately only auditory hallucinations this time and no images at all, it was like a distorted and slowing down music with a twisted demonic voice talking to me in an unknown language...I admit it scared me quite a bit but nothing like what I experienced as a kid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Free RPG Maker Ready Charging Up Animation

Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated -
Download it at https://lvgames.itch.io/free-charging-up-pixel-animation-fx-rpg-maker-ready
:/ .... so, thought I’d go to the park to sit in the cool breeze and get out of the house a little. Nope, guess that’s quarantined too. Ok...
How do you do when you want to work on projects but the game companies make so many games available for free because of the quarantine?
Kes
I have just stepped down from being a Mod, so please don't send me any more pm's with Mod questions. Thanks
Made a brief video showcasing early game play... Got a copyright claim by BIG UP! (https://big-up.style/) for using music I bought from here (Future Steam Punk Pack). Now I wonder if I should strip any purchased music from here out of my game. :LZSskeptic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truvirian