I have a tendancy to over think LITERALLY EVERYTHING involved in my game, and it's ruining in the experience.

Doinathing

That Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
For example, a little earlier, I started thinking about making my maps before I worry about making my battle system. Then I thought 'You should make some textures.' Then I drew some up, and started mapping. Then I thought, 'Your textures look bad.'

Then I thought, 'I'll draw some drafts on looseleaf to make the process of figuring out where everthing is easier.'

'Should you draw it tile-based or not?'

I'm stress out about actually making the game because I'm the only one working on it. Whenever I come up with an idea, I rarely have someone familiar with this process to bounce it off of, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I keep thinking about trying to get a team together to help me work on it, but I don't want to keep asking people for help at every step, but I also have no experience with any of this, and I don't trust myself not to just give up, even though I really want to finish this! Gah!

I'm really not sure what to do. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it, this whole project has been a big mess so far.

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have the exact same problem.
Luckily though I have family members who are big gamers, so I can always ask them for a opinion.
I work alone and I'm not too confident in my art skills but I like to use free assets for the things I have trouble doing myself.

Conflictx3

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hey, not to be mr. positive but i'll spin it to you like this. you overthinking every step is a GOOD sign, we ALL do it because we all want to make a great game, i'm literally sitting here trying to figure out javascript code which is something i have ZERO interest in just to turn my white text black in places that plugins don't seem to fix automatically. game deving is A-LOT.

but i had an epiphany a few months back that helps me alot, go play a game, any game, and look at it. like REALLY look at it. We tend to look at commercial games on console and PC as these perfect pieces of art that we overlook that even AAA games have flaws left and right and we still love them. look at Cyberpunk 2077, that games release was a @$^^ show! and then the PS4 version was so unplayable they pulled it from the playstation store! FF15 was in development hell and came out nothing like it was intended. the list goes on.

what i'm trying to say is, regardless if your a solo dev or a AAA team. making a game is hard but all you need to do is stick to YOUR vision, make something YOU think is cool, not what YOU think OTHER PEOPLE will think is cool. learn the program, push its limits and experiment, theres no time limit on when you need to release anything,take risks, and y'know what. sometimes you can't get that plugin to do everything you want it to, or that animation just doesn't look 100% right. THATS OKAY let it be flawed, let others play it and get their opinion and input, maybe things your worried about they don't even notice. Nothings perfect. but make it yours as best as you can and it'll all work out.

and thats what this forum exist forum, share pics and vids here, talk to the community here, we'll help you stay sane! theres more of us on reddit, discord, instagram and facebook groups too, your not alone.

Lornsteyn

Sleepy Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I always have to restrict myself and write anything I cant manage yet down for future projects.
Many of my projects failed because I wanted to much, which killed my motivation because I couldnt do the stuff I had in mind, because of lack of skill etc.
Current project is working fine because most is set now.

AccolourChris

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've learned it's a lot easier for me to develop stuff when I get the input of people I trust around me or other developers. If I allow myself to do everything on my own I lose my mind! We all want everything and the ideas swarm around your head like buzzards to the prey, but we need limiters. Having other people look into what you are doing allows you to keep your scope small. At least on my end ^.^

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Try to make the absolute minimum of your game first (basically just make a map with rooms with just point a to b) and test out your gameplay first. That way you have a strong idea for the game's current state and it will make the experience more tolerable.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
My tactic is to divide the game up into sections in my head, then work on one bit of a section at a time until it's done. (Like, starting by doing all the mapping.) It helps me avoid getting overwhelmed, and makes starting on a different part feel like a reward.

Doinathing

That Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
hey, not to be mr. positive but i'll spin it to you like this. you overthinking every step is a GOOD sign, we ALL do it because we all want to make a great game, i'm literally sitting here trying to figure out javascript code which is something i have ZERO interest in just to turn my white text black in places that plugins don't seem to fix automatically. game deving is A-LOT.

but i had an epiphany a few months back that helps me alot, go play a game, any game, and look at it. like REALLY look at it. We tend to look at commercial games on console and PC as these perfect pieces of art that we overlook that even AAA games have flaws left and right and we still love them. look at Cyberpunk 2077, that games release was a @$^^ show! and then the PS4 version was so unplayable they pulled it from the playstation store! FF15 was in development hell and came out nothing like it was intended. the list goes on.

what i'm trying to say is, regardless if your a solo dev or a AAA team. making a game is hard but all you need to do is stick to YOUR vision, make something YOU think is cool, not what YOU think OTHER PEOPLE will think is cool. learn the program, push its limits and experiment, theres no time limit on when you need to release anything,take risks, and y'know what. sometimes you can't get that plugin to do everything you want it to, or that animation just doesn't look 100% right. THATS OKAY let it be flawed, let others play it and get their opinion and input, maybe things your worried about they don't even notice. Nothings perfect. but make it yours as best as you can and it'll all work out.

and thats what this forum exist forum, share pics and vids here, talk to the community here, we'll help you stay sane! theres more of us on reddit, discord, instagram and facebook groups too, your not alone.
that's some good advice right there

thank you very much!

Uruuha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Have a look a this video, Might help you. It sure helped me a lot with my Game :)

Last edited:

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm stuck on multiple of my game's combat systems because of overthinking. Knowing how much people hate RNG, I'm trying to figure out combat that is tactical and balanced, but also varied enough so that it's fun. It's very challenging, to say the least.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Test thử cái nào! : nụ cười:
Các bác sĩ cho biết thêm:
How funny would it be if one of us remade "The Town With No Name" in RPG Maker?
I miss my friends from the work experience program... maybe once I move, I'll have a little party with them. I'll even show them my games and perhaps my puppets. Did you know I make working puppets?
Episode 18 is here. We're still making a game in RPG Maker MZ. This week, let's make that cliff map look awesome with the new tiles we made last week! Join us live, now!

I just watched the CG movie HARLOCK: Space Pirate, a retelling of the anime Harlock story. It was pretty awesome, and has given me some inspiration for my space game, at least for parts of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LanzLuther